Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 10:33:09 AM EDT
My MIL sent off for info on being a secret shopper a while back, and just got something in the mail. (We don't know if it's one she sent to). It's from Nationwide Mystery Management Company (NMMC), and includes a cashier's check drawn on Tensas State Bank.

The company doesn't come up in a Google search, but there is a site for the bank. The postage shows that it was sent from Canada, and the letter shows that they have offices in New York and Hong Kong.

At first I told her to throw it away because it's a scam, but since she sent for info a while back this may be in response to her inquiry.

Anyone ever heard of this place, or do I go ahead and have her throw it away?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know but I can tell you that it might be legit. My mother has done lots of stuff for multiple secret shopper type places.

Sometimes it pays well, other times not very well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Google Search = No Site = Fraud
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like a scam to me, especially since they have already sent a check before she has done anything more than request information on the program.  However, I don't have any personal knowledge of any of these companies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#4]
She sent off for some info, and teh National Mystery Management Company sent her back a cashiers check?

Oh FUCK yeah that's legit!!!    GEE TEE GEE!!!!

Get your ass to the bank, STAT!!!

1. take totally earned and legit cashiers check to bank

2. cash it for instant wealth

3. ???????

4. PROFIT!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't know but I can tell you that it might be legit. My mother has done lots of stuff for multiple secret shopper type places.

Sometimes it pays well, other times not very well.

+1.  My dad typically gets 2-3 free meals a week.  He's been doing it for 5 years.  Although he has to pay upfront and submit receipts.  They send him a check once a week.  No compensation other than the cost of the meal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Smells like shit, looks like shit...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#7]
they sent you a check in regards to an inquiry?
so... they paid you for nothing?

yeah... ok.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
SCAM.  The check might clear your bank, it will come back as bogus.  You will be stuck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#9]
So they sent a check for no reason then they'll send a letter that they've overpaid and can you send them back that overpay...then you get a notification after you paid the overpay that the check is no good......scammm...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Secret shoppers exist, but typically they work for the company they are "secret shopping"

ie: gap has staff that pretends to be a customer and buys stuff at stores to rate service

What she is referencing is a scam
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Dear Secret Shopper,

Here is a check, it's all yours and it's free.

Here is your first assignment, the Royal Bank of Nigeria will be transferring an inheritence.......
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done it before. Usually for meals. The company I did business with would send me a gift card and I would use that to pay for the meal. They would tell me the limit, where to eat, and when to go.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#13]
This one says you buy stuff at Walmart and JC Penney, then send in reports (and keep the stuff you bought). I just don't know anything about the legit shopper deals, so I can't recognize one.

It sounds like my first thought was right, and I'll tell her not to pursue it. I appreciate the answers.

Typos

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]
May be legit, but we have been taking a metric shit ton of reports on Walmart, sams club etc secret shopper stuff that is going out on Craigslist.

Essentially if they send you more money they you are to be paid and ask you to send the overage to them (or anyone else) run far and run fast. That is one of the classic nigerian type scams that are all over craiglist.

J-
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely a scam! If you check the FTC's website, they have a list of the most popular scams and that is one of the tops. I have had to investifgate several "secret shopper" scams and they all involve, cashier checks, usually sent UPS or fedex, sometimes USPS, then usually walmart and always some connection to Western Union.

The check is always big, they tell the people to deposit it, go buy some stuff at Walmart which they can keep and then Western Union the rest of the money. They check will eventually bounce and then you are responsible to the bank.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
If it sounds too good to be true...

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a scam to me. I work for backpage.com & am always pulling mystery shopper ads because they are scams.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top