Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 1:26:48 AM EDT
I just watched the Peru one.

Too much drama, human interest and not enough facts about prison life there.

Do they get better?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I am kinda curious about the show.  Although from the commercials the "victims" seem to be some dumbass that agrees to smuggle drugs, and then whines that they get caught and thrown into a third world shit hole prison.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I caught the first two seasons and it was OK could have been better.

There are a few good ones but I think some of the people dont disclose too much about their prison life because the audience cant empathize with them if they had to do someone or be done themselves.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Most are victims of 'play stupid games'... but from the ones I have seen...

They try to make the jails look all bad and evil, and they portray it like some dark Turkish prison...

But as the stories are being told, I keep asking... "But where are the shankings? where is the buttseks? WHERE IS BUBBA?!?!"

Apparently, those countries dont have bubba's, shankings or buttseks.

The name of the show should be "You would RATHER be locked up abroad"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:35:52 AM EDT
[#5]
You mean the "I got caught doing illegal things in another country, went to jail there, and it was so unfair!" show?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You mean the "I got caught doing illegal things in another country, went to jail there, and it was so unfair!" show?

That's the one.  

There was one where a guy was actually abducted, which was pretty good.  I can't remember where, though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a great show.  The ones that I have seen the people are not saying "poor me", they know they did something incredibly stupid.

The abduction episodes don't belong, save it for the "Held Hostage Abroad" , but they are still good to watch.

I don't believe it is the people's first time smuggling attempt and they happened to get caught, that theme runs in every show.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:59:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I locked up a broad once...but I had to let her out the next morning.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:14:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I locked up a broad once...but I had to let her out the next morning.  

I see what you did there.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#10]
There was a good episode where a guy got kidnapped by FARC down in Columbia. He road his motorcycle all the way from California which was pretty cool.

He then faked having prostate cancer and being broke to get let go to the Red Cross. The guy was very wealthy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Some are good, some spend too much time with the set-up (if the jail time they did was not very intense).
Generally, it beats anything else on at the time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I enjoy it from the "Yes, Virginia, there are people really that stupid out there" angle.  There are a few that were guilty of traveling with the wrong people.  Even so, lots of drug and currency mules try to "attach" themselves to family travelling to reduce suspicions.  One tried with my family once, and told him in no uncertain terms to get fucked.

One interesting thing is that the Euros tend to have a more "My rights ARE BEING VIOLATED!" shock response than Americans, to whom the "You can't do this to me, I'm an American" attitude is usually ascribed.

I think it really is a shock to the Euros that Turd World Shitholes exist.  I remember reading a Toronto Globe and Mail article about a Canadian in Cozumel who was absolutely shocked that his health care was no good in Mexico and that the Mexicans wanted to CHARGE HIM for the services they had rendered, rather than allowing him to leave the country before paying.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am kinda curious about the show.  Although from the commercials the "victims" seem to be some dumbass that agrees to smuggle drugs, and then whines that they get caught and thrown into a third world shit hole prison.

That pretty much sums up at least 80% of them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I learned that smuggling drugs in third world counties is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw something like that while overseas myself one time. Nat geo was the only channel I got in english at the time and I didn't care to translate anything after a long day.

Anyways, it was a good story, went on about these people talking about how they got offered too good of a deal to pass up and that they were broke, etc. The story went on and the people telling the story were the actual perps, you know upper body shot in camera with a normal backdrop and normal clothes.

It wasn't until about 5 minutes towards the end that they zoomed out and showed that the backdrop was just a cloth and that they were still in a mexican prison cell the whole time.

I totally didn't see that one coming and thought they had been out for a bit. I think it would be a good show to show to kids who travel overseas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top