Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 4:10:53 PM EDT
Few things around here get MORE ridicule than the old line about pumping a shotgun to scare someone away, but what is the reason for it?  Obviously using noise as your only defensive strategy is not a good idea, but letting who is most likely just some punk kid know you're there would probably be enough to scare him off-- they don't want confrontation most of the time.  In reality, simply yelling "ooga booga!" would probably have the same effect.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
"click"

Bang

End of discussion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
My problem with that whole scenario is that it means you waited too long to load your weapon when confronting a threat.

edit: What if you went to "Rack that motherfucka!!" and short stroked it?  There you are holding your dick while the other guy makes a move.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Giving away your position means a loss of advantage.  

Racking verifies you as a threat.

Any time you should rack, you should shoot or detain.  Otherwise, use of weapon was not justified.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am of the opinion that a shithead should not know that you are armed until he catches a few in the chest.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, it's not a real defensive strategy but the opposition to the mere idea of it is almost religious among Internet gun boards.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if it actually has worked plenty of times.  That said, obviously you should load a home defense weapon...
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
If youre using a shotgun for home defense, why is there not already a shell in the chamber?

I sure as hell leave my 1911 condition one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am of the opinion that a shithead should not know that you are armed until he catches a few in the chest.

and i'm of the opinion that if i can chase said shithead away WITHOUT shooting him, my life will be a LOT more hassle-free in the long run.  no matter how good of a shoot it may be, you shoot someone and suddenly you have to defend yourself about WHY you shot their perfect little chiorboy angel who was just looking for his lost puppy behind your DVD player at 2am.

no thanks.  If I can scare them off, that is preferable.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Few things around here get MORE ridicule than the old line about pumping a shotgun to scare someone away, but what is the reason for it?  Obviously using noise as your only defensive strategy is not a good idea, but letting who is most likely just some punk kid know you're there would probably be enough to scare him off-- they don't want confrontation most of the time.  In reality, simply yelling "ooga booga!" would probably have the same effect.

Discuss.

Use of force involves reality.
Not assumptions, or "Guesstimates".

Survival of yourself or loved ones is at stake.

Any ASS, that assumes some sort of sound association experiment should take place instead of neutralizing a threat to themselves or thier family, deserves to have thier genetic line cut short by Darwins Law.

Then there is the small matter of auditory exclusion, dope, etc. the threat is likely to be experiencing, but we wont go there.

Agreed.

Now ya gotta post about Bird shot....
You started it!

S-28
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If youre using a shotgun for home defense, why is there not already a shell in the chamber?

I leave my shotgun at a half-load same as I leave my AR, if its not in my direct control the chamber is empty. the 1911 stays cocked and locked tho'
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
How about you run down range firing wildly and almost shoot yourself in the foot.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I leave my shotgun at a half-load same as I leave my AR, if its not in my direct control the chamber is empty. the 1911 stays cocked and locked tho'

Same here, I was just saying if your shotgun is the go to it should be condition 1.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]

I prefer to yell out from my bedroom closet "I have a gun, and I'm not afraid to use it!!"

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Unloaded guns are clubs.

Fuck that noise. Break in and I have to confront you, you will probably get shot not get warned.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I would never attempt to use the sound of "racking" to "scare off" a bad guy.  However, I do believe in keeping long guns with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber.

That's just for safety; most long guns were not meant to be stored in Condition 1, IMO.  The safeties on many long guns often only lock the trigger, anyway.  

Handgun safeties often lock the sear, hammer/striker and firing pin, in addition to the trigger, making them far safer to keep in Condition 1 for extended periods of time.  

Ideally, you'd have a handgun in addition to a long gun.  If you are put in a situation where you do not have time to get a long gun up and running, that's what a handgun is for.  

I once thought that yelling out warnings to an intruder was a good idea.  But I've been informed by many knowledgeable people that doing so is tactically unsound.  

You always hope that a bad guy will just run away when confronted.  This is what happens 90% of the time.  But that other 10% who don't run, that's something you've got to think about.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and i'm of the opinion that if i can chase said shithead away WITHOUT shooting him, my life will be a LOT more hassle-free in the long run.  no matter how good of a shoot it may be, you shoot someone and suddenly you have to defend yourself about WHY you shot their perfect little chiorboy angel who was just looking for his lost puppy behind your DVD player at 2am.

no thanks.  If I can scare them off, that is preferable.

I could not possibly agree more.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#18]
As stated, fuck needing to charge it.

That asshole is going to get the surprise of his life...  right at the end of it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Racking the slide is a waste of a good bullet. considering I keep one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would never attempt to use the sound of "racking" to "scare off" a bad guy.  However, I do believe in keeping long guns with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber.

That's just for safety;  

Hit the nail on the head.  Two thugs were in my front room once.  I didn't rack.  They saw the shotgun, ran unbelievably fast.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never quite understood the vigor with which Arfcom opposes this idea, either (am I mistaken, or is S-28 technically implying that anyone who so much as considers this deserves either castration or execution?).

Consider this: in Minnesota, you can't really shoot anyone unless your life is in danger and you can't escape the situation (IIRC). So, you hear something in your house, what's in between? Do you go sit quietly in a corner you know you can't get out of and wait for him to come so you can shoot him? Do you sneak out the window without investigating? Or, would you perhaps consider yelling at whoever's there to GTFO with a potential shotgun rack? Your command conveys to the intruder what must be done, and that racking sound backs up your demand with implied force. Remember, homeboy sizing up your plasma TV and the size of his trunk isn't going to go into Arfcom mode and think "oh, that sounds like a Mossberg 590 with a round just chambered. He appears to be unprepared and probably has a slow reload time between rounds. If I blade at a 45 degree angle with my Korth combat magnum I might be able to confront him." It's going to be closer to "OH $HIT HE'S GOT A GAT GTFO OMG BBQ!" Or, at the very least, "hmm, perhaps I should consider the offer." If you honestly believe that your average intruder will hear a firearm being loaded and either A) be totally unaffected by it or B) make him more willing to confront you, I'd like a bit of what you're smoking. That leaves (again, in most cases) the thrid option that it will have a negative effect on his willingness to continue pursuit of his illegal activities at the time. Alas, even hinting at such on this site will bestow upon you a veritable conical dunce hat and corner chair.

Not saying it's good or bad, that it should or should not be done. Maybe it's situational. I'm just saying that it IS a point that can be discussed logically, without calls for outcasting or being deemed deserving of murder.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]
No warning noises for me. Shoot first and cover your ass. If he doesn't have a weapon in hand, go to the kitchen and get a knife, press it into his hand.
You'll be fucked otherwise. Or you could take a chance and go to jail.
The old "Rackin' my shotgun" noise sounds cool, but anymore people don't know WTF that sound is.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd run if you yelled "Boong-Ga Boong-Ga"
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm not comfortable w/ loaded long guns sitting around.  It's too easy to knock one over & I don't trust safeties.  I leave long guns safety off chamber empty in the house, but the first thing I'm going to do is chamber a round if I hear something, or go to check something.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#25]
ooga booga always scares me

In a situation like that, I would rather scare them with the sight of me holding a gun, then letting them hear me come from a distance while I rack the action
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How about you run down range firing wildly and almost shoot yourself in the foot.

X2 :P
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
i approach baddies buck naked. seriously. i appear with a baseball bat and bellowing "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING MOTHERFUCKER!?!"

that scares them. (it scared the girl that broke into my truck)
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#28]
i'll just let 'em hear the "squish squish" of me putting in my mouthpiece.  that should do it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank God for castle doctrine.

"I feared for my life and the lives of my family."

End of story.  No civil lawsuits.  no criminal charges.  

An intruder was killed while attempting to rape a 17 year-old girl in Indianapolis early Sunday morning. → AP VIDEO: INTRUDER KILLED Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Sergeant Matthew Mount says 52 year-old David T. Meyers broke into the home in the 3500 block of West 79th Street around 3:20 a.m. The girl'''s screams alerted her father, 64 year-old Robert McNally, who came to her room and restrained Meyers while the girl'''s mother called 9-1-1. When police arrived and handcuffed Meyers, he had stopped breathing and was pronounced dead at the scene. Police say he was a registered sex offender and had served 10 years of a 20 year sentence for criminal confinement and sexual deviate conduct. [1] Police said Meyers had gotten into the home through a window next to the girl's bedroom and that he knew the home well because his uncle owns it and he was an acquaintance of the family. The teen awoke to find a naked man in her room and began screaming, alerting McNally, police said. During a protracted struggle in the hallway of the home, McNally was able to get his arm around Meyers' neck and subdue him while his wife called police, officers said. Meyers was a registered sex offender and was released from prison two years ago after he had served 10 years of a 20-year sentence for criminal confinement and sexual deviate conduct stemming from a case in Hamilton County.[2]

Meyers had served 10 years in prison for criminal confinement and sexual deviate conduct and was wanted in Boone County for failure to register as a sex offender. He was registered as a sex offender in Marion County. Police said Meyers lived with his mother and had recently lost his job.[3]

Meyers was a convicted sex offender who had served 10 years of a 20-year sentence for criminal confinement and sexual deviate conduct. As the girl made the call for help, her mother was in the driveway waving police to their home at 3590 West 79th Street on the northwest side of Indianapolis. At one point, she cries out to her frantic mother, "Mom, calm down!" It's up to the prosecutor ultimately, but Metro Police expect no charges in the case.[4]

Meyers was pronounced dead a short time later at the scene. Police say Meyers was a convicted sex offender, released from jail after serving half of his 20-year sentence. "He had a warrant out for his arrest in Boone County, for failing to register," Sgt. Mount said. For the past couple years, police say, Meyers had been living with his mother. Their home is just a few yards away from the scene of the invasion. "The father, Robert McNally, the 64-year-old dad, when they get the mask off this guy, he realizes he knows this guy," Sgt. Mount said.[5] INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indianapolis police say a convicted sex offender died during a struggle after a father found the man in his 17-year-old daughter's bedroom. Police responding to a call from the city's northwest side about 3:20 a.m. Sunday found 64-year-old Robert McNally on the hallway floor with his arm around the neck of 52-year-old David T. Meyers, who was pronounced dead at the scene.[6] A father from Indiana has killed a sex offender who broke into his daughters' bedroom on Sunday to assault the girl. The police were called to the home in the early hours of Sunday morning and when they arrived, they found convicted sex offender David Meyers, naked and on the ground with Robert McNally's arm around his throat. McNally was made aware of the home invasion when he heard his daughter screaming from her bedroom. Currently they are not sure how Meyers died, as he did have heart trouble, but it is believed he died as a result of being choked by McNally. There was no doubt as to why David was in the room, as he was naked say for a mask and gloves and was carrying condoms, a rope and a knife.[7] A jobless sex offender has died after a struggle with a northside Indianapolis resident who found him in his teenage daughter's room wearing nothing but a mask and latex gloves, police say. About 3:20 a.m. this morning, Indianapolis metropolitan police were dispatched to a residence at the 3000 block of West 79th Street to check a reported home invasion. When they arrived, police said they found Robert McNally, 64, resident of the home, on the floor with his arms wrapped around the neck of an unresponsive David T. Meyers, 52.

http://newsfeedresearcher.com/data/articles_n40/idn2008.09.29.16.18.45.html  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
i approach baddies buck naked. seriously. i appear with a baseball bat and bellowing "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING MOTHERFUCKER!?!"

that scares them. (it scared the girl that broke into my truck)

Yup, come out screaming bloody murder, stark naked and acting like a madman...

That'll scare an intruder off..

Really helps if you're naked but for a strategically slung AR...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Say ooga booga after you shoot him. be sure to blade him at a 45 degree angle prior to doing so.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk304/vwcraig/DSCN0001.jpg

WIN!

But seriously I don't keep one in the chamber. When I pick it up I charge it but not before. Would really suck for the cat to fall off the window and take out the roof on the way down...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Like this:

BANG….BANG …BANG BANG BANG
OOGA BOOGA.
Honey get the camera while I fire up the computer and log onto Arfcom.
Don’t call the cops till I get this thread started.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#35]
"Rack the slide story"
Several years ago a good friend of mine was in a bar with his wife. Now this friend was the type of guy who always making new friends everywhere he went.  Most people just liked him and he was a natural ham.  Well, he met this fellow in the bar and they started talking about this and that.  The subject of guns came up and he told his new friend about his new Mossberg 410 pump.  The new friend said he had never seen a 410 pump and questioned if such a thing really existed.  Not liking having his honesty questioned my friend dropped the conversation and went to make more new friends on down the bar. Now I should add that his wife was a bit of a slut but he didn't care, he would rather drink with the guys than deal with a horny wife.

A little later his wife said she was ready to leave.  My friend not yet done making new friends told her to go without him.  The fellow he was talking to about guns was still there and offered to give my friend's wife a ride.  Not being the jealous type he said sure why not, he promised not to be much longer.  So about an hour later he walks home, the bar was only a few blocks from his house.

He walks in and sitting on  the couch was his new friend and his wife.  Seeing the guy and remembering their discussion about his Mossberg, he said hello and walked upstairs to his bedroom to retrieve the gun.  As he came out of his room he racked the slide to make sure the gun was empty.

His new friend didn't even slow down enough to pick up his boots on the way out. He told me it took him a couple minutes before he understood why the guy left in such a hurry.  He wife had assured his new friend that he wouldn't make it home for hours and they were in the process of becoming better acquainted when he walk in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top