Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 1:05:04 PM EDT
I'm always told by bicyclists that they have the same rights as cars....

www.breitbart.com/news/na/D8CIQME80.html

Ore. Bicyclist Charged With Manslaughter
Sep 12 12:21 PM US/Eastern

CORVALLIS, Ore.

A bicyclist was charged with manslaughter after he ran through a stop sign and struck and killed a 71-year-old woman, police said Monday.

Jean Calder died at Good Samaritan Hospital after she was struck Friday night as she crossed a street at an unmarked crosswalk, Corvallis police Capt. Ron Noble said.

Christopher A. Lightning, 51, was charged with manslaughter and reckless driving.

"A car and a bicycle are both vehicles and if they are operated in a way that could be criminal, then charges are filed equally in both situations," Noble said. "He was going right through a stop sign."

Lightning was being housed in Benton County jail with bail set at $57,500. He will be given a court-appointed lawyer at his arraignment in Benton County.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

CORVALLIS, Ore.

A bicyclist was charged with manslaughter after he ran through a stop sign and struck and killed a 71-year-old woman, police said Monday.

Jean Calder died at Good Samaritan Hospital after she was struck Friday night as she crossed a street at an unmarked crosswalk, Corvallis police Capt. Ron Noble said.

Christopher A. Lightning, 51, was charged with manslaughter and reckless driving.

"A car and a bicycle are both vehicles and if they are operated in a way that could be criminal, then charges are filed equally in both situations," Noble said. "He was going right through a stop sign."

Lightning was being housed in Benton County jail with bail set at $57,500. He will be given a court-appointed lawyer at his arraignment in Benton County.

General •  General Discussion •  "ha-ha!" Bicyclist charged with manslaughter

Not sure what's funny about it; it's awful.

Bicyclists do have the same rights as motorists (except freeway access and some stuff like that)...and the same liabilities/responsibilities.  This guy is getting what he deserves.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's put the 'laughter' back into Manslaughter...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]

I always stop at stop signs when I am on my bike.

That biker is an asshole, and deserves the charge!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

OMFG!!!

Now THAT was funny!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Never mind
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Never mind

Likewise  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Its about time a dumbass bicycle bider gets it! The dumbasses dont even move over when going up hill when there is traffic behind them, they ride 2x even on curves as well as going up hills.
Not all riders are jerks, but the few really stick out!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFG!!!

Now THAT was funny!

+1

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

CORVALLIS, Ore.

Things are getting so bad, why next thing you know, we will hear of motorists running over and killing bicyclists
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]

I hope "Christopher" refills his water bottle with plenty of chain oil...
Bubba loves mens who wear speedos and have tight muscular thighs and buttocks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't it an act of God to be struck by Lightning?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I can tell you that when it comes to stupid, mindless behavior in traffic, pedestrians are right up there with motor vehicles and bikes of all kinds.   I don't know how many times I've had people walk right out in front of me with out even looking up or to the sides, not to mention the old on the curb, off the curb, on the curb anna-one-anna-two dance.  

Tapping the horn button to alert them before they get their head too far up their a** gets them to swearing as often as not.   In this case, though, there's no real information about what led up to him killing her, other than he ran through the stop sign and failed to notice the pedestrian.  

I'm 99% sure it was his fault, even if he spooked the lady and she lurched one way or another.  He had the last and best chance to avoid contact.

Plenty of bikers out here will run signs and signals, but this shows the kind of risk you run.

The other thing that really annoys me with fellow riders is when they try that daredevil stuff like racing blindly around a bus that's starting to pull away from the corner, and then making a turn into a crosswalk full of pedestrians.   Zooming down a crowded sidewalk is another good one.   These adrenalin junkies just love to tempt fate.

Nothing at all funny about it, by the way.  These jokes are not even a bit cute.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nothing at all funny about it, by the way.  These jokes are not even a bit cute.

FYI, the only reason I said "ha-ha" was because some bicyclists are VERY adamant about how many rights of the road they have, but usually don't pay any attention to their responsibilities.  So, "ha-ha" to the bicyclist.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Are you speaking from experience?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Isn't it an act of God to be struck by Lightning?

Nah, sometimes I forget and the damn things go off by themselves.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The ones dressed up like Lance Armstrong think they own the road
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The ones dressed up like Lance Armstrong think they own the road

The ones in cars and trucks can be pretty bad about that too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a fair charge

Wow,  hard to believe he could hit her, let alone kill her
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
If it's his fault, then I'll be the first to say "Good." But I've seen it both ways. There's plenty of bicyclists who think there's no need for them to pay attention to the rules of the road. I saw a lot of them back at college, where the bicycle was usually the best way to get around, but very few people there have ridden one since they were 12. There's no telling which traffic rules they'll feel like obeying on any given day. Wrong way, sidewalks, running lights and stop signs, etc.

But there's also lots of car drivers out there who don't think that anything that has less then 4 wheels and 3,000 pounds of weight belongs on the roads, and feel a killing rage towards anything that slows him down by 5 seconds, even if they're about to stop at a traffic light where they'll wait for 2 minutes.

And then there's a lot of pedestrians who don't have the slightest clue what's going on around them. They'll walk anywhere without paying any attention to whether there's cars, bicycles, or other people in their path. They're just in their own world, half the time with a cell phone or iPod or something.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

CORVALLIS, Ore.

Guys im in albany(about 10 mi. form corvallis) and the guy that killed the lady my uncle new instantly when he saw the picture. The guy is a freaking tweeker like no other. And the sad thing is the guy can only get 3 years jail  I will try and get you guys some more info but I believe he told the cops he was going 5-8 mph but one of the first responders said that was doubtable especially coming from a meth attic/homeless drain on society peice of shit. There is absolutley no excuse for what he is and if I remember right he was tweeking when he killed her
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
WTF is a unmarked cross walk. If it is a cross walk wouldnt it be marked.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a glowing, almost poetic description, isn't it? Tinged with an aura of reminiscence and longing. . . .
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I was thinking about this today. There was a guy on a bike, wearing his full spandex bird-of-paradise plumage, riding along an arterial road. His body language spoke loudly of his sense of entitlement and full equality with the motorists he impeded. Then the jackass ran a red light. It seems very often (around here at least) that that's the deal: they have the right to stack up 4 across and 100 feet deep, slowing traffic in an entire lane to 13 mph, but then the turd burgling felchers sail right through red lights and stop signs. Sometimes I think I'd like to see them hit when doing this, or at least ticketed for it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a glowing, almost poetic description, isn't it? Tinged with an aura of reminiscence and longing. . . .

No. Just a warped imagination and twisted sense of humor.

What's in your water bottle?

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Just a warped imagination and twisted sense of humor.

What's in your water bottle?

Well, um, it is water-soluble. And that's all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Grandma was run over by a... bicycle?!?! Oh well, the guy killed her so he should go to jail.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI, the only reason I said "ha-ha" was because some bicyclists are VERY adamant about how many rights of the road they have, but usually don't pay any attention to their responsibilities.  So, "ha-ha" to the bicyclist.

Maybe I should have made it more clear that I wasn't talking about your "ha-ha", which I got, but instead the other tasteless remarks.

I agree with you on the hypocritical attitudes too many bicyclists' assume.  I ride myself and see a lot of them acting out their anarchistic leanings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top