Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 7:58:38 AM EDT
A friend of mine is a traffic cop in a small city PD.  He is a huge "traffic geek" and makes over 100 DUI arrests every year.  He noticed that the city manager is often driving his city owned SUV recklessly through the city right around bar closing time.  During a staff meeting his asked his supervisor what would happen if he arrested the city manger for DUI.  His boss told him he would not be allowed to work in the city anymore!  Implying that unless the city manager gets into a TC to leave him alone or he would be fired. WTF?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Imagine that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like it's gut check time in kali.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it's time for a local reporter to do a ride along.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Damn right.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I imagine that type of thing happenss often, but its was the first time i had heard of it being put so bluntly.

I have often wondered what I would do if i were to pull over one of the department heads from my agency and found them piss drunk. I decided a long time ago i would immediately call for my supervisor and let him take the heat.  "what do you want me to do with this sarge?" (Time to earn that paycheck that came with those stripes)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Harder and harder for managers to get away with this kind of shit anymore.  I'd document the time, place and content of my conversation with my supervisor, then lay for the city manager.  Catch him driving reckless/DUII in his city vehicle and arrest him.  Have a tape recorder going during the contact, hopefully I'd catch him threatening me with dismissal or discipline if I arrested him.   Make sure every 'i' is crossed and 't' is dotted in the investigation.  Let them come after me for doing my job and retire early on the proceeds of the lawsuit.  An acquaintance of mine just won a lawsuit against his employer (municipal department) in federal court because the corrupt administration fucked with him for doing his job.  He didn't get enough to retire on, but he's gonna be a LOT more comfortable when he does.  They don't say boo to him now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...During a staff meeting his asked his supervisor what would happen if he arrested the city manger for DUI.  His boss told him he would not be allowed to work in the city anymore!  Implying that unless the city manager gets into a TC to leave him alone or he would be fired. WTF?

Aren't Police Officers protected under civil service laws in California? Aren't there police unions in California? You can't just fire a Cop without cause. Around here, it's damn near impossible to fire a Cop unless he's convicted of a crime. Sounds like the brass was blowing smoke up his ass.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like the brass was blowing smoke up his ass.

Or just trying to avoid the headache and publicity.

Speaking from experience, our heads of city government are well aware they'll be arrested for OWI right along with anyone else.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Harder and harder for managers to get away with this kind of shit anymore.  I'd document the time, place and content of my conversation with my supervisor, then lay for the city manager.  Catch him driving reckless/DUII in his city vehicle and arrest him.  Have a tape recorder going during the contact, hopefully I'd catch him threatening me with dismissal or discipline if I arrested him.   Make sure every 'i' is crossed and 't' is dotted in the investigation.  Let them come after me for doing my job and retire early on the proceeds of the lawsuit.  An acquaintance of mine just won a lawsuit against his employer (municipal department) in federal court because the corrupt administration fucked with him for doing his job.  He didn't get enough to retire on, but he's gonna be a LOT more comfortable when he does.  They don't say boo to him now.

Plus a big one to this. Ask your supervisor the same question again and make sure it's on tape.

Then, if you happen to witness said city mgr operate his vehicle again in a reckless manner, make sure you are behind him with the camera rolling and get all of his driving factors. Then it's go-time
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus a big one to this. Ask your supervisor the same question again and make sure it's on tape.

Then, if you happen to witness said city mgr operate his vehicle again in a reckless manner, make sure you are behind him with the camera rolling and get all of his driving factors. Then it's go-time

The only thing that I can think to add here is that I believe it may be illegal in some states to tape someone without their knowledge.  So be careful about that.  Where I live, it's legal.  As long as one of the two people being recorded know about it then it's ok.  I say go for it.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]
We have a counsel man that drives around at the wee hours of the night to critic the police out there doing there jobs.  One night he was driving down the wrong side of the road and almost clipped a sign.  One of the FNG's pulled him over and was talking with him and these are almost word or word quotes.

City Counsel Dick:  WTF did you pull me over for you little punk?
Are you out your fucking mind?  Do you know who I am, give me your fucking badge number.
I will have your job come tomorrow morning.

FNG Sir, you need to calm down and do it now.  You broke the law and that is why I pulled you over and as soon as you calm down I will explain this to you.  

It went down hill from there and almost escalated into a city counsel member being thrown to the pavement and put in jail for the night.

The head of the city council had this dick stand before the FNG the Chief and the Cpt and apologize for his actions and comments and that it would not happen again.  The Chief said that is a good thing because if it does you will go to jail period.  

The main city guys have not always supported them though.  Just now are they starting to see it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
During a staff meeting his asked his supervisor what would happen if he arrested the city manger for DUI.  His boss told him he would not be allowed to work in the city anymore!  Implying that unless the city manager gets into a TC to leave him alone or he would be fired. WTF?

If I was in your buddies shoes, I'd do my job. If the city manager was driving reckless I'd stop him and take the appropriate action. All on video tape or course...

If anyone wanted to take my job, I think that I'd have a pretty stong civil case for unlawful termination and retaliation.

Cha-Ching! YMMV....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#16]
its nice to see the law applies equally to every one .
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A friend of mine is a traffic cop in a small city PD.  He is a huge "traffic geek" and makes over 100 DUI arrests every year.  He noticed that the city manager is often driving his city owned SUV recklessly through the city right around bar closing time.  During a staff meeting his asked his supervisor what would happen if he arrested the city manger for DUI.  His boss told him he would not be allowed to work in the city anymore!  Implying that unless the city manager gets into a TC to leave him alone or he would be fired. WTF?

I probably wouldn't work there anymore either. The civil lawsuit against the city for wrongful termination would probably cover retirement expenses.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Hook that fucker up. Just because he is a city manager doesn't exlcude him from the law.

We had one of our city council members arrested for Aggravated Assault w/ a Deadly Weapon for chasing a girl through a park w/ a gun.  He was a dick when we booked him into jail.  It would have nice to see his worthless ass in jail, but our pantywaist DA decided that it wasnt a good idea to continue w/ the case.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I have known a situation like this where a young officer was faced with a dilemma like this. His solution was to enlist a friend in the State Police/Highway Patrol and call him on cell immediately when vehicle was spotted and let him do the takedown.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Kick his ass, sea-bass.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hook that fucker up. Just because he is a city manager doesn't exlcude him from the law.

Unfortunately this city contracts with outside agencies for it's police services. So the city manager actually has the ability to fire the entire local force and replace them with officers from any number of large local agencies that bid on the contract.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have known a situation like this where a young officer was faced with a dilemma like this. His solution was to enlist a friend in the State Police/Highway Patrol and call him on cell immediately when vehicle was spotted and let him do the takedown.

Yep, seen this one too. Twice(Duii). One time a Trooper handled and the other time a county Sgt. handled. (And yes, same guy both times.) He's not with us anymore.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#25]
AR15fan,
Is this in the Nor-cal east bay?   CIty of xxxxxx contracting the county sherrif's office for police services?  If it's the city I'm thinking of, I know the Captain, who is the contract city's acting Chief of Police.   I don't think he would stand for this type of behavior.....

If the city manager is dui, hook 'im up.  

Cheers,
MeagerMouse
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You're surely not trying to insinuate that certain government employees get special considerations when enforcement of the law is concerned.  That would be un-Constitutional.

Tell your friend to protect his dog.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Smart man that one!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Two words:

Dash Camera.

Your buddy can do one of the following...

"good buddy" method: he can  drop a "sterilized" (unit ID removed) copy in the CM's mailbox, with a "knock that shit off - you have been warned" tag attached

"hard case" method: he can drop one on the local DA, and "request clarification as to whether this would constitute probable cause"

"down 'n' dirty" method (not PC): he can approach the CM when promotion lists come around and use it as leverage for a better ranking.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#29]
They may not do anything outright, or directly, but they will screw him over somehow, someway.
Trust me.(I do live in the politically charged state of LA)

On that note, ever pulled over a State Senators' son, and watched him stumble to you??
And then not be able to do a damn thing . . . .?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:44:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I didn't read all the posts, but I know of an easy way out. Got any friends in Highway Patrol? I'd bet they would like to hear about that. I don't think a city manager would have much pull there,
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn right.

+2.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top