Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:22:50 AM EDT
What exactly is a "riot gun?"

Is it just a generic term for a police shotgun? That was my impression.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:30:26 AM EDT
Basically yes. Trench gun from WWI,
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:30:32 AM EDT
Short barreled 18 in shotgun.. Rubber pellets, and CS, and pepper mace rounds. No choke, Bead sight, and a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:31:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:35:10 AM EDT
The term "street sweeper" also used be used generically for a police/combat shotgun, until the term was co-opted into an actual, specific model name. (Then "reclassified" as a DD, but that's a whole 'nother rant. )

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:49:40 AM EDT
riot gun is a police shotgun. usually a regular 12ga pump gun with an improved cylinder choke, short barrel (18" usually), bead sight, and plain furniture.

trench gun is the military pump shotgun with the ventilated barrel shroud and bayonet adaptor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:13:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 10:14:14 AM EDT by Old_Painless]
Back in the day......when I was a Police Officer, I bought a Remington 870, Parkerized, extended magazine, with bayonet lug, and it had the name "Remington Riotmaster" imprinted on the frame.

When we'd pull up to a bad situation, my partner Harvey would say, "Get out your crowd pleaser."

I wish I still had it.
Top Top