Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:22:50 AM EDT
What exactly is a "riot gun?"

Is it just a generic term for a police shotgun? That was my impression.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically yes. Trench gun from WWI,
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Short barreled 18 in  shotgun.. Rubber pellets, and CS, and pepper mace rounds. No choke, Bead sight, and a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The term "street sweeper" also used be used generically for a police/combat shotgun, until the term was co-opted into an actual, specific model name.  (Then "reclassified" as a DD, but that's a whole 'nother rant. )

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
riot gun is a police shotgun. usually a regular 12ga pump gun with an improved cylinder choke, short barrel (18" usually), bead sight, and plain furniture.

trench gun is the military pump shotgun with the ventilated barrel shroud and bayonet adaptor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Back in the day......when I was a Police Officer, I bought a Remington 870, Parkerized, extended magazine, with bayonet lug, and it had the name "Remington Riotmaster" imprinted on the frame.

When we'd pull up to a bad situation, my partner Harvey would say, "Get out your crowd pleaser."

I wish I still had it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top