Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 8:11:22 AM EDT
The President says he's going to bring 10's of thousands of troops home from our forward bases around the world. Is this really wise? Don't we gain more from our power projection with our bases in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Pacific?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the host countries are getting a little too much of a free ride (Germany comes to mind). In fact they are starting to bitch only days after the announcement about their financial losses over this.

It also leaves us WAY too exposed to "policial considerations" whenever action is needed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
They are also moving bases to NEW EUROPE so our force projection will remain intack...

This is a great development and it will forge new alliances ---funny how Kerry doesn't see that...guess he has been bought by the Germans
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont think they are coming "home". They will be redeployed to other areas... i.e., many of the groups in Germany will be moving to the former Eastern block countries... some from Japan, Korea will go to malasia, indonesia, etc..

Makes sense to me... and more importantly give the Europeans something to think about, doesn't... they hate us, well fine...they can protect their own arse!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I say fuck'em. Let them pay for their own security.

You think the outcome of a naval ops this summer showing our ability to project force around the globe in record time had anything to do with this decision? I do.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Don't we gain more from our power projection with our bases in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Pacific?

Gain what? What do we gain by having troops in the former West Germany? The Soviet Union no longer exists why do we need to defend Germany form it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Our current military presence in Europe was structured to repel an invasion of NATO from the Warsaw Pact nations. Specifically, our main concern was an invasion of West Germany from East Germany. Now, Germany is one nation. The threat has shifted to the Middle East within our own borders. We must redeploy our forces accordingly.

The Krauts are just pissed because they are losing the meal ticket. I say to hell with 'em! They didn't want to support us when the time came, they no longer have any strategic value, and all the do is leach off of us. Let them fend for themselves.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They are also moving bases to NEW EUROPE so our force projection will remain intack...

*intact*

Where did you hear this? What bases in "new europe"?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]
jeeze...guess I am the first to make a TIePo here at AR15.com...

heard this from a number of sources -- new euro being some of the new NATO countries etc

maybe it is just a rumor...that is what I heard
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd rather see our money and camps go to decent allies like Bulgaria... the last Bulgarian guy I talked to managed to, after 2 minutes of thinking of the right english words, tell me that he has an American flag in his office in Bulgaria.

Don't forget about the troops they sent to Iraq, as well.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck Germany. And the holier than thou horse they rode in on.

Bomb Paris. Repeat as necessary until some sucker comes to their defense.

We lost some 300,000 good men in WWII, and even afterwards supported rebuilding, Berlin Airlift, have good men buried on their soil, etc. And both of them pulle dout the schlong and pissed right in our faces.

Fuck both of 'em.

nuff said???

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Rush had a good take on this today.  I think this has been in the works for some time.  After the flounder (kerry) made his speech a couple weeks back bit$hing at Bush for having no "imagination" Bush gave him the big FU with this announcement and Kerry took the bait and switched his sides again... "this is not the time for such a redeployment...."

Someone needs to make a flipflop kerry website... and just list out all the times and dates of him rebuting himself  ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top