Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 9:25:08 AM EDT
i've seen several wildcats out there that are "ackley improved".  i understand that these are just commercial rounds that have been modified to a 40 degree taper (and in some instances) the case wall straightened.  

my qusetion, if you were to get a 6.5x55 or .260 and rechamber for the ackley improved version, can old 6.5x55 or 260 ammo be fired safely in the new ackley improved rifles?  also, is this what is refered tio as "fire forming" the case?  

thanks, sloth  
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i've seen several wildcats out there that are "ackley improved".  i understand that these are just commercial rounds that have been modified to a 40 degree taper (and in some instances) the case wall straightened.  

my qusetion, if you were to get a 6.5x55 or .260 and rechamber for the ackley improved version, can old 6.5x55 or 260 ammo be fired safely in the new ackley improved rifles?  also, is this what is refered tio as "fire forming" the case?  

thanks, sloth  
View Quote
Yes.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
We have two Ackley improved rifles in my family (30-06 AI and 243 Winch AI) and have had great success with both rifles. Yes, you can safely shoot standard 30-06 ammo in the 30-06 AI chamber. That is the main way in developing brass. Also adds a little versatility for example if you are in Alaska with your 30-06 AI and you forgot your handloads, you can still hunt sucessfully with standard 30-06 rounds from local stores. Improving rounds (THIS IS NOT WILDCATTING) offers the shooter with longer-lived brass and about 200 fps increase in all bullet weights over the standard. Wildcatting requires more work where a handloader is actually "shortening, necking-up or down" or some other step before fire-forming.

Karl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top