Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 6:32:09 PM EDT
I have been reading stats, what is the best preforming (velocity,energy,penetration) round im going to find in 22 LR and 22 mag?

i need these for a hunting trip where we will be limited to rimfire weapons so i need the most bang i can get. i have a .22 and .22 mag so i would like to stick with those, but MIGHT entertain the idea of a new gun if it was a huge diffrence

thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
22 rimfire --- the Winchester Power Point can not be beat.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Aguila makes a 30gr HP that moves at 1750fps and CCI has their velocitor which is a 36gr HP at 1450fps IIRC. Shot some of the aguila today. shoots nice. both are 22lr
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you hunting?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
CCI Mini Mags
When I'm playing around I will shoot whatevers cheap.

When its time to get real Its Mini Mags for me!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have been reading stats, what is the best preforming (velocity,energy,penetration) round im going to find in 22 LR and 22 mag?

i need these for a hunting trip where we will be limited to rimfire weapons so i need the most bang i can get. i have a .22 and .22 mag so i would like to stick with those, but MIGHT entertain the idea of a new gun if it was a huge diffrence

thanks

Found this on the net awhile back. You may find it interesting.

Rimfire ballistics spreadsheet
CH

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Aguila makes a 30gr HP that moves at 1750fps and CCI has their velocitor which is a 36gr HP at 1450fps IIRC. Shot some of the aguila today. shoots nice. both are 22lr

Off Topic:
Aguila How do you pronounce that?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Off Topic:
Aguila How do you pronounce that?

A-GEE-LAH
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
CCI “Stinger” 32gr HP .22 LR seems to be the most powerful of this caliber; although I have heard bad things about its accuracy (they penetrated the full 12” from a 2.4” barrel). Maybe CCI “Velociter” would be more accurate, it also has a heavier 40gr HP bullet.

As for .22 Mag, Remington HP’s look like they have good weight retention/expansion. I have shot CCI HP’s, but have not seen gel tests of them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What are you hunting?

wild hogs, i know iknow, crazy, but let me explain

its the law, you must use whatever is legal for whatever other season is going on when you hunt them (this is in southern arkansas). when we go we will only be useing squirell legal weapons. the guys im going with do this regularly, so it is possible. the restriction leaves legal rimfire rifles and shotguns 6 shot or smaller(bad idea i think).
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are you hunting?

wild hogs, i know iknow, crazy, but let me explain

its the law, you must use whatever is legal for whatever other season is going on when you hunt them (this is in southern arkansas). when we go we will only be useing squirell legal weapons. the guys im going with do this regularly, so it is possible. the restriction leaves legal rimfire rifles and shotguns 6 shot or smaller(bad idea i think).

Holy shit man,  you better be packing a .44 magnum on your hip for when you piss one of those boars off.

Are you sure about this?????  I don't even think a .22 could penetrate at all on a hog.

By the way,  if shotguns are legal,  why not hunt with slugs?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Holy shit man,  you better be packing a .44 magnum on your hip for when you piss one of those boars off.

Are you sure about this?????  I don't even think a .22 could penetrate at all on a hog.

By the way,  if shotguns are legal,  why not hunt with slugs?

yah im sure about it, the last hog my ole man brought home was a little one with a heart/lung shot fired from a ruger 10/22. guys in the group have taken 250 lb boars with a single shot from a .22 mag. sounds crazy i know, but i saw it with my own eyes
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#12]
and since i skipped 2 of your questions....

no .44 mag, pistol must be a rimfire

and as for shotguns, like i said, legal for small game. slugs arnt considered a squirell round. the regulations mandate no shot size larger than 6 shot. i breifly thought about 3 inch mag hevi-shot or tungsten 6s with a pattern master choke, but i think that would still only make for a close range, messy kill or a hog running around with a huge hamberger wound
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
and since i skipped 2 of your questions....

no .44 mag, pistol must be a rimfire

and as for shotguns, like i said, legal for small game. slugs arnt considered a squirell round. the regulations mandate no shot size larger than 6 shot. i breifly thought about 3 inch mag hevi-shot or tungsten 6s with a pattern master choke, but i think that would still only make for a close range, messy kill or a hog running around with a huge hamberger wound

Good luck to you,  I want to see a pic of the hawg you take down with a .22.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
The Aguila Super Maximum hp (1750fps)knocked the CCI Stinger (1650fps) off the platform as the fastest 22lr.

Its some hot loaded shit. Very accurate and reliable feeding out of my autos.

Check out how it performs in gel. www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/22lr/agu22-30smhv-r2245.htm

This is out of a 5.5" barrel.

I picked up a brick from AIM for around 17.00
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Just fired some Velocitors out of my stock 10/22. Accuracy was astounding! This is with a plain stock pencil barrel (stainless steel) , cruddy trigger and NOT a good rest. I couldn't believe it. One ragged hole at 25 yards, 10 rounds. If you were looking for precision, find a round that will do that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top