Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 11:03:14 AM EDT
Taken from the Wendies near Chicago State University.  

The pics speak for themselves

Teaser pic

What I saw outside

What it looked from the cashear's POV... I think.

"Moneyshot"
(photoshoped lisence plate)

The driver was an elderly lady, using a cane to assist her in walking.
The thing that got me the most was that she looked just some years shy of 100, similar to my great grandmother.  She's allright, no injuries I could see, infact she had one of her friends with her helping her out.

For you people out there who are probably wondering if Wendies was still open and serving...
Yes it was, I had lunch there.  I walked up and saw the new addition to the building.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Wendy's near Chi. State is NOT a nice place to have a car wreck.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Once again I say...

Anyone over the age of 65 should be required to take a driving test EVERY YEAR.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate to be an ass, but 80 yr old people shouldn't be driving.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#4]
That's the one near 95th and King, right? I used to go to school over there.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've seen many people younger than that who shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's the one near 95th and King, right? I used to go to school over there.  

One and the same.
I'm in a computer class right now.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Once again I say...

It would be much more effective if cops started enforcing traffic laws other than those for speeding.  Instead of stopping people that leave their bright lights on, drive left of center, drive dangerously slow, stop at green lights, drive through stop signs, and so on, the cops are hyper-focused on stopping people that drive slightly over the speed limit.  I know several guys that have had their license taken after receiving tickets for driving 5MPH or less over the limit.  They're not dangerous.  The person that drives 20MPH in a 55MPH zone that the police never stop and never ticket is the dangerous person.  It's the people that stop at green lights or unexpectedly stop before turning right (and I see it around here every day!) that cause accidents.

Better enforcement of existing laws is the solution.  It's like gun laws.  We don't need more of them.z
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#8]
What's with the AREA 51 license plate on an old womans car?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah lady, that's not what they meant by Drive Thru!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My department responds to those situations quite a bit... car in storefront, car through fence, car in someones front yard, car up on sidewalk, car on trolley tracks, etc.

In the vast majority of cases, an elderly driver was involved, and they always have the same excuse... "the gas pedal stuck" or "the brakes didn't work".

Fortunately, none of them have involved any fatalities (probably because most of the incidents occurred at a slow rate of speed).
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Once again I say...

It would be much more effective if cops started enforcing traffic laws other than those for speeding.  Instead of stopping people that leave their bright lights on, drive left of center, drive dangerously slow, stop at green lights, drive through stop signs, and so on, the cops are hyper-focused on stopping people that drive slightly over the speed limit.  I know several guys that have had their license taken after receiving tickets for driving 5MPH or less over the limit.  They're not dangerous.  The person that drives 20MPH in a 55MPH zone that the police never stop and never ticket is the dangerous person.  It's the people that stop at green lights or unexpectedly stop before turning right (and I see it around here every day!) that cause accidents.

Better enforcement of existing laws is the solution.  It's like gun laws.  We don't need more of them.z

Excellent point, and add, "those people that swing wide left to make a right turn."
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
DRIVE THROUGH
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I call FAKE on the car's tag, the print isn't even the same.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My department responds to those situations quite a bit... car in storefront, car through fence, car in someones front yard, car up on sidewalk, car on trolley tracks, etc.

In the vast majority of cases, an elderly driver was involved, and they always have the same excuse... "the gas pedal stuck" or "the brakes didn't work".

Fortunately, none of them have involved any fatalities (probably because most of the incidents occurred at a slow rate of speed).

You left out my favorite,  This lady who destroyed a trailer in our depts area, said with a straight face " Well, I kept pushing the break harder and harder, but the car kept going faster nad faster"  

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Once again I say...

Anyone over the age of 65 Everyone should be required to take a driving test EVERY YEAR.

Fixed it for ya.

Something needs to be done.

Locally, a year or so ago, an elderly woman renewed her license at the DMV, walked out to the multi level parking garage and drove off the roof, fatally I might add.

Judgment and reaction times decrease with age, it WILL happen to me.

No sense denying it.

But, if it takes making everyone take a ride along test every year, so be it.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Locally, a year or so ago, an elderly woman renewed her license at the DMV, walked out to the multi level parking garage and drove off the roof, fatally I might add.

No sense denying it.

Just curious, but would you support tests for people to own guns as they get older?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It would be much more effective if cops started enforcing traffic laws other than those for speeding...  The person that drives 20MPH in a 55MPH zone that the police never stop and never ticket

a cop here in san antonio did that a while back.  he gave some bitch who was driving 30mph in a 70 a ticket...

i still remember the news story about it:  "a white cop harassed a hispanic lady who was doing nothing wrong.  it was an outrage!"

anyways, i agree completely.  before i moved, i was commuting to and from work on 281 north of stone oak parkway.  anyone in san antonio knows about the stone oak people...  upper middle class "law doesn't apply to me and i can drive any way i want".  i hated it.  i had to put up with them driving with their brights on; their failure to signal(no one signals - ever.  you'd think it was illegal to do so); their driving at either rediculously low, or rediculously fast speeds; the talking on cell phones and not paying attention to the road; the pulling out in fron of fast moving cars; etc...  i could go on for hours.

all this bullshit that i see on a daily basis.  there are never cops patrolling the streets to keep these idiots in line...  instead, they sit at speed traps on wide opens roads that have very little traffic on them just waiting for someone to speed.  i get a ticket for going 11 over, but the bitch that swerves into my lane, forcing me onto the shoulder gets nothing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn I must be getting old, I remember when that store had "Superbar" attached to its sign.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I was working with an attending (on a rotation) who had to call the DMV and request an investigation into an elderly man (came into the hospital with Dizzy spells) so they could pull his license.

It is VERY sad for them to lose their independance..often a crushing blow.  

However, one elderly person can kill a whole car full of innocent people just by pulling in front of them, or running over them, etc.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Stop old people from driving??  Hell, that would be worse than having rug rats that can't drive.  They don't have long to live, let 'em have a little fun.  I would be for a law, however, that limits their top speed to 25 mph.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My father's aunt is 95.  Never in a car wreck.  Her car got heavily damaged a couple months ago.............not by her.  She got it stuck in her driveway, and when a neighbor came out to unstick it, the tires caught and he backed it into a tree and peeled it open, damn middle aged people
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be much more effective if cops started enforcing traffic laws other than those for speeding...  The person that drives 20MPH in a 55MPH zone that the police never stop and never ticket

a cop here in san antonio did that a while back.  he gave some bitch who was driving 30mph in a 70 a ticket...

i still remember the news story about it:  "a white cop harassed a hispanic lady who was doing nothing wrong.  it was an outrage!"

anyways, i agree completely.  before i moved, i was commuting to and from work on 281 north of stone oak parkway.  anyone in san antonio knows about the stone oak people...  upper middle class "law doesn't apply to me and i can drive any way i want".  i hated it.  i had to put up with them driving with their brights on; their failure to signal(no one signals - ever.  you'd think it was illegal to do so); their driving at either rediculously low, or rediculously fast speeds; the talking on cell phones and not paying attention to the road; the pulling out in fron of fast moving cars; etc...  i could go on for hours.

all this bullshit that i see on a daily basis.  there are never cops patrolling the streets to keep these idiots in line...  instead, they sit at speed traps on wide opens roads that have very little traffic on them just waiting for someone to speed.  i get a ticket for going 11 over, but the bitch that swerves into my lane, forcing me onto the shoulder gets nothing.

One problem might be that there are NEVER any cops in Stone Oak. I ride my bike there all the time:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=209527
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What's with the AREA 51 license plate on an old womans car?

He told you it was photoshoped. I'm sure for the persons privacy. Not smart to post your plate number online so some nutcase can go down to the BMV, pay $2, and get your name/address.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I call FAKE on the car's tag, the print isn't even the same.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No sense denying it.

Just curious, but would you support tests for people to own guns as they get older?

Certainly not.

Why not?  There is a constitutional right to keep and bear arms.  

There is no such right to be issued a driver’s license.

A better question, Would I support yearly testing for those who are licensed to carry concealed weapons for defense?

I’d like information concerning the incidence of increased misuse, like shooting out that same Wendy’s window, only to claim the safety failed.

If that is a legitimate concern, then, yes, I’d support it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

One problem might be that there are NEVER any cops in Stone Oak. I ride my bike there all the time:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=209527

that too.  in all of stone oak, there are two officers patrolling at any given time.  you can usually find both of them at whataburger...  maybe that's why i was broken into three times in my driveway when i lived there.  oh, and my garage was broken into as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top