Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2002 6:39:18 PM EDT
Not good...[url]http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=2211[/url]

What will constitute the "last straw"? I'm beginning to believe that for most "gun owners" there will never be one...

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is Stewart essentially representing himself in this matter?

Christ...with all the money that is collected by the NRA, you would think that they could help out in a situation like this!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe they don't want to help.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

The NRA is a reasonable organization that believes in reasonable controls on reasonable guns.

Bob Stewart is an extremist whom no reasonable organization supports.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
What makes you say Stewart is an extremist, Achmed? Did you ever find yourself some Rooskaya?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Bob Stewart is going to loose and spend many years in prison because he's a complete moron.  And anyone who is stupid enough to forego competent legal representation and defend himself deserves what he gets.  Unfortunately the actions of one idiot will have negative ramifications for us all.

I know attorneys - good ones!! - that know better than to represent themselves.

Bob Stewart is not a hero or a martyr - he's a stupid fuck who is going to make things worse for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The NRA is a reasonable organization that believes in reasonable controls on reasonable guns.

Bob Stewart is an extremist whom no reasonable organization supports.
View Quote

The protection of our rights is tested, however, not when what we do or say is popular but when it is unpopular. Stated most starkly, a free society is tested by the way it protects the rights of its least popular members.
                         PILON, ROGER

It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own.
                         JEFFERSON, THOMAS

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Granted, he is not a role model & should not be defending himself...still, he has been thrust upon us as a model case...those uninformed will judge us by his actions & the results of his case.

He should be helped...& that will help the rest of us.

Just my opinion....
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this BOB from  ASA in Scottsdale?...
Well maybe this is payback for his shity attitude towards his clients. I bet somebody got really pissed at him and did him in to the ATF.  I have read a lot of posts in the past about him throwing things at the customers that came back into the store for customer service.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
maybe he is guilty
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
maybe he is guilty
View Quote

Of what?

Unless Mr. Stewart is a well experience lawyer, he is an idiot for trying to represent himself.  First of all it gives the jury a bad impression of him.  Who in their right mind would represent themselves?  Well, someone who is crazy will.  All of his statements, actions, witnesses will be looked down upon because he isn't a "professional".

There are lawyers who will work for free on certain cases.  A case such as this one would surely attract lawyers who would work for free or a low cost, just to get their name out there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is this BOB from  ASA in Scottsdale?...

(rant snipped)

View Quote

No, there is more than one person in the gun industry named Bob.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm gonna have to agree with the others and say that he is a complete moron for wanting to represent himself.

One little slip up can cost you the case, while on the flip side, if you are knowledgeable enough to trip up the prosecution on one point, it could be enough to win you the case. This should all be left to a professional that does jury trials for a living.

While I wish Bob the best I believe he is doing a great disservice to the firearms community as a whole by tring to tackle it by himself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, he is THE Bob from ASA. If you do this you will find:
-ASA (American Spirit Arms) is gone from the Industry forum.
-If you go to www.gunkits.com it will take you to the ASA page.
I guess payback is a bitch!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What makes you say Stewart is an extremist, Achmed?
View Quote

Becuase I'm an extremist, and I know a fellow extremist when I see one!

I guess I need to leave the sarcasm to Imbroglio.  It looks like everyone took me seriously.
Did you ever find yourself some Rooskaya?
View Quote

Nyet, but there is always hope.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, he is THE Bob from ASA. If you do this you will find:
-ASA (American Spirit Arms) is gone from the Industry forum.
-If you go to www.gunkits.com it will take you to the ASA page.
I guess payback is a bitch!!!
View Quote

Bob Stewart could not possibly own ASA. The main reason being, he is a previously convicted felon who would be unable to obtain an FFL or deal in actual firearms. Which is why he decided to build and sell kits. Felon in possession of a firearm is one of the charges that the BATF has currently brought against him by the way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Bob Stewart is NOT the Bob from ASA. Bob Stewart is(was) the owner of Maadi-Griffin, the .50BMG kits. He got the shaft for being a convicted felon in posession of illegal firearms.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
maybe he is guilty
View Quote

Of what?

Unless Mr. Stewart is a well experience lawyer, he is an idiot for trying to represent himself.  First of all it gives the jury a bad impression of him.  Who in their right mind would represent themselves?  Well, someone who is crazy will.  All of his statements, actions, witnesses will be looked down upon because he isn't a "professional".

There are lawyers who will work for free on certain cases.  A case such as this one would surely attract lawyers who would work for free or a low cost, just to get their name out there.
View Quote

I know he's making a bad decision on representing himself.  I've actually read some of his motions/briefs. ouch.
[url]www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=1444[/url]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#19]
The prosecution of Bob Stewart is on two issues. First being the 50bmg not being 80% or less in manufacturing. Second is the ownership of firearms in his house. Bob said that the firearms are owned by his wife. However, BATF is alleging that his wife said these were his.

Everyone's belief of whether Bob is guilty or not hinges upon their personal interpretation on the 2nd amendment as usual.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#20]
And anyone who is stupid enough to forego competent legal representation and defend himself deserves what he gets.
View Quote

What kind of society do we live in where someone is "stupid" when they defend themselves?  Using the same logic, I'm stupid for having my shotgun beside my bed.  I should call 911 for "competent" protection.  I'll just ask the bad guy to wait 20-30 minutes it takes for the police to arrive, assuming they bother to show (which they didn't the last time I called).z
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What kind of society do we live in where someone is "stupid" when they defend themselves?  Using the same logic, I'm stupid for having my shotgun beside my bed.  I should call 911 for "competent" protection.
View Quote

Because he isn't a professional in the area and not only will he screw himself he will screw all the gun owners by having another case on the books where the ruling was against us.

If your house was on fire, would you grab your garden hose and rush back into the house to try to put it out?  No, because you would be over your head, you wouldn't have the proper training or equipment.  The same goes for trying to take on the US Government and representing yourself.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And anyone who is stupid enough to forego competent legal representation and defend himself deserves what he gets.
View Quote

What kind of society do we live in where someone is "stupid" when they defend themselves?  Using the same logic, I'm stupid for having my shotgun beside my bed.  I should call 911 for "competent" protection.  I'll just ask the bad guy to wait 20-30 minutes it takes for the police to arrive, assuming they bother to show (which they didn't the last time I called).z
View Quote

So I guess you practice self surgery too huh?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to the link posted by mtnpatriot but all the news is outdated, the latest being from January, 2001.  Several respondents to the post seem to agree that Stewart is an "extremist" and a "fool" but what is the current situation in this case.

He may be an "extremist" but he may not be a fool and he has had legal counsel sitting by his side in proceedings I read.  

pdog
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top