Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 5/26/2003 6:17:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 4:31:59 AM EST by SuperAlpha]
I had a pool installed a few years ago. They installed an in-ground auto-filler that is located in the concrete deck and plumbed into the pool and they stubbed it so I could plumb it the way I wanted. I had told them not to hook it up since I didn't like their method. Well, after years of procrastination, I plumbed it in on Saturday and everything seemed okay, until I noticed that it was still running this morning. It is basically a float-valve like in a toilet. Apparently when I was adjusting it, I overtorqued it and cracked the female part at the base of the well. There was a restrictor plate and screen. (there was a lot of crud in the screen) I assume there must be a way to fix this because otherwise why would they have a screen installed in there unless they intended that it would never be changed? Is this easy to fix? Do I need to remove the entire well? How? If so, how do I diconnect and reconnect the plumbing to the pool and to the waterline under the well?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:34:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By SuperAlpha: I had told them not to hook it up since I didn't like their method.
View Quote
You're right. Your method sounds a lot better. Just kidding man...I couldn't resist. Good luck on getting it fixed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:51:57 AM EST
Clarification: I did not like the way they were going to route the plumbing through the yard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:43:59 AM EST
just throw the damn hose in the pool every couple days or so... are you that lazy???
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:25:40 PM EST
Never seen one. Sounds like you got a real problem. I just got done spending $4,000 to fix a leak from the kitchen drain. It was under the foundation and they had to jack hammer my kitchen floor up to fix it. I just fill my pool with a garden hose once a month in the winter and about once a week in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:30:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:13:50 AM EST
I saw it. I told him he should add a unit into the flowerbed, and tap off of the water line that passes through the current autofill...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:33:16 AM EST
Hell, since I installed and filled my pool last year, all I've been doing is draining water off. Rain, rain, rain. Rain, rain, rain.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:29:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/28/2003 7:45:43 PM EST by SuperAlpha]
UPDATE: I was able to drill and feel around the fitting. I now need a 3/4 inch inner-diameter coupler. (basically a short pipe that has an outer diameter of 3/4") LT? These are NOT at Home Depot. Help me find one pleeeeeeeeeeeeeez! Also, I need an adapter to go to the 3/4" threads on a new PVC fitting, to the auto-filler assembly. These threads can be found on all auto-fillers that screw into the bottom of your tank on your toilet. Again, Home Depot does not have an adapter or PVC fitting to connect to it!!! [:(] Help me find an adapter pleeeeeeeeeeeeeez!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:21:27 AM EST
try [url]www.mcmaster.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:53:17 AM EST
DAMMIT!!! This material appears to be nylon! But inside the nylon appears to be black pipe. Hopefully I can attach to the black pipe with PVC cement!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:39:43 AM EST
Ok. I bought a schedule 80 1/2" nipple. Had it turned down on the lathe by a guy at work. This piece fixed the problem and gave me standard male NPT threads at the bottom of the well. Then I had the guy make the female "bastard threads" using a 3/4" schedule 80 nipple and a 1" around it to give it extra thickness. Then I got a Female-Female 3/4"-1/2" NPT reducing fitting and connected the two pieces. The guy told me the threads were non-standard on purpose! The NPT part is not necessary but I wanted unieversal fittings in case there are future problems. I could have easily had him make an entire 1 piece female bastard thread with 3/4" OD stub for the repair though.
Top Top