Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2002 12:47:09 PM EDT
A few of us were talking about a Texas land purchase similar to the Vermont deal that was posted a few weeks ago. We thought a chunk of land in the hill country wold be a nice location because it would be centrally located in relation to all of the large cities. ETH suggested that we from a corporation to purchase the land. Anyone interested would become an investor in the corporation. We could build some nice ranges and set up some camping areas. We also talked about building a structure similar to what ETH has at his place. I'm going to start researching land pices in the hill country and see if this is even feasable.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to get a bunch of land at a relatively cheap price and don't mind it being in Mideastern Oklahoma then there is a lot of it around the Kiamichi mountains. It's all wooded areas relatively close to a national forest.

Just a thought. Either way, I might be interested.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
There is cheap land here in Kentucky as well.  $250 an acre.  It's all in the hills though.

It's also close to a national forest...which brings up a concern.  What are the chances of an envirnomentalist president like Gore coming in and saying the forests need to preserved and triples the size of all the existing national forests.  Would the federal government then have control over what people can and cannot do on that land?  It would just suck to buy land in the hills to get away from everyone and their rules only to have the federal government come in and lay down more restrictive rules.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want to get a bunch of land at a relatively cheap price and don't mind it being in Mideastern Oklahoma then there is a lot of it around the Kiamichi mountains. It's all wooded areas relatively close to a national forest.

Just a thought. Either way, I might be interested.
View Quote

What Ponyboy says is true.  East Central Oklahoma land is a real deal compared to most of Texas.  I don't know much about the gun laws there tho'.

What we may be looking for to use for ranges and such will probably be less desirable land.  So the centrally located Hill Country should have some deals still available.

Last fall there was some raw land around Bridgeport (north of Fort Worth) on the market for $750 an acre.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, I'll go where ever the land is cheap! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep it within 4 hours of Austin and I'll join in.  Hills make EXCELLENT berms!
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I think everyone should send me money so i can Buy a used HUMMER that i want.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]
As long as it's not more than a 4 hour drive from San Antonio.. I guess I'm in. But I have to warn you.. I don't have alot of money. But I'm willing to put in what I can whether it be time, money or supplies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
It may be too far west to be realistic but there is a LOT of inexpensive open land in the Trans Pecos.  Places that could be setup like the NRA Whittington Center at Raton, NM that shoots into a box canyon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It may be too far west to be realistic but there is a LOT of inexpensive open land in the Trans Pecos.  Places that could be setup like the NRA Whittington Center at Raton, NM that shoots into a box canyon.
View Quote

I know I said "4 hours from Austin", but if we could get into a deal where we could safely shoot out to 1600 meters or more, I would be happy to drive a few more hours.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#16]
You gonna let a Yankee in?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You gonna let a Yankee in?
View Quote

Why, sho 'nuff, [b]1GUNRUNNER[/b]!

Strange though, I [u]never[/u] considered [u]you[/u] a [b]Yankee[/b]!

Should we consider you a Yankee? [:D]

Eric The(IThinkNot,HowAboutHonoraryTexan?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
How many acres are we talking about here? And what price range are we looking for? Just in case I come across an Ad in the paper or something.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#22]
There was quite a chunk of land near Rice texas a while back. It was near a lake, and they gave preference to texas vets. It would have cost me 100 bucks a month for about 14 acres. I don't know if that would work for a bunch of us to see what plots are left out there. Or does it need to be further west?
Which reminds me of a funny story out in the hill country. My girlfriend and another couple decide to stay out there somewhere and stop in a little store where they have a display case of knives with scrimshaw (sp) engraving. We are all wandering around the story when the other woman pipes up for us to all come over here and take a look at this. It was a KKK knife, and how funny it would be as a gag gift for her dad. The store owner wasn't laughing.
We left town quickly, and explained to her how it wasn't a gag gift.
As a side note on how I am not to sure about the hill country.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Why not just go a little farther south, invade part of Mexico and ask the U.S.A. for foreign aid?.....[:\] fullclip
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Cool idea for sure.

In order to avoid a huge property tax liability, wouldn't it have to be a "ranch" of some sort.  A coworker of mine owns a lot of land near Centerville, and he "ranches" trees... [;)] (he has a certain percentage of his land wooded)
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#26]
200 AC.- Excellent white tail area. Good access. Great land & habitat. $79,500. Owner Financing. 1-877-542-6642.

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
You will also need to see who and what will be your neighbors.  If there will be any type of town or city nearby and if any of them will have serious proplems with a gun range near them.    I am in if the price is within my means.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
200 AC.- Excellent white tail area. Good access. Great land & habitat. $79,500. Owner Financing. 1-877-542-6642.

View Quote
$397.50 per acre looks pretty good.  But I don't think 200 acres would be enough.  Where is it located?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't know.. just came across the ad, just thought I'd post it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#30]
The cheapest land is west texas...everything around central texas is big money because of I35 business. Waco to san antonio is out of the question and anything close to fort hood is too.  By the way Mr. Weber who owns Weber guns in Temple , Texas will have his shooting range and club open by spring. It is just north of Troy/Temple and is right off I 35.  There is competition everywhere, especially Thunder Ranch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I looked online for about an hour and the best deal I found was in Bosque County. $650 and acre for 400 acres, which is about $260,000, is the best deal I've found so far and I think that is considerably more than we want to spend. I'm thinking we are going to want something really secluded. The advantages of being [b][i]far[/i][/b] away from anyone would be lower prices and less chance of neighbors complaining about noise. I've been looking in the area mainly between DFW and Austin. But, I'm thinking we will have to look a little farther west to start finding better land prices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I just searched google. Here are the results. I don't remember which site it was though.
[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=acreage+texas&btnG=Google+Search[/url]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#34]
SOUTH BREWSTER COUNTY
3700+Elevation-660 Acres, Good Access

[img]http://www.westtxrealty.com/images1/660south.jpg[/img]

What more could you ask for? Look at this. Views speak for themselves. Lots of wildlife, many types of desert plants and caves? If you have any explorer in you, this is it. Lots of caves believed to have been formed by gas during the Solotario Volcano. Like being on top of the world, just bring plenty of supplys and stay awhile. Has a very nice Metal shelter, suitable for Campers/tents or whatever. This property will not last long!
$250.00 per acre-Must be cash.

Note: Finance/Mortgage Companys do not usually finance raw land. Our local bank here will do a land only finance with good credit and a good down payment. A survey will be necessary to satisfy the lender.(However we know where most of the corners are and have them marked. A survey will talke 2-3 months most likely and is a cost to the buyer. Federal Land Bank will loan on raw land, but the wheels of progress are slow there. Estimate a survey to be $2000.00. Could be less or more.
For slide show presentation

AC1202

[url=http://www.westtxrealty.com/acreage.html]Found at this site.[/url]

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:48:45 AM EDT
[#35]
[url=http://www.mccollom.com/2545.htm]This is perfect![/url] [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#36]
[url=http://www.sre-inc.com/acresA.htm]640 acres for $150 an acre in West Texas.[/url]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I would be interested.......

If we form a S-corp to purchase the property as a group, can I transfer C3 weapons to it?!???
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Eric,

Can you give us a quick INC. lesson or direct us to a site with easyspeak?

It might be helpful for everyone to have a better idea what you are talking about and the hurrdles involved.  

You and I have talked about this before, but I think this might be a good place to ask you to do it again for the purpose of this thread.

Thanks,

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
SOUTH BREWSTER COUNTY
3700+Elevation-660 Acres, Good Access

[url]http://www.westtxrealty.com/images1/660south.jpg[/url]

What more could you ask for? Look at this. Views speak for themselves. Lots of wildlife, many types of desert plants and caves? If you have any explorer in you, this is it. Lots of caves believed to have been formed by gas during the Solotario Volcano. Like being on top of the world, just bring plenty of supplys and stay awhile. Has a very nice Metal shelter, suitable for Campers/tents or whatever. This property will not last long!
$250.00 per acre-Must be cash.

Note: Finance/Mortgage Companys do not usually finance raw land. Our local bank here will do a land only finance with good credit and a good down payment. A survey will be necessary to satisfy the lender.(However we know where most of the corners are and have them marked. A survey will talke 2-3 months most likely and is a cost to the buyer. Federal Land Bank will loan on raw land, but the wheels of progress are slow there. Estimate a survey to be $2000.00. Could be less or more.
For slide show presentation

AC1202

[url=http://www.westtxrealty.com/acreage.html]Found at this site.[/url]

View Quote

Ummm... I'll be in Alpine for a hunting trip the weekend of September 21-22.  My hunting friend manages hunting on 5 large ranches in the area and he's married to a realtor.  If folks want I'll recce the area and take some pics.

Edited to note my friend is married to the owner of Alpine's Century 21 office.  Miz Arock went to school with my hunting buddy.  They were born and raised in Fort Stockton so they know the Trans Pecos pretty well.

Alpine is way out there.  500+ miles from DFW.

Let me know.

Arock
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[url=http://www.mccollom.com/2545.htm]This is perfect![/url] [rolleyes]
View Quote

ONLY if we get ZED to run the place.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
[url=http://www.sre-inc.com/acresA.htm]640 acres for $150 an acre in West Texas.[/url]
View Quote

OMG it's just upstream from Langtry...  We really could be the Law West of the Pecos!

ETH of course gets the part of Judge Roy Bean.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top