Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2002 8:14:18 PM EDT
I was just wondering the laws of ownership of "Evil Black Rifles" in other countries.How easy is it to own semi-auto "assualt weapons" in your country?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#1]
We do not have anything like the 2nd Amendment here.

Basically, for every firearm you need a reason to own it. I have no trouble with providing enough reason to buy a new weapon. The system is what it is and it works well.

You can buy large caliber pistols, "evil rifles" and so on for 3 gun match or Practical/ISPC use. If you really shoot these events, there should be no problems getting a permit for the weapons.

Ownership of select fire weapons is allowed, you have to apply for a collector status. It is a one time deal, if you are accepted, you can start collecting the types of weapons you have stated in the applications. Ranging from WW1 pistols to modern select fire military weapons.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
tuuka,

what are the possibilities of employment in your country? are the womenz any better?
oops..here comes my wife..

later,

redray
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Up here in Canada, evil black rifles (AR-15, AR-10) are legal to own, with all US "post-ban" features. Semi-autos are limited to 5-round mags. The Canadian anti-gun folks want all semi-autos banned, because "they serve no useful purpose" - basically they claim they are no good for hunting, target shooting, etc. The antis also claim that "military-style" rifles are "too powerful" - despite the fact that the it's mostly the cartridge that determines bullet energy, velocity, etc. This is pretty much the same baseless crap you guys have to cope with in the US.

Right now, the AR-15 (and most variants) are "restricted" firearms, which means they can only be used at an approved range, and you need a special permit to transport them. Practically speaking, you can only acquire them if you are a member of a shooting club. There are special storage requirements as well.

All restricted firearms (including handguns) are registered in Canada (except the illegal ones used in crimes, which are exempt from this requirement ;o). Soon, ALL firearms in Canada will need to be registered. Confiscation has already happened in some instances, but legal challenges seem to have interfered with this process for the near-term (the government assumed they did not need to compensate gun owners for any property that was seized - this turns out to be an issue). Approximatley 60% of all handguns, and a percentage of evil rifles (FN/FAL, M14, AK-47, etc.) are now prohibited in Canada, and subject to potential confiscation when their owners die, or when the rules change again.

My feeling is that evil black rifles will eventually be moved into the "prohibited" category.

As a side note, the US Government has recently tightened export restrictions on AR-type rifles, as well as essetially banning export of 50-cal rifles for other than government use. It now takes longer to import an AR-series rifle into Canada, as the dealer/importer has to identify the end user before it can be exported from the US. You can still get what you want, but it takes longer, and dealers won't be able to carry new US-made ARs in stock. Forget about US-made 50-cals - you can't get new ones anymore.

We do have a vocal sport-shooting population here, but political-correctness continues to run amok. The complex, self-contradictory, and massively expensive gun-control system we have here is now beginning to collapse under its own weight - what will happen over the next year or two is anyone's guess.

Compliance with the new system, particularly the registration requirements, is low so far, although the government has continuously lowered their estimates of the number of guns and gun owners, so they can show a higher rate of compliance.

Registration is seen as the first step in the confiscation process, and so far, history has shown this to be true.

My opinion is that the best way to fight the gun-control steamroller is to turn more voters into shooters. I try to bring never-shot-anything-before guests to the range so they can see what it's all REALLY about.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn,you Canadians really have something to complain about. Unfortunately here in the USA we seem to be on the same track.
[pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Are certain rifles made by H&K restricted as well in Canada a friend of mine told me no, but he could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Beleive me, Myself and I hope many others will take up arms before we reach what Plinker described.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are certain rifles made by H&K restricted as well in Canada a friend of mine told me no, but he could be wrong.
View Quote

The whole HK90 series is prohibited and grandfathered. SL8's and G36's are hunting rifles by law though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top