Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2003 11:21:20 AM EDT
[b]AP Bulletin
By Associated Press

January 11, 2003, 10:05 AM EST

CHICAGO -- Gov. George Ryan will issue a blanket commutation to all Illinois' death row inmates, a spokesman for the governor says.

Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press [/b]

WILL SOMEONE THAT LIVES IN IL PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON UP THERE?
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#1]
What's going on up here is that I just fired off an email to the Illinois republican party, asking them to remove me from their contributors list.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
After finding new evidence that 13 convicts slated for execution were actually innocent, how can you in good conscience keep executing people?  Ryan didn't let them out of prison, he just rescinded their death sentences.

I personally think it's a good call. The only 2 reasons I dont favor capital punishment are:

1. Endless appeals and waste of court resources

2. What if you execute someone who was innocent?

Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't believe that every convicted killer that carjacked, raped, tortured and murdered an innocent man woman or CHILD, will be getting the opportunuty to breath MY AIR for the rest of their "natural life"

I'M PISSED!  Who the hell did you guys elect up there anyway???
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#4]
So you think the likely possibility of innocent men being executed is a reasonable price to be able to execute capital criminals who are guilty?  That doesn't seem right to me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After finding new evidence that 13 convicts slated for execution were actually innocent, how can you in good conscience keep executing people?  Ryan didn't let them out of prison, he just rescinded their death sentences.

I personally think it's a good call. The only 2 reasons I dont favor capital punishment are:

1. Endless appeals and waste of court resources

2. What if you execute someone who was innocent?
View Quote

Arrrrgggghhh! #&$(*-=0()*&#(*#@$(&#@!@$@^#%@$#%
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#6]
They were tried by a jury of their peers and convicted, sentenced to death IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW.If they can prove their innocence on appeal, release them forthwith. If they cannot, FRY EM!

And if Ryan thinks the justice system is that screwed up in this state, well HE has been running this state!

He should have just left in disgrace. This is just a pandering sop the the minorities in order to polish his corrupt legacy ala Clinton.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]
anyone that's followed this story already knows 'why' this was the only logical outcome.

the cops lied.

the prosecutors lied.

innocent humans were scheduled to be murdered (and some were!).

after discovering the scale of the 'problem', there could be no other outcome.

all you folks that are in favor of executing innocent people with a corrupt (in)justice system...feel free to lie down on the gurney.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They were tried by a jury of their peers and convicted, sentenced to death IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW.If they can prove their innocence on appeal, release them forthwith. If they cannot, FRY EM!

And if Ryan thinks the justice system is that screwed up in this state, well HE has been running this state!

He should have just left in disgrace. This is just a pandering sop the the minorities in order to polish his corrupt legacy ala Clinton.
View Quote

You got that right...This DOOFUS Govenor had the power to implement consistant imposition of the death penalty accross the state AND DID NOT DO IT!

156 new state dependents!
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#9]
No, I just think he doesn't want to be responsible for frying innocent men, and make the state a murderer.

Let me say that I think the state should have the power to kill people who are extremely dangerous to society at large.  I dont think it's a deterrent, but execution is a very apt punishment for certain crimes.

View Quote

Just because you cant prove your innocence in a court of law, doesn't necessarily make you innocent and the reverse is true as well.  A lot of these guys were sentenced before reliable DNA testing technology was around that would have acquitted them.  Some were mentally feeble or had bad attorneys.  They were found guilty, but nonetheless were innocent!

Maybe it's easy for you to sit back and say you gotta break a few eggs to get the omlette of justice, but I'm sure it's harder for a governor whose hands would be soaked with the blood of innocent people he ordered executed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Ryan may end up in jail himself. Most of his cronies have been to court in the last year or so; some are going to prison and some are rolling over on him. He is a lying, cheating, stealing POS.

Anyone who followed this story in the liberal media has had their heads stuffed full of crap.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
dna tests do not lie.

[url]http://www.illinoisdeathpenalty.com/williams.html[/url]

[url]http://www.illinoisdeathpenalty.com/burrows.html[/url]

[url]http://www.illinoisdeathpenalty.com/cobb.html[/url]

[url]http://www.illinoisdeathpenalty.com/porter.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]If they can prove their innocence on appeal, release them forthwith. If they cannot, FRY EM![/b]

Appeals don't allow the introduction of new fact. Cases are appealed on the original case's use and application of the law. So if the prosecutors lied and the police lied and the trial was clean then you're screwed. Unless some college kid researches your case and makes his findings public prompting the governor to give you a pardon.

Close to 10% of the people on death row in IL were found to be innocent given new evidence, DNA I believe. 10% is an unacceptable error rate when it comes to someone's life.

I can't believe with the anti-police anti-gov't attitude here there isn't more support for Gov. Ryan's action. After all, this is the most dramatic case of gov't abuse an infringement of freedoms I can think of in recent memory.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
One of those that have had their death sentence changed to life in prison without parole today was a murder that killed a mother and her unborn child by cutting the baby out of her.  There should be a death penalty for crimes such as this and it should be swiftly imposed.

On the federal level, treason should call for the death penalty.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
It is disappointing that many of the guilty will not be punished in the manner that they deserve. However, the greater tragedy would be the death of innocent men who were convicted because the police and lawyers lied because they wanted a conviction in a capital case to look good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#15]
It's better that 100 guilty people rot in jail for the rest of their lives rather than execute one innocent person.

I am all for quick death of a murderous scum who was caught: red handed, on tape, DNA, confessed (investigation proved) or large numbers of eyewittnesses. Hang them in public in front of their families and friends I say.

Illinoise is as fucked up as a football bat. Just wait till someone can prove that an innocent person was executed, that will be one large sum lawsuit!

If the justice system in Illinoise wasen't so fucked up this would have never happened.

Link Posted: 1/11/2003 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll submit again my idea for making the death penalty as fair as possible:

Increase the standard of proof for the application of the death penalty. I'm not sure if that's the correct legal term, but I believe that normally, the suspect is convicted if the state can prove that they are guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt". My idea is that in order to apply the death penalty, the state must prove that the accused is guilty "beyond any possible doubt".

It would also help to aggressively convict and imprison cops and prosecutors who knowingly lied in order to convict an innocent man.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#17]
IMHO,He lost the Gov. race,And this is his way of saying "Thankyou IL."
Gov.Ryan is a P.O.S.,and stabbed the victim's familys in the back.
I for one support capital punishment,
It should be 30 min. in a dark cell- then Off to meet your maker,after being found guilty.It would sure take the burden off of everyone.
[Rant mode: Off]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess antiUSSA (Mr. BIA) is breathing a great sigh of relief tonight ! [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top