Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 2:30:23 PM EDT
A comprehensive article on Marine issue MOLLE gear being a disaster. Anyone have any insight?

[url]http://geocities.com/equipmentshop/getitright.htm[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/WhiskeyBravo%2FMOLLE%2Ejpg[/img]

p.s., you might want to turn your volume down due to some goofy music he plays in the background.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is over 75 degrees , you are gonna roast in it .
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if they have improved the system since, but when they first came out with the packs the adjustable mounting plate (plastic) for the shoulder straps broke very easily.  The old 782 gear is still tried and true in my mind.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I know absolutely nothing about rucksacks & LBVs, but this paragraph makes me take everything else on the page with a grain of salt:

This gear is MARINE-DESIGNED, its their failure not someone else's. In the future, marines should not be allowed to design web gear for themselves much less anyone else. The next disaster will be marines shot dead by "friendly" fire wearing their new pattern camouflage uniforms that are totally unlike what other U.S. forces wear---just in order so they can look "different" and feel "superior" now that the U.S. Army looks better than them wearing black berets.
View Quote

That's a pretty hefty dose of bias.  Really detracts from his credibility.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It does raise a credibility issue, but alternately the authors of the article (Brinkley/Lubold) reference a Marine Maj. "Timothy Maxwell".
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything has got to be better than the A.L.I.C.E. gear. A tangled, uncomfortable mess. I'd like to see the U.S. adopt either the Israeli load bearing vest, or the English load bearing system.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If the Marines, Army ect wanted the best they should have gotten the original.
[url]http://www.paracletearmor.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
in the military theres a pretty strong resistance to change. a lot of guys hate whatever is issued to them. hence stories about the M16 being crap, the M9 being crap etc etc. you could give them a Govt credit card and a blackhawk catalog and choice of weapons and they'd still bitch. this guy is no different. its bad enough he's got a seething case of "Marine Envy" but now he's trashing our gear. i tell you what my arms dont go numb anymore like they did humping an Alice pack, i can carry more gear more comfortably. i do cafor the old LBV but the MOLLE is goodstuff, that guy is just an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a long story about this guy. He couldn't make it as an officer in the Marines so he joined the Army. He is just a Marine hater.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
[[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/WhiskeyBravo%2FMOLLE%2Ejpg[/img]

Someone needs to turn this dude into a CS model.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]
that pic looks like it came out of the blackhawk catalogue.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I think there's a definite bias against the Marine Corps itself. It seems to me that he's using the Molle gear as an excuse to indirectly bash the USMC.

As for the molle gear itself, its leaps and bounds above the Alice and Vector (CFP-90) packs. The majority of the problems are a direct result of the user being unable to properly set up the molle pack. The pack is highly customizable and can be tailored to small and large framed individuals alike. It's just a matter of adjusting it correctly. In my molle I not only hump the standard load-out each marine carries, I also carry a 30+ lbs medic bag as well as additional IV fluids in the ruck itself. I'm carrying almost half my body weight in gear and find the molle, once adjusted properly, to be a very good pack. I've humped 10+ miles at a clip with all my eqpt without a single problem. If I did that with the Alice or Vector my back would be shot.....I won't attest to its durability as of yet since I've only been using it for a year. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Does it function well as is? Yes…..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top