Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 5:38:11 AM EDT
I have had knives since I was 5yrs old, but I will be the 1st to admit that I lack greatly in the area of sharpening them. I used to use a tri stone when I worked in a taxidermy shop, but I no longer have that option. I used to use crock sticks, but don't have them anymore do to breakage. I have never been very good at doing small blades on a stone, because I seem to keep my angel changing which seems to round the edge.

When I buy a new knife it is usually razor sharp, until I use it to semi sharp, or dull, & into the black hole dresser drawer, & then I switch to a newer one.I really have a hard time with chisel tipped, or skining style blades because of the radical turn around the tips. I have been wanting to learn to put a real edge on a knife for a long time, but as I don't have the money to buy 1/2 dozen systems, in an attempt to find something that will work for me.
[red]I would like you who aren't sharpening challenged to give me some of your wise & sage advice on what system you think will work for me, & what you do to sharpen your trusted blades edge to.[/red]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to be happy with my Lansky set up..

then someone here turned me onto the Jantz Supply sharpening kit.. it's a couple of wheels you put on an 8" grinder.. sharpes knives I ever shapened were with this setup..

it takes some practice, but, freakin' sharp!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]
"I would like you who aren't sharpening challenged to give me some of your wise & sage advice on what system you think will work for me, & what you do to sharpen you trusted blades edge to."

what he said.

i couldn't sharpen a damn knife to save my azz!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the same problem.  Even if I relatively keep the same angle along one side, I mess up the other.  I have been considering one of the kits with the blade clamp so you pick the angle and it stays constant.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#4]
i use a steel to keep the edge fresh and a lansky kit when it gets really dull
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you done an internet search on knife sharpening????
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to be sharp, now I'm kind of an old fart.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Rapala ceramic; easy to find at WalMart, etc.  20 strokes will restore a dull edge.  There is a second model with a course stone for super dull blades, and a third model with a handle.

You can get a blade sharper by other methods (but not much sharper), but it can't be done any easier.

You can stop in the middle of field dressing a deer and restore the edge with just 5 or 6 licks.  These sharpeners are cheap enough to scatter around so you can always find one (at work, in the truck, the sock drawer and so on).

Here's what it looks like -
[url]http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=977219[/url]
and
[url]http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=977218&cp=702344&page=2&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at the Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker.  It's about the easiest and fastest system I've ever used.  I can sharpen a semi-sharp knife with it in about 3 minutes.  If the knife gets REALLY dull, I use a diamond hone to get it roughly back into shape, then finish with the Spyderco.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

then someone here turned me onto the Jantz Supply sharpening kit..  
View Quote

Is this the one you are using?

[url]http://216.218.203.171/cartease/item-detail.cfm?ID=JS801[/url]

[img]http://216.218.203.171/cartease/images//js801.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm tempted to say something smart ass to you Liberty 86, but that wouldn't be classy or kind so I will refrain.
Yes I did a search a while back but ended up even more confused about which system to go with as it seams that there are quite a few options, & it made me feel like a deer in the headlights. That's why I asked for the folks here in the know what they use, & recommend, so I don't end up with a system that might not be right for what I need.
Thank you for you thoughtless, & useless reply.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]
What about serrated blades?

My daily carry spyderco is nearly too dull to whittle my toenails.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#12]
[url]www.dmtsharp.com/[/url]
Look for the aligner series.

Or [url]http://business.gorge.net/edgepro/[/url]
The Edgepro is expensive, but a lot of experts feel it's the best. If you finish with the tape, your knife will be "hair-popping" sharp.
I've been wanting one for a while, but never seem to have the money when I get the itch.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
The diamond impregnated "stones" are the easiest and quickest around. Bass Pro Shops sell them for less than a pocket knife would cost. If you are having trouble with holding an angle you just need to concentrate a little more. CHRIST, there are people who can't even read that can sharpen a knife! You saying that you can't sharpen a knife tells me that you aint trying hard enough. Look at it like a challenge to your masculinity. It aint like your doing some black magic, it's just knife sharpening. Fuckin savages used to rub their blades on a rock dude! You can do it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I do it the old fashioned way. My great grandpa had a little set of a coarse stone, a fine stone, and some honing oil. I've been using this, and I like it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I too was angle challenged.  I found the solution for about $20 at Lowes.

[url]http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=116-648[/url]

It is kind of a jig that you attach to your blade, and holds the angle constant.  It works great.  Also has a stone to sharpen serated blades, though I haven't used it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I use a Lanski, it not only sharpens, but can also be set to give the knife the perfect angle for the edge.
Finish up with a ceramic stick, and you will have a smooth, extremely sharp edge.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#18]
As a knife maker this is a question that is often asked by my customers.  As sneaker noted, the Spyderco tri-angle is one of the very best for most users.  It is very easy to use and is also extremely good for serrated knives.  Often, when a knife gets too dull, it must have the edge bevels ground or stoned to the proper angle, which requires removing a lot of material.  A diamond system , grinder or plain old whetstone are often needed then.  DMT and Lansky are both excellent.  For the very best in sharpening, the Edge-Pro is tops.  However, they run about $200.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#19]
All you need to do is practice,All I use is a Arkansas med grit stone, and some honing oil,works very well I've got a Case trapper in my pocket that I can shave with, it's that sharp,I do it by hand, no fancy guides...Takes a little time, but you can teach yourself to do it...get yourself a good stone,some oil, and use a cheapo blade,(something that if you fuck it up it's no great loss) to practice with, just be patient and you'll get on to it, read the directions that come with the stone, and practice...
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve used both Arkansas hardstones and the Landsky setup, which certainly work well.

However, I’ve gotten lazy in my old age and now I simply use a set of ceramic sticks set in a “V” in a wood block, which I got – I think – from Wal-Mart.

I doubt it gives quite as smooth an edge as a more involved method, but it takes maybe 15 seconds to resharpen a blade.  Plus I just leave it out on the kitchen counter.

It’s also real simple to use – simply hold the blade perfectly vertical as you cut down, and across, on the rods - alternating from left to right.

Admittedly, every once in a while the rods need to be cleaned.  Also, I’m not sure I’d use it on a real expensive knife since the ceramic seems to be pretty aggressive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]
The problem with using Arkansas stones on modern, quality knives is that today's steel is just too hard.
If you want to go with stones, look into Japanese Waterstones for basic sharpening, then finishing (polishing) with a Nagura stone.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

then someone here turned me onto the Jantz Supply sharpening kit..  
View Quote

Is this the one you are using?

[url]http://216.218.203.171/cartease/item-detail.cfm?ID=JS801[/url]

[url]http://216.218.203.171/cartease/images//js801.jpg[/url]
View Quote

something like that, yes.....

I saved the money on the grinder/motor.. got one on sale at Harbor Freight, and just got the sharpening KIT...

[url]http://216.218.203.171/cartease/item-detail.cfm?ID=WKS800[/url]
[img]http://216.218.203.171/cartease/images//wks800.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#24]
My barber keeps the edge on his straight razors with petrified wood. I couldn't keep a piece of broken glass sharp.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I use diamond boards.
I had a guy sharpen up some of my blades with a bench grinder system and man they were sharp.
A Millwright buddy of mine uses the edge of his drivers window on his truck when he's killing time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#27]
You had to ask.

I use the Smith yellow tool you can get at Walmart or Home Depot for $3.00 or so.

Then hit leather or hard stone.

They will shave arm hair after that.

Unless the knife is a Buck.

Old Timers, Schrades take an edge.

My first Knife (6yrs. old) was a Barlow.

I was one happy toehead.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Look at the Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker.  It's about the easiest and fastest system I've ever used.  I can sharpen a semi-sharp knife with it in about 3 minutes.  If the knife gets REALLY dull, I use a diamond hone to get it roughly back into shape, then finish with the Spyderco.
View Quote

Agree.  Hands down.  The 870 of sharpening.   The spyderco triangle is a classic.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Well it looks like the Spyderco system is what I'm going to go with, based on price & availably. It's Monday, & my weekend is now starting, so I will see if I can locate one in my town.
I used my old steel last night to get 2 of my best switch blades back to shaving sharp.
I would like to be able to get my knives as sharp as a cold steel factory edge though. I don't know if any of you have ever tested their factory edges, but dang! they could split a hair.
Thanks for all the constructive good help to you all!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to give you a link to follow.  It connects to Lee Valley Tools and the page on their website that advertises a kit for making a great crock stick type sharpening system.

The kit comes with 2 ceramic sticks about 8 inches long, and a delrin stick of the same length.  They are wrapped in a small box with instructions for making the base.  A drill press is nice to have for that operation, but you can use guide blocks and a standard drill.

I've made a couple of them and love them for regular knife and kitchen knife sharpening.  THey won't yield an uber-razor edge, but they'll get a knife sharp enough for daily use.

The directions advise making two sets of holes, one set for a wider angle (chopping and hard-use knives) and a narrower angle (for slicing knives, fillet knives, etc.)

[url]http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=46363&category=1,43072,43079&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=[/url]

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well it looks like the Spyderco system is what I'm going to go with, based on price & availably. It's Monday, & my weekend is now starting, so I will see if I can locate one in my town.
I used my old steel last night to get 2 of my best switch blades back to shaving sharp.
I would like to be able to get my knives as sharp as a cold steel factory edge though. I don't know if any of you have ever tested their factory edges, but dang! they could split a hair.
View Quote

Well I went hunting for a system today, & I went to 5 places. I only found 1 spyderco set, & I could tell it was used, & probably a return. The sticks had a lot of silver on them, & the pkg was worn. It had a $29 price tag, but at one of the other store I went to said I could get me one in for $67.00. What would you do in this case? buy a new 1 for more than double the cost of a slightly used one?
I also looked at a bunch of Cold Steel knives at 1 store, I wish I could get an edge like their factory edge. I think it could shave hair off of hair!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I went hunting for a system today, & I went to 5 places. I only found 1 spyderco set, & I could tell it was used, & probably a return. The sticks had a lot of silver on them, & the pkg was worn. It had a $29 price tag, but at one of the other store I went to said I could get me one in for $67.00. What would you do in this case? buy a new 1 for more than double the cost of a slightly used one?
I also looked at a bunch of Cold Steel knives at 1 store, I wish I could get an edge like their factory edge. I think it could shave hair off of hair!
View Quote

The Spyderco Sharpmaker  204 shouldn't cost that much. If they want $67 for it, walk away.

[url]http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=spyderco+sharpmaker[/url]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I have never had a probelem getting just about any knife sharp enough to shave hair.  

I have a several stones but my favorite is a Norton double sided stone my dad gave me when I was in high school.  He is a retired machinist and used these stones to hone his tool bits.  Anyway I finish up a dull knife on the fine side after establishing a good base with the corse sidee.  Then I use an old leather belt to strop the blade.  I also have a diamond stone that really yakes off the metal.  I usually use it on very worn edges to shape the edge angle.  

One thing to remember.  Blade-edge angle is not a fixed number.  Didfferent chores require different knives as well as a different edge angle.  A very fine cutting edge requires a shallow angle but it will turn over under heavy cutting.  A steep angle is better for heavy use but tough to gain a razor edge unless yu have had some experience.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I've always had good luck with a stone and a leather strope and have used the Lanskys too. Check this out, might help some.[url]http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000041 [/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#35]
By far, the easiest method is the two metal disk setup, where the blade is pulled through a dozen times or so.  Stones are nice but take more time than I want to spend.

Good luck with serrated blades [LOL]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Go here: [url]http://www.1sks.com/store/spyderco-sharpmaker.html[/url]

These guys are great to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#37]
The local gun show had a sharpening kit in a small wooden box.  One end held two sets of ceramic sticks that fit in pre-drilled holes in the top to give a two stage sharpening.  On one set you had to hold the knife straight and alternate pulling it across one side then the other, the second set crossed at a certain angle and you just pulled it straigt through doing both sides at the same time.  Worked well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#38]
The methods I use depend alot on the quality and condition of the knife. Sometimes I start with a diamond sharpener to work the edge to the angle that I like, then I move to a ceramic stone to polish it. One of the best methods is the polishing wheels indicated in the earlier posts. Two things I feel are important.

1. Never use oil on a whetstone, it holds the grindings in the pores of the stone and keeps the stone from cutting. I recommend water, in fact, soap & water on the stone to wash away the grindings as you sharpen.

2. Always sharpen by pushing the blade into the stone towards the cutting edge. Don't pull the blade backwards across the stone as that will produce a rolled edge.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Here's all the information you need to know about knife sharpening: [url]http://www.bladeforums.com/features/faqsharp.shtml[/url]

I picked up my Spyderco Tri Angle at [url]www.bestknives.com[/url].  They were just about the cheapest I found & have good prices on knives also.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, today I bought a Lansky system from Academy, along with a little mini Lansky crock stick set up. I try it, & possibly still get the Spyderco tri sticks.
Thanks again everyone. I put a lot of the links into my favorites file. I looked at the Kershaw flip open knifes at Academy also, but found one on the last link that is finished like a metallic peacock color, I really like also. I will do some serious shopping before I replace the Switches in my drawer!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#41]
What sniper and TJ said,three set stone the hardest first set you will never use but once,the other two grit (fine and smooth) will be your friends forever!

After fine honing the edge with oil or water,oil is best use the leather belt you are wearing or the issue leather holster to roll the edges even finer!

I have a USMC CAMILLUS (the leather holster it came with has long gone) but I can cut round bale nylon all week long and still run it down your arm and leave hair falling like snowflakes!

Most knifes are ruinned by over sharpening ,would never trust a machine to do what my hand and eye can do better!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I am going to preach heresy on knife sharpening.  I use a Chef's Choice Edge Select 120 to sharpen all of my knives.  It takes about 30 minutes to do every knife I own and I need to sharpen them maybe twice a year.  Check it out:

[url]http://www.edgecraft.com/page2a.html[/url]

BTW: I have tried many manual techniques and this produces more consistent and longer lasting edges than any other system I have used.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top