Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 11:32:47 AM EDT
This came out today from the Virginia Citizen's Defense League.  If you haven't joined, I encourage you to do so.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Restaurant Ban Repeal has made it out of subcommittee.  It is now heading to full committee and, if it makes it, to the Floor of the House.  Now is the time to contact the members of the committee and ask them to support the repeal.

The repeal is going to allow us to carry in restaurants, clubs, and special events that serve alcohol, AS LONG YOU ARE NOT CONSUMING ALCOHOL.  Currently, you can consume in a public place as long as you are not in a restaurant.  You will no longer be able to do that **unless** you carry openly.  However, we believe that most of you don't consume anyhow when carrying a gun (I know I don't), so this compromise should give us far more than we give up in practice.

All of the gun bills are going to be rolled into a single "omnibus" bill in committee and sent to the Floor.  As other important bills
are passed out of subcommittee, we will advise you so you can contact your representatives on those bills, too.

CONTACT THE DELEGATES NOW!!

Here is the e-mail address which will reach all of the key Delegates on the Militia, Police, and Public Safety Committee:

[email][email protected][/email]

Just send one message and it will be resent to all of the Delegates individually for you.

Either cut-and-paste what is below, or even better, customize your e-mail a little bit.  BE SURE AND INCLUDE YOUR NAME, ADDRESS, CITY, STATE, AND ZIP.

------------
[blue]
Dear Delegate,

Please support Delegate Lee Ware's bill to Repeal the Restaurant ban (HB 952), which will be coming up in the Militia, Police, and Public Safety committee shortly.  This important legislation restores the ability of concealed handgun permit holders to carry concealed into restaurants and clubs that serve alcohol, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol.  Permit holders have proven themselves to be outstanding citizens of this Commonwealth, please let us take our families to dinner, without leaving our safety in the
car.

Sincerely,
[/blue]

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).  VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the civil rights of all Virginians.  The membership considers the right to keep and bear arms an essential human right.

VCDL web page:  [url]http://www.vcdl.org[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Done!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

Hey, can someone on the evening shift try to BTT this later?

Thanks,
Chimborazo
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I've sent tons of letters over this issue to the Sens. Lets see if we can get this done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT for this one....sent!

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Boing...
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]
YES!  

Thank you for posting this Chimborazo.  I was going to do the same.

I will be at the General Assembly with others from VCDL if any of you can make it.  The audience participation does add a lot of value, and our detractors will be there.  These bills will be heard this Spring from what I understand.  It would be great if some of you could make it.  

Also, VCDL is organizing a return of Massad Ayoob's LFI Stressfire training course to Virginia.  I will post more info as I get it - this is DEFINITELY worth taking.  For those of you in Virginia, you get the course in your own backyard which is a heck of a deal.  Let me know if interested - we're getting a headcount now.  We are considering offering LFI-2 in addition to LFI-1 if enough are interested.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
For those of you in Virginia, please consider joining VCDL as Chimborazo suggested.  You can find out more information about VCDL at [url]http://www.vcdl.org/[/url].  You can join at [url]http://www.vcdl.org/join.html[/url].  You can also see pictures of last year's LFI course in their downloads section.

Let me know if the joining fee is an issue - I don't mind paying the first year.  I would rather add members than just contribute money to an organization.  My daughter may become a life member of the NRA for her first birthday :).

Black Fox
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#10]
BlackFox,

I would be interested in taking the LFI course, but do you have any approximate dates and costs?

Thanks,
Chimborazo
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I were there for the M&P committees vote on the restaurant ban last year. I will try to do so again. I'll also try to spread the word for this at my local gun club.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, A true "common sense" gun law.

Want to carry?  Don't drink.

Want to Drink?  Don't carry.

I have no problems with that and will let my reps know.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, just putting BTT gets kinda boring.  So, here's a link that most have you have seen before but always a good revisit.

[url=http://www.mcrgo.org/photo_gallery_volk1.asp]Pro-Gun Posters by Oleg Volk[/url]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Since the unexplained BTT has been outlawed by none other than the great Goat himself, I shall give everyone the long-winded and pointlessly annoying BTT.

BTT.

And:

Ban all BTTing.

For the children.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Oops...I didn't know it had been outlawed.

Anyway, another link for everyone's enjoyment:

[url=http://www.drbukk.com/]Fake Teeth by Dr. Bukk[/url]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#16]
roger, wilco.  done. out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]
BlackFox,
I would be interested in one of those classes.  I don't know too much about them though.  Do you have any info. on them or can you send me a link.  I printed out the VCDL membership application and plan to join today.  Thanks all for the heads up!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Please help.  We need more e-mails to the legiscritters.  I think it's going to be heard next Friday.

And thanks to those who have already e-mailed!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks - all of you who responded.  I think we have a chance of pulling off some positive legislation in Virginia this year!  Wouldn't it be nice to get the Restaurant Ban repealed and reciprocity established for more states?  

The Massad Ayoob class (LFI-1) will probably be the first week of September.  I'm not sure, but I think it costs $700 for 4 days of class.  This is one of the most rigorous and insightful classes I've ever taken.  I highly recommend it, but am not affiliated in any way.

It's always great to see so many Virginians on the board.  I was planning to have a shoot this Spring, but don't know if I'll be able to pull it off this year.  Apparently the farm owner that hosted last Spring's shoot backed out.  Too bad - shooting up a car with the Ma Duece was fun :)

Black Fox
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Massad Ayoob class (LFI-1) will probably be the first week of September.  
View Quote

AH, I'm getting married that week.  Oh well...I'll take it eventually.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I just filled out my CCW application and did all the nice little government registration shit (I turned 21 on Saturday).  I should see my CCW around the middle of Febuary.  It's too bad I'm now considered a criminal by my state simply because I wanted the means to defend myself.

Edited to say:  BTT [:D]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I understand that the Virginia Hospitality Association is the prime lobby behind the opposition to the repeal. There are supposedly only 200 restuarants in it. When I get the list I will forward it. A contact threatening and implementing a boycott of their establishments might make them be more careful with thier lobbying efforts.

Latest I have heard from VCDL:

Quote (in part):
------------------------------
Subject: VA-ALERT: Legislative Update! 2/6/02

1.  VCDL has learned that Lee Ware is not getting support from some Republicans on his restaurant ban repeal and is being pressured to
drop his bill.  These Republicans like our votes, but turn their backs on us when we need them.  These eight or so anti-gun Republicans must not be allowed to get away with it!  WE NEED A SHOW OF SUPPORT AT THE COMMITTEE MEETING ON FRIDAY. There will be many gun bills becoming up in the committee and it will be good to show support for all of the good bills (like the reciprocity bill by Delegate Dick Black, or the change to one-gun-a-month by Albert Pollard) and non-support for the anti-gun bills.
------------------------------
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#24]
My letter to my State delecritters:

Please support HB 952., Delegate Lee Ware's bill because:

(1) It forces those with permits to leave their guns unattended in their vehicles,  subject to theft and later criminal use,
 (2) It forces those with the ability to protect themselves to be unprotected when going to and from high-risk areas such as parking
lots behind restaurants (in my estimation, this is likely to be the top benefit of the ban repeal),
 (3) It forces me to carry the only legal way possible at the moment, with my gun EXPOSED to all the patrons in the restaurant. A method much more likely to create consternation among patrons not familiar with firearms,  
 (4) The ban has no effect on the criminal since they will carry in restaurants anyway, leaving the restaurant patrons more at the
mercy of a potentially murderous felon
(remember Luby's Cafeteria?),
 (5) The premise of the 1995 restriction is that if you have guns and drink in the same room
it will somehow become like the Wild West. Those same types of unfounded scare tactics were used to try to block concealed carry itself.
Remember the predictions of mass shootings over fender bender accidents? We have concealed carry in at least 33 states, and I know of NOT A SINGLE incident of such a nature.
[Besides, if someone were to be unruly with a gun in a restaurant and others are carrying in the same restaurant, that creates a built-in mechanism for insuring the unruly person will suffer the consequences of his actions, not
the innocent people.]
Also, the list of restaurants belonging to the Virginia Hospitality Association, which has lobbied Delegates on this issue, is about to be circulated among tens of thousands of gun owners; and those restaurants will begin to suffer the economic consequences of their political actions against my right to self-defense.
As a patron of many Virginia restaurants, from Hooters to L'Auberge Chez Francois, I strongly urge you to vote for the repeal.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#25]
SELFDEFENSE,

Thanks for the help.  It would be great to put pressure on these restaraunts.

I LOVE L'Auberge Chez Francois, but haven't been there in a few years.  I heard they had a fire a while ago.  Is it back?  I'll have to make the drive up there if it is.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Another important bill for Virginians and out of staters: SB228 that would ease recognition requirements for CCW! This could mean additional reciprocity with states who have held off due to VA's rather strict standard of recognition. This bill has passed the state Senate, and it's bicameral companion will be voted on during February in the VA-HOD. Link here:
[url]http://www.nraila.org/LegislativeUpdate.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=219[/url]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Chimborazo:

Yes, they rebuilt and expanded. We just made reservations for my birthday. You have to make reservations exactly 1 month before the date you wish. They usually fill up in a couple of hours after the 12 noon reservation start.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#28]
These are the organizations lobbying against repeal http://www.vhta.org/ and  http://www.ramw.org/.

Here is the link where they brag about the repeal defeat last year:
http://www.ramw.org/Currents/02MAR01.pdf
(notice the cute juxtaposition of the last 2 items):

Legislative Victory in the Virginia General Assembly

The Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington in conjunctions [sic] with
the Virginia Hospitality & Travel Association achieved total victory this winter in the Virginia General Assembly. Here is a brief summary of those achievements:

Repeal of the mandate of opening Public Schools after Labor Day - DEFEATED
Dram shop liability for sales to underage persons - DEFEATED
Exemptions from post Labor Day opening school divisions with year-round
schools-DEFEATED
Living wage mandate for all state contracts - DEFEATED
Repeal ban on concealed weapons in restaurants - DEFEATED
Liability for failure to provide adequate sercurity at nightclubs/restaurants - DEFEATED
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Again, thank you SELFDEFENSE.

Here are the links from SELFDEFENSE's post:

[url=www.vhta.org]Virginia Hospitality & Travel Association[/url]

[url=www.ramw.org]Restaraunt Association of Metropolitan Washington[/url]

These organizations should be considered anti-CCW and anti-gun.  Let them know how you feel!  [url=http://www.ramw.org/Currents/02MAR01.pdf]Click here[/url] to see RAMW brag.

These are the same links as in SELFDEFENSE's post.

***Edited to add contact information:***

[url=http://www.ramw.org/contactus1.cfm]RAMW[/url]

VHTA's web page is under construction, but keep checking back!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is the membership list for restaurants to boycott and tell why you're boycotting:

http://www.ramw.org/dining1.cfm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top