Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 9:55:38 PM EDT
to change them like chaning regular non ABS brakes? I really need to replace them and I want to do it today,they give an ear screeching sound when im driving and stopping.
Is thert any special tool for changing ABS? I used to change my other SUV's brakes (Non ABS with just a socket set and a 6" C clamp.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're just changing the pads & turning the rotors, they're the same.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow thats sad. When i read your message I was wondering who ABS was and what their brakes looked like, and why you would have to change them. Till I read the part about them screeching when you were driving and stopping.[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are just changing the pads, change them as you would normally do.

The only interesting part is when you want to flush out the brake fluid. Some vehicles you have to do a two part flush. One flush at the ABS unit, master cylinder to ABS. Second at the brake pads, from ABS to pad. Check the repair manual for your vehicle for proper procedure. You might have to invest in a brake flush tool (vacum sucking thing) to do it properly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you are just changing the pads, change them as you would normally do.

The only interesting part is when you want to flush out the brake fluid. Some vehicles you have to do a two part flush. One flush at the ABS unit, master cylinder to ABS. Second at the brake pads, from ABS to pad. Check the repair manual for your vehicle for proper procedure. You might have to invest in a brake flush tool (vacum sucking thing) to do it properly.
View Quote

I just had this done recently. It is very costly. Did not want to do it myself. So brakes, rotors and flush cost me about $600. Now off to getting new tires. Which should be another $800.

I've been told that you can just disconnect the ABS and run old school ways on your brakes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Is thert any special tool for changing ABS?
View Quote

Some vehicles require a special tool to open the calipers up so you can get it bacxk on the rotor with the new pads installed.  If you encounter any serious resistance with the C-clamp, you may want to check before you damage something.

So brakes, rotors and flush cost me about $600.
View Quote

I'm in the wrong business.  Do you drive a Mercedes, BMW or some exotic import?  I did my Tahoe a while back.  Cost me just over a hundred in parts and a couple hours time.  

Flushing the fluid isn't a very difficult task.  Most parts stores have inexpensive pumps taht will do the trick.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now off to getting new tires. Which should be another $800.
View Quote
LT, go to [url]www.tirerack.com[/url] and check out their tire prices.  What are they going on and what size do you require?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just had this done recently. It is very costly. Did not want to do it myself. So brakes, rotors and flush cost me about $600. Now off to getting new tires. Which should be another $800.

I've been told that you can just disconnect the ABS and run old school ways on your brakes.
View Quote

Yea, or you can just pull the fuse for the ABS. I really don't recommend this, ABS is a GOOD THING.

Actually the $600 is about right, new pads, turn rotors, flush system. Now days it is the labor in the flush that costs the most. It just takes more time than the older systems. You really have to be careful with getting air bubbles in the ABS unit. I have heard that you can ruin the unit this way, then you are into MEGA BUCKS.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Well thanks for all your insight guys/gals.
I changed them this afternoon and all was well.I got those pads that are [u]supposed[/u] to produce less brake dust so well see.Again, thanks for your posts![beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top