Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2001 4:46:55 PM EDT
I live in a small town in Texas that has no Class III dealer, in fact the closest one is 100 miles away, and I want to get into Class III but don't want to drive that far.  Would it be worth it to get my Class III License or would it be best just to drive the 100 miles?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:55:41 PM EDT
Obtaining a Class 3 license may or may not be worth it.  If I'm not mistaken, you must first obtain a regular FFL which is $200 for the first 3 years.  You next obatin the Class 3 license which is $500 per year.  If you plan on buying a lot of machine guns then get the Class 3 dealer's license.  If you want one or two, then just drive the 100 miles and go thru that dealer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:22:47 PM EDT
also dont forget the can search your house at anytime without a warrant if your a FFL and the house is your "place of buiness" if i really wannted a class 3 ffl witch i do i would open a gun store and sell class 3 along with regular guns
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:45:42 PM EDT
Drive the 100 miles.  The most difficult part of FFL/SOT acquisition is proving that gun/NFA dealing is your primary source of income and you must prove that you have a viable place of conducting business.  Oh yeah, you are subject to random inspections by the BATF and your state's DOJ.   Not worth the effort if you just want to buy some class III items.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:07:55 AM EDT
All you have to do is go to the ATF website.  They have all the info you could ask for...Class 1 is $200 for 3 years...Class 3 is $30 for 3 years and is only to "acquire" firearms classified as  "curios" and "relics".  It's purpose is to facilitate a personal collection.  You may NOT engage in the business of buying and selling curios and relics under this license.  That info is right off of an application.  The way I understand it , if you have the class 3 license, you are able to buy NFA weapons without paying the $200 bucks each time, and entitles you to the FFL prices.  You just can't conduct business with it...for that you would ALSO need a class 1.  If my understanding is incorrect, please correct me .  
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:21:08 AM EDT
I can't stand it. ATF is allowed one unscheduled visit per year durring a FFL'S listed business hours. Period end of story.

Anything else will require a court order.

The type 3 C+R collectors license only allows direct out of state purchse of C+R machine guns and this is still a tax paid transfer on form 4.

A type 01 FFL can get any NFA item out of state on a tax paid form 4.

To avoid the transfer tax between dealers only then a SOT $1000 or $500 reduced business must be added onto the type 01 FFL $66/yr $30/yr renewals this then becomes a FFL-01 Dealer with a type 3 SOT to deal in NFA weapons except destructive devices.

A 07 FFL $50/yr becomes type 2 when the SOT $500/yr is added and they can manuf. new NFA weapons as well as deal in any type of firearms other than Destructive devices.

Destructive device license is 3k
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:34:20 AM EDT
Thanks for clearing that up Dave.[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top