Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2001 8:06:06 PM EDT
If I am buying a stripped preban lower receiver can I make it into a pistol if I register it as a pistol when I do my NICS check?? Or does the lower have to be marked at the factory as a pistol??

Just wondering..

thanks,
   hawkin
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can build it into anything you want, but keep in mind that to be legal, a post-ban pistol must weigh less than 50oz, & can't have handguards.  Yes, the lower must be registered as a pistol.  You'd be better off registering your lower as a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
& it's about as fugly as a gun can be; I looked heavy into building a post-ban AR pistol awhile back, but after researching & weighing my options (pun intended) I gave up on it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
You CAN do it but the mag cannot be removable.
You would have to somehow pin ir weld it into the reciever and load it throught opening the top receiver.
I have been milling over a take down lever instead of a pin to open the upper reciever to ease in loading...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys..
I don't want a postban pistol.. Has anyone out there bought one of the uppers that are on Oly pistols.. Not sure of the name.. It would be cool to have that on a registered pistol lower though and be able to have a flash suppressor..

Thanks,
   hawkin
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe Oly manufactures their own pistol uppers, but I could very well be wrong.
If you don't want a post-ban pistol you'll surely be spending some $ on a legal registered pre-ban.
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=41426[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top