Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/2/2005 9:55:38 PM EDT

Dogs used as shark bait

STRAY dogs are being skewered on hooks and dragged behind boats as live shark bait, The Sun can shockingly reveal.

The cruel practice takes place on French-controlled Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, where Prince William spent two holidays.

A six-month-old labrador pup was recently found ALIVE with a huge double hook through its snout - like the dog above - and another through a leg.

The pup was found in a coastal creek and is thought to have somehow freed itself from a fishing line.

But other dogs and kittens have been chomped up and swallowed by sharks.

The RSPCA plans to petition the French government, demanding an end to the hideous torture.

Oh my God.

Monsters. Anyone who could do this are just plain monsters wearing human skin.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That is just a bit on the fucked up side......
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2005450212,00.jpg

Dogs used as shark bait

STRAY dogs are being skewered on hooks and dragged behind boats as live shark bait, The Sun can shockingly reveal.

The cruel practice takes place on French-controlled Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, where Prince William spent two holidays.

A six-month-old labrador pup was recently found ALIVE with a huge double hook through its snout - like the dog above - and another through a leg.

The pup was found in a coastal creek and is thought to have somehow freed itself from a fishing line.

But other dogs and kittens have been chomped up and swallowed by sharks.

The RSPCA plans to petition the French government, demanding an end to the hideous torture.

Oh my God.

Monsters. Anyone who could do this are just plain monsters wearing human skin.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an idea, lets use them as bait FUCKERS!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh my god....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I like to believe there is a special level of hell reserved for those who torture animals.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Unbelivable!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
What do ya think?? We hookem through the scrotum and drag their asses through shark infested waters?

ARFCOM fire mission?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
You can see that poor pup is just freaked

Chapps my ass in a big way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
That is very very wrong.  Damn french.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are so gullible.

The person attending to this animal is wearing scrubs..Haha
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Jesus. That makes me sick.

And pissed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What would he be wearing?  That is what Vets normally wear...  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And this is supposed to make sense to me, how exactly?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#14]
That is just insane.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
This is in The Sun.  They were probably able to squeeze the link on the page in between the articles about "J.Lo's Addiction to KFC chicken" and "Grewenth Gwyneth Paltrow thinks her boobs have actually gotten bigger". (Those are other stories I noticed on the site )
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Uh, if you found a dog with a giant hook in its snout, perhaps you'd have the clarity of thought to take it to a Vet, who just might take a pic of said hook.  Is it really that unreasonable?  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Troof.  Would like more documentation.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Might be a Muslim culture thing........as isn't France 1/2 muslim anyhow, and they generally have a hatred for dogs?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Couple of things.  One: that dog is wearing a collar.  Two: if the ONLY hook in it is the one in it's snout, that bit of flesh wouldn't be able to support the weight of the animal and it would tear out when thrown into the water and dragged behind a boat.  Another hook in the leg would, however.
And last: if you have ever gotten meat from a supermarket, the conditions that the animal it came from were grown in were arguably as fucked up, if not moreso, than this.  But they weren't quite so cute and cuddly, so fuck 'em, right?

My emotional response is to send a load of 00 buck into the knees of whoever did this and toss 'em into shark infested waters.

My logical response is that we take part in and endorse abuses this bad on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a second source to confirm this?  The Sun isn't exactly a reliable outlet of information.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#21]
And I am still laughing

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Couple of things.  One: that dog is wearing a collar.  Two: if the ONLY hook in it is the one in it's snout, that bit of flesh wouldn't be able to support the weight of the animal and it would tear out when thrown into the water and dragged behind a boat.  Another hook in the leg would, however.

Good point, I'm starting to doubt this one big time. That's a stupid place for a hook. I just grabbed my poochie by that area of his snout, and it's very thin.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#23]
So lets assume the Sun's just a bunch of BS, what about the pic? Thats still beyond fucking comprehension and try as I might I cant find sign of PS.

Look in that pups eyes. Damn.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point, I'm starting to doubt this one big time. That's a stupid place for a hook. I just grabbed my poochie by that area of his snout, and it's very thin.

Wouldn't there be blood on the tines of the hooks from sticking it through the dogs snout?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Can anyone see any blood, because I can't?

ETA:  Damn, beat by 46 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Look at the source
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Why the heck would they use dogs for bait??? Have they never heard of fish chum before? Sharks are attracted by blood/fish oil and from the looks of it the dog is not bleeding much, so it would make lousy bait.  A few ground up fish tossed overboard would be far more effective.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#28]
French video of hooked-dog

Can't understand it - it's narrated by a Frog. But it shows the above dog with hook in snout being treated by a vet.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Wouldn't there be blood on the tines of the hooks from sticking it through the dogs snout?

If it had been detatched from its line after a dousing in the ocean, no.  Not necessarily.  There does look like a small trickle of blood coming out of the dog's mouth though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Can anyone see any blood, because I can't?

ETA:  Damn, beat by 46 seconds.

I've had my lip pierced three times with almost no blood.  The hooks keep it from bleeding, pull them out and there'd be blood.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Not a fraud or hoax, AFAIK:  here's the video. It's in French, anybody care to translate?

Video of these pics
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Not a fraud or hoax, AFAIK:  here's the video. It's in French, anybody care to translate?

Video of these pics

That video could be saying that the dog got hooked in a tragic boating accident while attempting save his master's firearms collection. Still a very fishy story.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#33]
This makes me want to hit someone with a baseball bat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Why the heck would they use dogs for bait??? Have they never heard of fish chum before? Sharks are attracted by blood/fish oil and from the looks of it the dog is not bleeding much, so it would make lousy bait.  A few ground up fish tossed overboard would be far more effective.

I would suspect that the hook isn't meant to "support" the dog - it's to hook the shark that grabs the dog.

I guess they toss the dog overboard along with fish chum and let the swimming movement of the live dog attract the sharks to grab the dog and get hooked in the process.

Totally fucked up in the most inhuman kind of way no matter what.

Reminds me of a story I vaguely remember of slaveowners using slaves as bait to catch sharks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
That video could be saying that the dog got hooked in a tragic boating accident while attempting save his master's firearms collection. Still a very fishy story.

What's all the stuff about the stray dogs being taken from the pound at the start? It's consistent with all the websites covering this story.

To me, this sounds very plausible.

Diabolical, but still believable.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This makes me want to hit someone In a fishing boat with a dog for baitwith a baseball bat.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I hope to god that is BS cause it just damn sad
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would suspect that the hook isn't meant to "support" the dog - it's to hook the shark that grabs the dog.

I guess they toss the dog overboard along with fish chum and let the swimming movement of the live dog attract the sharks to grab the dog and get hooked in the process.

Totally fucked up in the most inhuman kind of way no matter what.

Reminds me of a story I vaguely remember of slaveowners using slaves as bait to catch sharks.

The dog would not have to be trolled but instead just throwen overboard with chum, sharks would tear that up. The "swimming" motion of the dog would certinally seal its fait.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
And last: if you have ever gotten meat from a supermarket, the conditions that the animal it came from were grown in were arguably as fucked up, if not moreso, than this.  But they weren't quite so cute and cuddly, so fuck 'em, right?

My logical response is that we take part in and endorse abuses this bad on a daily basis.

This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This man speaks the truth.

I dont eat Lab.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This makes me want to hit someone In a fishing boat with a dog for baitwith a baseball bat.

Fixed it for you.

That was implied, but thanks all the same.

I hope this is a hoax, but it certainly isn't unrealistic or unbelieveable based on all the other demented stuff people do to animals of all sorts.

I agree that hook in the dogs mooch is meant for the shark.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#44]
If that's true, that is THOUROUGHLY FVCKED UP.

However, pics can obviously be misleading.

case in point:
When my pup was about 4 months old, I heard her yelping/whimpering in the front room.
I come in to see her with a fish hook through her tongue!
Still attached to the fishing rod!

Now, I didn't exactly leave the rod just laying on the floor, so she and the other puppy might have knocked it down. But whatever, still freaked me out!

Didn't have time to take a pic, but if I did, it would have made the usual rounds and eventually
could have created it's own story behind it.

I sincerely hope that pic is the same situation.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm very skeptical of this claim. As pointed out by others the hooks would tear out from the dogs lips if he was trolled, and dogs make crappy live bait. He would drown in no time flat and no longer be live bait.

I think a more likey senario is that the dog tried to eat some of his masters rigged bait and got hooked.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#46]

It would seem to be a bad way to catch sharks as most of the sharks I know do NOT hit the head, but rather the tail or body.  Of course, thats off shore from GA and I don't know about them there sharks.

I had hoped this was bullshit, but I never cease to be surprised by the depths of peoples depravity.

Of course, I do the same thing with other fish as live bait so maybe I have no moral high ground here.  Actually, when I first saw the picture, I figured it was a PETA scare tactic to get at fishermen who use live bait (the worm, frog, fish, or shrimp kind). but its not, apparently.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Just one more reason to hate the fucking french.
They should be forced to walk the streets of Iraq wearing white t-shirts with bold black lettering that says "I AM AMERICAN". POS french.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

That was implied, but thanks all the same.

Just trying to focus rage.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Those hooks are pretty well centered to be accidental, and look how long the tines are.  It would be pretty hard for that dog to accidently get that thing hooked on itself like that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I do not like the idea of using live dogs as shark bait but you know millions of dogs and cats are killed every year in this Country at dog pounds and animal shelters.  I think it would be a terrible way to go getting trolled behind a boat to either drown or get eaten by a shark, but is it really any worse than getting gasses or leathaly injected?

How would you all feal about using them as shark bait after they were dead?
Who believes God put all the animals on the earth, in the air and in the water for us to eat?
How many here eat dog or cat?
Isn't using a dog for bait just another use of an animal that was put her for us to have dominion over?
I would not do it and again don't like the idea, but they are animals and I am sure the French have millions of "extra" ones just like we do in the U.S.

Are you as outraged at the millions that are killed more "humanely" here in the U.S.?
The County I live in kills an average of 80 dogs and cats 7 days a week 365 days a year.                (Over 30,000 a year) We have a large County land wise but not really thay many people.
I think the number of animals killed in shelters is a National disgrace!

I love dogs and although I am not really a cat person I don't dislike them I just prefer dogs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top