Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2002 5:12:12 PM EDT
Well, I'm finally joining the NRA. And I'm not sure which magazine I should pick with my membership.

My options are American Rifleman, American Hunter, and America's 1st Freedom.

I'm trying to decide between American Rifleman and America's 1st Freedom, as I don't generaly subscribe to hunting magazines even though I do hunt.

Never read the America's 1st Freedom so I'm not even sure what the content in it is. Can somebody fill me in?

Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked the American Rifleman.  It's pretty much a general interest gun mag that is well rounded w/political stories as well as reviews of various guns, reloading components, etc.

I guess it really boils down to which you are most interested in.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my subscription changed over from American Rifleman to America's First Freedom a couple of years ago, and I'm kind of sorry I did it. I don't hunt, so I thought the political activism of AFF would be more to my liking. However, I get plenty of political info from the gun boards and Free Republic, and I really miss some of the gun reviews in AR.

AFF is indeed an interesting read from cover to cover, but by the time many of the stories make it into print, we've already known about them via online sources for several months. Guess you could say that the info in AR is more of a "timeless" nature.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
for some reason they just started sending me AFF instead of the hunting one...i don't know what happened but i didn't do anything different.  it'd be nice to get both.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
for some reason they just started sending me AFF instead of the hunting one...i don't know what happened but i didn't do anything different.  it'd be nice to get both.
View Quote

For another $15 a year you can have both, I saw this advertised in my newest issue of American Rifleman.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
"American Rifleman".  I think I should have ordered "american Guardian"
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got an email saying theres another one coming out or it has been out called American Shooter...$10 a year I think.  Might want to check that one out as well, haven't really looked at it though so  can't tell you anything about it.

I get AR and AFF.  Maybe half of the stuff in AFF is old news by the time you get it though but its still a nice magazine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with American Rifleman, no doubt about it.

America's First Freedom is 90% politics, 10% guns.  And the gun content is identical to that in Rifleman.

Guardian is geared towards total newbies, people who have just bought their first pistol and have no clue how to use it.  And again the gun content is identical to that in Rifleman.

Rifleman has some articles that make it worth hanging on to.  My wife subscribes to that, and I get First Freedom.  It goes in the trash after a quick skim.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just got an email saying theres another one coming out or it has been out called American Shooter...$10 a year I think.  Might want to check that one out as well, haven't really looked at it though so  can't tell you anything about it.

I get AR and AFF.  Maybe half of the stuff in AFF is old news by the time you get it though but its still a nice magazine.
View Quote

I think you're referring to the new NRA publication "Shooting Illustrated".
I just subscribed for two years.  It's a separate magazine than the ones included with the membership, I think.
Shooting Illustrated only has 5 issues out so far.  I've got #4 and #5, and I've asked about getting the first 3 so I'll have the whole collection.
The magazine is pretty good and is only $9.95 per year.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"American Rifleman".  I think I should have ordered "american Guardian"
View Quote

American Guardian was discontinued and it became the America's 1st Freeom.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I just subscribed for two years.  It's a separate magazine than the ones included with the membership, I think.
Shooting Illustrated only has 5 issues out so far.  I've got #4 and #5, and I've asked about getting the first 3 so I'll have the whole collection.
View Quote

Yup you'd be right, just checked the email.  Shooting Illustrated.  So its a good one?  Mind giving some general information on what its about?  Target shooting?
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I like American Rifleman.  It's a decent balance between RKBA articles and gun hardware articles.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
the Pre-Ban  High Capacity one [;)]

I've subscribed to Aemrican Rifleman & 1st Freedom

American Rifleman is definitely better!

If your an avid hunter maybe American Hunter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Yup you'd be right, just checked the email.  Shooting Illustrated.  So its a good one?  Mind giving some general information on what its about?  Target shooting?
View Quote

It's more "things" oriented.  Technical.  Stuff.
Little to none of the political writing.  Refreshing to read about the gun stuff without the politics hanging over your head like a cloud.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't get any magazines from them.  I want them to spend my money on fighting for the 2nd amendment, rather than being a publishing house.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I like American Rifleman the best but I wish they would do more coverage of guns that are less than 100 years old.

I don't have much interest in really old firarms. I'd like to see more assault weapon and recent firearm coverage.

but overall it's pretty good.

crash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top