Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:34:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 6:36:52 PM EST by Firelotus]
So tonight, I put a burrito in the microwave like I have many times in the past. The directions say to wrap the burrito in a paper towel and put it in for 1 1/2 minutes, turn it and then put it in for another 1 1/2 minutes.... My wife was upstairs brushing her teeth and started yelling about something smelling like it was on fire, we ran into the kitchen and saw smoke everywhere and realized the burrito had caught on fire and the microwave was smoking like crazy. How could this have happened? Even if I accidentally had left the burrito in for longer than 3 minutes, is this normal for it to have caught fire and burnt to a crisp? Is it possibly the paper towel that did it? The burrito? Or maybe the microwave malfunctioned? See pictures for further examination. Any input is appreciated.

* this picture was taken afterwards, the paper towel was originally wrapped around the burrito; in this pic afterwards it was just lying in there in a pile.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:37 PM EST
Looks like a malfuntion to me.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:58 PM EST
Tell your wife to break out the pots and pans, microwaves have just been outlawed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:37:20 PM EST
It looks like there's a cat in your microwave. That would be the problem.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:37:22 PM EST
I'd be worried that the Microwave is malfunctioning, you'd have to WAY overcook something to get it like that.

I should also take the time to remind people to have fire extinguishers in their house and car.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:38:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 6:39:04 PM EST by deej86]
Reminds me of what happened to me last time I tried cooking popcorn in the microwave.

Put it in.

Step away and hear "zzzzt."

Come back and see arcing in the microwave. I turn it off and unplug it.

Turns out the microwave was FUBAR.

Edit-your microwave is probably FUBARED.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:38:29 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:38:45 PM EST
Yummy! Cajun style blackened burrito.

My guess is you thought you punched in 1-3-0 but you may have entered 1-3-0-0 by mistake.

Unless you're a pyromaniac, then it was intentional.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:38:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:39:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:49:01 PM EST
Drinking beer and cooking steaks at a guy's house one day and he threw some Potatoes in an ancient 1,000,000 Megawatt microwave that had a broken timer. Well lets just say a few beers and some forgotten potatoes later there were flames and thick smoke coming from the microwave. The best part was watching his wife kick his ass when she got home from work
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:54:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:55:25 PM EST
FIRST Problem:

I had a customer that her GE did the same thing and it WAS indeed a GE and the timer didnt stop... just kept on going. She went up to take a shower and when she got out she thought she was gonna have dinner... Nope.

If you have a "bare" spot where the paint is off and you arced and hit the paper towel, then There Ya Go!

Sharp Microwave... Stainless interior... Next time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:57:17 PM EST
Somebody snuck in and overclocked your microwave
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:04:46 PM EST
Looks like premature flatulation to me. One of the beans went off too soon and BLAMMO!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:06:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By deej86:

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:



at most a -87
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:09:34 PM EST
Here's a little cooking tip that might come in handy in the future if you use traditional cooking methods. When the recipe calls for you to grease the bottom of a skillet, they don't really mean THE BOTTOM.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:14:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hipster:
Yummy! Cajun style blackened burrito.

My guess is you thought you punched in 1-3-0 but you may have entered 1-3-0-0 by mistake.

Unless you're a pyromaniac, then it was intentional.

That's my guess. The one at work had a bad keypad and you'd get multiple numbers. ie, press 1 and get 11. I doubt that 1:30 could do that. Clean up the microwave, put a pyrex measuring cup full of water in it and give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:27:58 PM EST
When I worked at McDonald's, I learned that a McDonald's muffin will ignite in just under 45 seconds in a McDonald's "q-ing oven" (High powered microwave). If you call it a microwave, you're fired!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:31:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:

Not even a firearm in the pic! It at least needs a fire extinquisher!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:31:21 PM EST
Take it out back and shoot it. This should have been done before you posted.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:32:20 PM EST
I was cooking something awhile back and it exploded into smoke and flames at work. There was a little piece of paper from a magazine stuck to the bottom of it that was not microwavable and made an arc.

Even if you zapped it too long it should not have made it burst into flames, my guess is maybe there was a little piece of foil or something in it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:44:29 PM EST
You really have problems when you can't cook dinner in the microwave!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:59:57 AM EST
Our GE Spacemaker II went TU after 11 years yesterday. Did a Google search to find a new one cheap and found postings that complain of fires with Spacemakers. Any one else know about this it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:08:21 AM EST
That first picture looks like an Iraqi insurgent
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:14:15 AM EST
Your microwave merely thinks you are a god and placed burnt offerings before you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:22:42 AM EST
I've had the same thing happen! LilGH put a plastic gun in the microwave and turned it on. I look into the kitchen and it is filling with black smoke and he is screaming. The smoke is pouring out of the microwave and when I look in, there are flames shooting up from the gun inside. The microwave still worked but I couldn't get the smokey smell out of it and lilGH never touches the new microwave now either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:30:43 AM EST
Don't use recycled paper towels in your microwave. Sometimes, there are bits of metal in them. At least, that's what the user manual for my microwave says.

I like my GE microwave. It makes things hot and doesn't catch fire.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:37:13 AM EST
I'm betting it was a timer typo. My sister ignited some baked potatoes she was doing in her microwave cause she accidently hit 20:oo instead of 2:00 and walked away to do something else.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:39:45 AM EST
1.21 gigawats!!!! Now you can send the professor back to the future.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:45:15 AM EST
Ban microwaves.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:06:04 AM EST
You have probably been exposed to high levels of microwaves.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:26:14 AM EST
Whatever nutrutional value may have been present in that burrito before the microwave is non-existent.


Irradiating your food effectively destroys all nutritional content!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:30:44 AM EST
Damn,I didn't think it was possible for anything to catch fire in a microwave.Personally,I don't have a microwave,but this is good to know.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:58:47 AM EST
WOW....I just had the same exact type mw freak on me day before yesterday....trash now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:02:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By TrijiCog:
Damn,I didn't think it was possible for anything to catch fire in a microwave.Personally,I don't have a microwave,but this is good to know.

My father has gone through 2. One "drying" the newspaper (it catches fire eventually) and the second warming up his golf balls before a round on a chilly morning. They had fluid centers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:47:27 AM EST
Try baking your burrito in the oven. It takes a bit longer but the tortilla is crispy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:47:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 4:48:25 AM EST by Nozzleman]
Definately over cooked! Perhaps a malfuntioning keypad but more likely operator error.

Panasonic micowaves of about 10 years ago had a delay cook feature. You could program them to come on at a later time. Some of these were put into RV's. While on the dealers lot, people touring the coach would sometimes randomly punch the keypad and inadvertantly set the micro to turn on later and for long cooking periods. Since it was "new", the cooking compartment contained the dish , owners manual and cardboard packaging. The metal staples on the manual would get hot and sometimes arc to the compartment side causing a fire. The fire was completely contained inside the micro but it sure ruined the "new coach smell".

BTW, Panasonic (Matsushita Electric) makes many models of micros for other brands including some GE models.

Watch out for the overcooked popcorn! It glows inside like a cigarette and may erupt into flames later. Don't throw it in the waste basket (but then you probably already knew that).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:58:46 PM EST
bump for the night crew
Top Top