Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 6:14:39 PM EDT
I got here yesterday, & we went fishing out of Homer this morning. We kept 6 halibut ranging from 20 to 30 pounds,  & 5 silver salmon from 10 to 14 poundss!  

We got a 12pk of Alaskan amber, for a mere $17.00. Only one left & I'm going to buy more after dinner at the lodge. The owner is leting me use their laptop to post.

See ya in the funny papers!

We go back out tomarrow, & head for Seward in 2 days. Vacation is so good!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck Bro!
Pics man, pics!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
We only have the cheap throw away cameras! Maybe when we get back I cak get them scaned at Wally world, & put them on the site.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Wish the atmosphere was clearer for you.  Forest fires have been hell this summer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Much, much better sigline.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool I've been up there once it sure is beautiful enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Have fun....You deserve it.

I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If you dont know we're rippin it up at the convention! Arnie was great and Zell Miller who just spoke tonite ripped the dems a new one!!!!
Have a good trip!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice going! I love Alaska!

My dad and I have been there together to fish a bunch of times. Last time went came home with 130 & 125 lbs of cleaned halibut & salmon each. The fishing there is not to be believed, not to mention the scenery.

Have a blast, take a lot of photos, be safe and savor every moment. Alaska is a special place.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Enjoy your trip and Please try to post a few pics.........
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
We had 27lbs of salmon fillets, & 43lbs of Halibut today. We still have 13 days to go, & 4 more guided days left. Then a week of unplaned fishing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Homer is a cool place.  We moved from there in 1976 so my dad could find a decent job in Anchorage.   His business venture to build a fish packaging business that catered to the 6 pack charter crowd fell through due to a partner pulling out....  The one that did get going is doing very well as you may be noticing....

Mom was halfway serious about offering free haircuts to hippies in her shop on Main street.

Still have a lot of friends down there.

The state built the Homer Spit bypass road 3' in front of our house....  Mom loved that house....

I sure thought about moving back, but the hippies took over.  Turned it into Greenwich Village north.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
You should hit Kodiak Island and say hello to Chaz for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Chaz who?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Give the Russian River a try!!! Im sure at this time the Silvers are running thick!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Were thinking of a float on the Keni for rainbow next.Were going to fish silvers on the little Sue in Wassila too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Here are a few Silvers out of the Holitna about 3 weeks ago

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Watch out for Crack pipes!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Bastard. I envy you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#20]
We stayed on the military resort and went out into resurection bay( Seward).  Did you take the military's fishing boats?  Those guys are great, what an MOS!  If you go with those guys dont bring any bannanas....Bad Luck!!!  

Have a good trip!!!  Enjoy the daylight!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Watch out for Crack pipes!

Best way to avoid them is to stay away from you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#22]
We just got back from day 2 of halibut fishing. I was the only one out of 5 guys that didn't boat a keeper today! I  caught 5 very small ones & 7 cod fish. No keepers for me, but we now have 84 lbs of halibut, & 27 of silver salmon fillets. Were fishing in the Homer fishing hole in the morning, & then off to Seward for 3 days, with no fishing chartes schedualed. Were going to go snagging at the mouth of a small river that feeds into the ocean, & take a Keni Fourds day tour for fun.

I don't know if I will find a way to post in Seward, so for now, take off markm. Go smoke some more crack  

PS, last night I bought 4 12 packs of different types of Alaskan beers, & a large jug of bitter beer, from the Homer brewery 1 block from our lodge.

The served us Alaskan Amber with our dinner at the lodge last night too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the trip is well deserved.  Your still a lucky dog for being there.  When we go, were bringing guns, not poles though.  Scout all you can!!!

Sawed off
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, I wish I could experience some of those things.
Oh, wait, nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Damn, I wish I could experience some of those things.
Oh, wait, nevermind.

That stuff sure does sound fun doesn't it ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Youse Alaskan guys! I'm still having a ball. We went to Seward, & didn't get any silvers. Lack of experiance, & of silvers coupled with lots of combat fishing made it not work so hard for us. We are in Wasilla now, & set to go to the little Sue in the morning for silvers. We found some log cabins at a general store about 10 minutes from the landing for $30.00 a night. My dad want sto meet the guide at 9:00 am because he said it would be cold in the morning, & my dad has lived in Texas for nearly 20 yrs now. He has very thin blood.

I had one of theso weird moments today. I was having lunch with my dad in a cafe  out in no where land & I noticed an older man at a table across from us. I staqrted staring at him, & said excuse me sir, is your name Jerry? He said yes, & I said I met you 27 yrs ago in Anchorage when I was visiting my dad up here. He rememberd me too, & invited my pop, & I to visit on our way back to Anchorag. He said he has a house in Hatcher pass, so it sounds a little out of the way, but we will take him up.

We may head for Valdeze next, see ya when I see ya. Searcher out
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#27]
You probably don't want to read about the 140 Lb Halibutt my boss caught last night eh?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Too bad I was not home.  I live in Wasilla.  Home in a couple weeks. :(
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]
My dad & I caught 4 nice silvers, our limit, about 40 minutes from the start of our guided day. It was $200.00, & WE WERE DONE SO QUICK IT MADE OUR HEADS SPIN. I caught mine 50 yrds from the landing & my dad caught his about 100 yrds from the landing.

Tomarrow we are just going to walk in for 3 minutes to the same sots & catch our limits, & go do something else for the day.

I have to pay for this time so I'm not posting anything but our trip resualts , so I hope all is well with the rest of ya'll.

Searcher out
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#30]
bring me back a quart of milk and a loaf of bread, will you?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chaz who?

chazxman charters

This Chaz
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#32]
One of the damndest things about living in Alaska is when you leave the state, and someone says "You're an Alaskan?  You know so-and-so? He lives there."  the answer is often

"Yeah."

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
One of the damndest things about living in Alaska is when you leave the state, and someone says "You're an Alaskan?  You know so-and-so? He lives there."  the answer is often

"Yeah."

So true . So uh when I tell Chaz hi , I tell him hi from ?????
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Well. were catching lots of sliver, & on two differnt riveres I have run across huge & I do mean huge grizzly tracks. Makes me feel small & insignificant holding my .45 kimber.

We went to Valdez yesterday & came back to Wasilla today. We saw a cow moose with 2 calfs on the edge of the road on the way there.

So far weve seen a pod of killer whale, & 2 humpbacks, 3 moose, 6 sea otters, sea lions that have spoiled our fishing several times. More salmon than I could shake a stick at, & some bear tracks that made the hair on my neck stand at attention.

Were going to get some plaster of Paris before we go back out & make a casting of the tracks to bring home. The tracks alone are impressive to say the least. Next time maybe I'll bring the .375 H&H mag for peace of mind.

I have about 6 12 packs of differsnt types of Alaskan beer, & I'm conserding throwinfg out my clothes on the return trip to help fit the beer in their place.

Anyways, were still having a ball, but getting worn down to the nub. Nearly a 6 hr drive yesterday & today just to have a looksee, & were headed back to the little sue when I'm done her to catch some more silvers. The run is almost done, but the ones wev'e been catching still have sea lice on them, & that's a good sign. That, & they are still very silver in color. The flesh has been from orange to redish, & we dropped off 7 yesterday to Smioked Alaska, & they will be ready to pick up tomarrow.

Hope you all are having as much fun as I am.  Searcher out
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Semper Fi!  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad you're having such a well-deserved vacation, old buddy.

And my friend arowneragain is sure right.  Your sig line puts a lump in my throat.

Keep up the good work.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I caught 2 really nice silvers this morning, & dropped them off at the fish processor's in Wasilla. We are now heading for a drive to Whitier by way of Turnagain Arm.

If ya'll have never been to Alaska, I highly recomend it. It's a sneak prieview of heaven. Course there's no rotting fish in the rivers in heaven!

I fear my time in paridise is quickly running out. 2 more days & I will be on the plane headed back to a warmer climate. I love this 35 to 65 weather so much more than 78 to 98. The fall colors are hitting, & the birch is golden, the fireweed is now red. Very beautiful time to be here.

They siad it's the best summer Alaska has had since 49, & we have seen very little rain.

Thank God for his gentile mercies.

When it comes to fishing I'm a !!!!! We have 19 silvers, my dad caught  4 of them, even with me hooking them & handing him the pole. He did do better than me on the Hailbut tho.

His birthday is on the 13th, what a great present, the sunset of the AWB!!!! That rocks!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, "good" if you like sun and +70 F temps.  I don't!

I like the weather we're having now, cool and sunny, or rainy and cloudy and gloomy, preferably with stiff blustery wind.  I hate sweating like a pig like I have all summer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I like the weather we're having now, cool and sunny, or rainy and cloudy and gloomy, preferably with stiff blustery wind.  I hate sweating like a pig like I have all summer.

Everybody I've talked to here is loving it. They siad it's been a great summer. You think it's been warm up here, you surely would hate Texas.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everybody I've talked to here is loving it. They siad it's been a great summer. You think it's been warm up here, you surely would hate Texas.

I know I would!  That's why I live here and not there!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

"Yeah."

I went to Florida last winter and bumped into someone who lives in my home town in Mallory Square, Key West. Talk about a small world.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Yeah."

I went to Florida last winter and bumped into someone who lives in my home town in Mallory Square, Key West. Talk about a small world.

Yea . My second year here in Kodiak I bumped into a highsvchool buddy I had lost touch with . He came up here to fish , and I came up here to live . Small world indeed .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top