Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 11:12:37 AM EDT
Comedian Robert Schimmel dies after car accident

PHOENIX – Standup comic Robert Schimmel, a frequent guest on Howard Stern's radio show, has died after suffering serious injuries in a car accident. He was 60.

Schimmel's spokesman, Howard Bragman, said Schimmel died Friday evening in a Phoenix hospital.

Schimmel was a passenger Aug. 26 in a car driven by his 19-year-old daughter Aliyah. Bragman said Aliyah Schimmel swerved to avoid another car and the vehicle she was driving rolled to the side of the freeway. Bragman said she is hospitalized in stable condition.

Robert Schimmel lived in Scottsdale. The 60-year-old comedian has been a frequent guest on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and on Howard Stern's radio show. His 2008 memoir, "Cancer on $5 a Day," chronicles his battle with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Schimmel starred in a Fox sitcom that was picked up in 2000 but had to be canceled after he learned he had cancer and needed to begin chemotherapy immediately, according to his website.

The site says Schimmel more recently had a Showtime special called "Life Since Then" and was integrating his life's experiences with comedy to not only make audiences laugh but raise cancer awareness and hope.

The site also says the comedian learned a lot about "life, attitude and laughter" following his cancer fight and the loss of a child. He also had two failed marriages.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100905/ap_en_tv/us_obit_robert_schimmel

I saw him live at the Funny Bone here in Richmond a few years back and got him to sign his DVD. He was a funny guy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, he was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
damn.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I was following this story on FaceBook and Twitter via the various comedians that I know. Really bad deal. He was a funny guy who went through a lot of shit in his life, but kept it together through comedy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
lesson: don't get into a vehicle with anyone named Alyiah...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I saw it on Fark a couple of days ago.  He was one of the funiest comedians ever.  95% of his act was very not-safe-for-work, but he was funny as hell.

My wife and I actually saw him live at a comedy club in Raleigh when we were dating (front row too!).  I laughed so hard I almost passed out.  I wish I had it on tape.  A lot of the material I've never seen again on TV.
With all his health problems over the last few years, I never would have thought he'd go in a car wreck.  
On a lighter note, here are a couple of his goodies:
"I needed to get into shape so I joined a gym.  This trainer wanted me to do some exercises 'just to see where you're at.'  I warned him that I got winded filling out the membership application, so don't expect too much.

He put me on this stair climber machine, and less than a minute later, I started to smell bone burning like when you're at the dentist."
"My problem is that my kids have seen my act, so they think they can talk to me about sex, even though they're my kids.  The other day my daughter calls me up and says, 'Dad, I really need to talk about something with me and Steve, and I can't tell mom, because I know she'll just freak.'  Great, thanks to calling me.  Hang on, let me get my heart pills.  Because if she tells me she took it up the ass, I'm gonna drop dead right on the fuckin' phone.  How would you like that to be the last thing you ever hear?  'Daddy, I don't like it in the butt.'  (grabs chest) 'DOOOHHH!  Mother fuck!'

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]
His HBO stand up is hilarious, I was sad to hear of his death.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#7]
We'll miss him.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Robert Schimmel on Blind People
"How do blind people know when they’re done wiping their ass?"

on Penis Enlargement
"They do sell a lot of weird things in sex shops. They have this stuff called Mr. Big Cream. It says, “Rub it on your dick and your dick gets bigger.” Great. Wouldn’t your hands get bigger too? "

on Dogs
"What do you say when your friends come to visit and the dog starts humping their leg. Well, if it’s a pit bull, you say, “You better let him finish.” "

on Feminine Hygiene Ads
"They do have weird ads. That one with the mother and daughter on the beach –– 'Mom, why do they have douche?' Why don't you ask the pelicans that are following you?"
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a very naive dental assistant one day tell me I was going to feel a little prick in my mouth one day.   I started giggling uncontrollably, she asked me why I was laughing so I told her the joke and she didn't get it.

Damned shame he's gone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I was very sorry to hear about his death too.  

He was a funny guy.  I really liked his bit about the "Singapore butt slug" in the airport restroom.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I had a very naive dental assistant one day tell me I was going to feel a little prick in my mouth one day.   I started giggling uncontrollably, she asked me why I was laughing so I told her the joke and she didn't get it.

Damned shame he's gone.

I loved the bit where he talked about his rectal exam:

"You may feel a little bit of pressure."

"Yeah, on the roof of my mouth.  Get it out."

And the doctor thinks he can just talk to you while he's doing this.

"Hey, did you watch the big game last night?"

"Yeah....  I taste metal."

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Robert Schimmel was a seriously funny guy

The bit he did on "Make a Wish" was one of the most inappropriately funny things I've heard.

RIP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top