User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nice rifle and pics, OP. Please don't refinish it. Doing so will reduce the value.

The Long Branch No.4 was made in Canada. They are considered to be among the best of the No.4s.

Mine No.4 Mk.I was made at ROF Fazakerly in 1994, then FTRed (Factory Thorough Repaired) there in 1948. I bought it at Woolworth's in 1985 or so. .303 Ball will smack the 200 yard steel gong around with authority.

In case you don't know, here is how to properly load a .303 clip to avoid rimlock:

That clip don't look quite right

I mean, if the rim on the top shell is behind the one under it, wouldn't it catch and jam? Like what the mosins would do?
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have nothing to add except, wow NICE RIFLE and GREAT PICS!

Yeah . . . outstanding clarity ....I mean,wow

I've had an old sporterized No4Mk1 1942 that I may scrounge up a stock set for ....what's a refinishable set of wood worth ?

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice find. Great rifles.

Fantastic pics, btw.  I'm getting better on handgun pics but still having a problem with full length rifle shots.

Any chance you can tell us about your photo lighting setup and, even better, show us a couple pics of how you have everything set up? (I've found that seeing pics of layouts helps me understand the setup better)

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In case you don't know, here is how to properly load a .303 clip to avoid rimlock:

I mean, if the rim on the top shell is behind the one under it, wouldn't it catch and jam? Like what the mosins would do?
I saw that and thought the same thing I've always put the next one up in front of the last .

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
These are odd guns (I own 2 & love them).

One was made by Savage in the USA & is marked "U.S. Property"  Yep - right here in the US, we built No. 4s for the Brits and even Mosin Nagants for the White Russians.  The other is a North American Longbranch (Canadian).

The buttstocks of all No. 4s were intended to come in several lengths.  They were made this way to fit the individual's soldier's size. Why?

- The English are historically expert shotgunners and they are adept at "fitting" a gun to the shooter; this experience also led to design features of the Enfields to improve the SPEED at which a soldier could shoot accurately and reload.

The Enfield was designed to provide the greatest volume of aimed fire (i.e. firepower) of any bolt gun of that time period.  The 10 round fixed magazine added to the firepower (it is technically "detachable" but NOT designed to be detached except for repair).

Interesting guns overall. Nice acquisition.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh good lord.

Don't worry, got plenty of nice originals.  And some nice bubba'd pseudo-Scouts.  But that one has its charms, not many Enfields break down to fit in a backpack.

My proudest Enfield possession is probably the sealed tins of Greek .303 in bandoliers, my "retirement fund".  IIRC two 300 round tins for $99, from Ammoman no less, and that was kind of expensive compared to the boxed Greek at the fun show for $5 per 48.  If we could only go back, I swear I wouldn't miss the opportunity again...
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I recently picked up a Lee Enfield No4 Mk. 1.
~snip ~
 Anyways on to the pics.

While we're discussing pics, how about sharing details of your light tent and lighting? Your pictures are superb!

And, that's a fine rifle. The Enfield is probably the finest bolt action rifle ever fielded in combat.

When next you visit Youtube, search on the term "mad minute", and enjoy seeing the SMLE in action.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]

I thought the first one was bad.

That poor Enfield.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
That little trident stamp that's on everything is the Broad Arrow.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I thought the first one was bad.
That poor Enfield.

LOL.  The second best part:  Fixed 4x airgun scope!

First best part is the giant fireballs from the 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the rifle with that lovely camo paint already applied. Took alot of elbow grease but it cleaned up nice.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quick question for the enfield gurus.

Why did enfield redesign the muzzle for the No4 instead of just continuing using the smle design?  If I had to guess it would be for attaching a grenade launcher, but not sure, and I'm pretty sure they were using GLs in ww1 with the smle.  Either way I think the no4 is a more asthetically pleasing design.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Canadian. Longbranch is a subway stop in Toronto, near where the factory used to be.

ETA: I have an extra bayo I'd be willing to trade for something neat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#17]
ok, now that I'm home from work

1950 Long Branch CNo4 Mk1*

1946 Fazakerely  No5 Mk1

not pictured is a 1945 Fazakerely No5 Mk1 that is at my folks place back in PA

currently in the market for a Savage No4 Mk1* or a No4 Mk2
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 2:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw that and thought the same thing I've always put the next one up in front of the last .

Guys, the two-up, three-down way to load clips is correct for Lee-Enfields. That pic is from a British manual for the rifles. Try it.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Fuck you, I hate you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#20]
are all the stripper clips the same for enfields?   I need to pick up some.  

I'll try to put together some shots of my lighting set up later today.   I'll be busy with work for the next 6 or 7 hours so probably this afternoon.    I can even show you guys how to do it without lighting, other than natural.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:19:53 AM EDT
[#21]
It has some scratches and dings.

Send it to me.  I'll give you $50.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll try to put together some shots of my lighting set up later today.   I'll be busy with work for the next 6 or 7 hours so probably this afternoon.    I can even show you guys how to do it without lighting, other than natural.

I think there were some different variants of the SMLE chargers early on (meaning in the CLLE-era), but I don't have the book in front of me right now to look.  Regardless, any of the chargers you find out there are more than likely all going to be the common ones that were used in the SMLEs and No. 4/5s, and will work.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there were some different variants of the SMLE chargers early on (meaning in the CLLE-era), but I don't have the book in front of me right now to look.  Regardless, any of the chargers you find out there are more than likely all going to be the common ones that were used in the SMLEs and No. 4/5s, and will work.

thanks.  

Are you guys getting info on this rifle from an online source or from a book?   I would like to read up on the enfield.   Some of you guys have great knowledge on the markings so I'd like to know where to look to learn about them myself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:41:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fuck you, I hate you.

Hey, I've got one of those too.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:43:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.  

Are you guys getting info on this rifle from an online source or from a book?   I would like to read up on the enfield.   Some of you guys have great knowledge on the markings so I'd like to know where to look to learn about them myself.

The bible of Lee-Enfields is Ian Skennerton's book, titled "The Lee-Enfield."  It's about $80 though, last I checked, so it's not necessarily something for the casual Enfield fan.  Stratton's books from North Cape Publishing are good, but not as complete as Skennerton and do contain a few inaccuracies.  Skennerton also has a few books specifically about markings as well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:46:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I might add that your rifle is unique.  It's one of the only Maltby-produced rifles I've seen that has legible markings on the socket.  Most Maltby rifles look like they were stamped by a band of intoxicated one-armed dyslexic chimpanzees.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:01:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, I hate you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/zacheb/20130402_191756_zps9c480b35.jpg

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, I hate you.

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mine spent the war in New Zealand, though, so those two rack marks are the only dings on the whole gun
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:11:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice pics.  Mine is almost identical to yours.  I swapped out the rear sight for an adjustable flip up that isn't correct but makes shooting it more fun.  I would like to refinish mine.  I don't care about the value, it isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:12:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, I hate you.

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mine spent the war in New Zealand, though, so those two rack marks are the only dings on the whole gun

I'll trade ya my late forties Faz?
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not on your life  That Long Branch is one of my Holy Grail Enfields.  The fact that some of the parts were made by the same company who produced the hockey sticks and skates I used is just plain cool

ETA:  And besides, I've already got an Irish Contract Faz  

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice pics.  Mine is almost identical to yours.  I swapped out the rear sight for an adjustable flip up that isn't correct but makes shooting it more fun.  I would like to refinish mine.  I don't care about the value, it isn't going anywhere.

I've been wanting to refinish my Faz as well. Too bad life keeps getting in the way
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:15:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not on your life  That Long Branch is one of my Holy Grail Enfields.  The fact that some of the parts were made by the same company who produced the hockey sticks and skates I used is just plain cool

If I could find a sniper Long Branch in the crate and all matching, I'd probably sell my mom into arab sex slavery
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If I could find a sniper Long Branch in the crate and all matching, I'd probably sell my mom into arab sex slavery

A sniper is next on my list of Enfields That I Don't Have Any More Room For
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A sniper is next on my list of Enfields That I Don't Have Any More Room For

You only have one mom (well most people do) but there are only so many Long Branch Ts for sale
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:52:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I own several #4 MK1s but the Cadillac of the #4 world has to be the 1950 Longbranch. IMHO they were the best made of all the #4 Mk1s outside of the post-war #4 target rifles rebuilt by commercial firms.

Outside of a few storage dings my 1950 LB is near perfect. It's one of the few mil-surps Enfields that I was happy to pay near market price (at the time) for.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I just wish I could find more mags for mine....or even more stripper clips!    
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the chargers I've seen have been the last generation made, and THEY SUCK.  The finish is a dull parkerizing.  It's rough and the rounds hang up in them badly without some buffing and bending.  You can make 'em work, but it's a pain in the ass.  There are markings on them indicating their relation in a series, but I can't remember which Mk. were the good ones and which the bad.  What I can say definitely is that the crappy ones have that parked finish and have a hole pattern down the side like this:

The ones I like are blued steel and older.  They're slick, they're springy, the rounds just glide right out of them.  Their holes look like this one:

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just wish I could find more mags for mine....or even more stripper clips!    

...you do know that the mags aren't designed to be used as we use a detachable mag in an AR, right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I have one of those, great rifle

US made for the Lend Lease, correct?
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Because this thread needs more pics.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have one of those, great rifle

US made for the Lend Lease, correct?

No, OP's rifle was made by ROF-Maltby in England.  The Savage-produced No. 4s were made here for Lend-Lease.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, I hate you.

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Makes you wonder how it got those dings, and whether or not its user had to do push-ups because of it.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Guys I think once I clean the rifle I'll do a separate thread on how I shot it.   I'll do step by step, could be a good instructional thread.  

besides, I want to take more pics, I'll have to see how good a shot I can get down the bore with the macro lens
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you, I hate you.

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Want your head to explode? In my safe:

(I have to take a better photo at some point)

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, I hate you.

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Want your head to explode? In my safe:

(I have to take a better photo at some point)

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DriftPunch/media/Mk31910.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/Mk31910.jpg</a>

Nice Ross
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Most of the chargers I've seen have been the last generation made, and THEY SUCK.  The finish is a dull parkerizing.  It's rough and the rounds hang up in them badly without some buffing and bending.  You can make 'em work, but it's a pain in the ass.  There are markings on them indicating their relation in a series, but I can't remember which Mk. were the good ones and which the bad.  What I can say definitely is that the crappy ones have that parked finish and have a hole pattern down the side like this:

http://www.northridgeinc.com/productImages/resizedItemImages/303_STRIPPER_CLIPS_001.JPG

The ones I like are blued steel and older.  They're slick, they're springy, the rounds just glide right out of them.  Their holes look like this one:

http://www.valmontfirearms.co.uk/ESW/Images/MIS-093-SC-Lee-Enfield%5B1%5D.jpg

I have had some success with tumbling the stickier clips to smooth them out.
I'd like to get some chromed to be my "racing clips" for 3-gun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a 1944 Longbranch No.4 MK1. It was given to me by a costomer.I don't know anything about these things.
It looks like the one on this thread. Haven't looked it in years, till now
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top