Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2002 6:25:24 AM EDT
[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4508576[/url]
I can buy an M16 for that kind of money!
[whacko]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The special receiver has the optics rail like you see in the gunbroker ad. That is the going price for a special receiver or an A2 aug. Most of the Augs are the A1 and have a fixed 1.5x optics that you are stuck with. The reason for the high price is more of rarity than dollar for dollar value. I agree its a lot for a gun, most people buying them are either filthy rich or serious aug collectors. I have an A1 aug and I love it. I would like to have a special receiver or A2 aug but could never see myself spending that much for one.

A side note - the Post ban USR's have the A2 config with the option of sight rail. If the AW ban ever sunsets throw all the preban goodies on your USR and youve got an A2 aug!  
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4508576[/url]
I can buy an M16 for that kind of money!
[whacko]
View Quote

Ya but the M16's not bio-degradable.  This rifle is kinda PC.  No deadly pistol grip.  Maybe he'll sell it to a tree hugger.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup!
At the prices most people see the semi-auto Steyr Augs at, you are better off going for an M16 or comparable NFA.

With a registered reciever factory M16, you have

#1 Arguably, a better weapon in an M16 (modular, tons of gizmos to attach, tons of parts available, cheap mags)
#2 Better collectors value in having an NFA weapon.

It must be dissapointing to those of on the board who may live in a state that does not allow its citizens to own full auto!
In that case.....move to TEXAS, we need more "good guys" here!  Full auto is FUUUUUN!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You could also buy 5,900 Lorcins.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, and if you had 5,900 Lorcins with the triggers all connected together, you could fire 31 rounds.  That's a definite firepower advantage.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay....SteyrAUG is back! Thank God..this place was getting boring![:D]

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the story on the "Special Receivers."

First very few were brought in before the ban.

Second, unlike the earlier A1s, they accept certain "parts."

This makes them worth $5,900 or more to certain collectors. It's all about rarity and market.

When AUGs first came in they sold for around $600.00. I don't remember what the A2s went for. At the same time ARs were about $300.00 and HKs were about $400.00. So that is what they are WORTH.

A Sig550 can go for 9,000, not because it is twice the gun the AUG is but because half as many were imported.

All preban prices are artificial and created by legislation.

I have a MP5 worth about 9k. A brand new MP5 costs a little over $1,000 to a LE agency. Mine costs 9 times as much because of BS legislation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, I guess I'm a sucker, since 2 years ago I passed on a special receiver AUG in blk funiture with a 16" bbl because I thought $3600 was a rip off...  Went with an HK93 instead.

I didn't know much about AUG variants back then, and I still don't understand what the big deal is with blk AUGs, 16" AUGs, etc. with matching numbers.

I guess a gun is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
REAL Black 16" AUGs were police models and also accept certain "parts" without modifications.

But beware, it is really easy to drop Black stocks and a 16" barrel in a Green AUG.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top