Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 6:45:31 AM EDT
Unlike in New York City, this store owner is not going to get prosecuted for possessing an "illegal handgun":

[url]http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/1933478[/url]

[b]2 suspects shot dead in robbery[/b]
Store's owner `feared for his life'; drew gun after threatened
By MIKE GLENN
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

A southwest Houston grocery store owner shot and killed two men Saturday night while they were allegedly robbing his business, police said.

Khaled Farah Yousef, 31, opened fire on the two men about 8:15 p.m. during the holdup at the Frutilandia #2 store at 7235 Hillcroft. Police said one of the men was killed inside the business while another made it outside, where he died. A third man, who apparently was unarmed, fled and was later taken into custody near the grocery.

Yousef was working behind the counter when the three men entered the store. He became suspicious, detectives said, when they split up and began looking through the business -- as if to see if other customers or employees were there. The owner also noticed that one of the suspects was wearing a heavy winter coat, although the temperature was in the 90s at the time, police said.

Minutes later, all three men approached the counter where the cash register was. One of them pulled out a pack of gum and asked Yousef the price.

Yousef said the gum was 25 cents but later told detectives he didn't open the cash register because he thought the men wanted to see how much money was in the till.

The man who brought the gum to the counter pulled out a pistol, police said, and demanded the money from the register. A second man then drew a knife and began making "stabbing motions" at Yousef.

Yousef pulled out the money and handed it over to the man with the pistol. One of the other men attempted to take the cash register, but failed.

The men continued making threats, even after Yousef gave them the cash.

"When he gave the money, the suspects had the opportunity to leave and didn't leave," said Houston police homicide Detective Phil Yochum. "The store owner feared for his life."

That was when Yousef pulled a .45-caliber pistol from the waistband of his trousers and began firing. The man with the gun was shot in the chest and died inside the store while the knife-wielding man collapsed in the parking lot.

Yousef was not injured, and although the investigation was continuing Sunday, police said the shooting appeared to be justified. They said at least one person inside the store witnessed the robbery and confirmed Yousef's account.

Police on Sunday said the dead men weren't carrying any identification.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Some good points to make note of:

The store owner was alert and noticed suspicious behavior before it turned into violence.
He avoided opening the till until they actually threatened him.
Although he didn't have to, he tried to give them what they wanted.
When they still continued to threaten him, he opened fire on them and dropped two out of three (no word on how many shots he fired).
He made sure that the police knew that he [b]"feared for his life"[/b].

And now two scum bags are removed from the streets and can no longer continue to prey on other citizens.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
That kind of story needs to be all over the news... Show pictures of Dead Thief, so these kids can see what happens...
Hats off to Yousef
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#3]
"Muslim Terrorist Oppresses Minorities!"
Film at 11.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Good job Yousef!  [:D]

Two less scumbags for the rest of us to worry about.  Not bad shooting too...a toofer.  .45ACP huh?  Nice choice too.  No problems with return fire and no court issues...just the ME.

This is why America citizens must remain free to arm ourselves!

Hope the police write him up as a hero too...just to show the dummies in NYC, D.C. & Kalifornistan how it is done.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That kind of story needs to be all over the news... Show pictures of Dead Thief, so these kids can see what happens...
Hats off to Yousef
View Quote

I've been saying this for year's! Always gets me funny looks especially at church.
[rolleyes]

It should be mandatory that every (at least) local news agency give color pictures and commentary on this issue in prime time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Khaled, pat Yousef on the back [;D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn good situational awareness and good shooting - neutralized the most important threat first.

Hope the grand jury (if it even gets that far) "no bills" him.  That should help when the inevitable civil suits are filed by the relatives of these scumbags:

"Johnny was such a kind and gentle boy, that bad store owner just shot him over a pack of gum."
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#8]
It is great to hear reports of how honest, hard working Americans defend themselves against these ruthless, murdering scumbag criminals!

Heavy coat in Texas is a "Dead" giveaway!

He gave the sorry scums a chance to leave with the money...but they chose to continue to harass, and possibly to kill the owner!

Yousef...This Buds for you![beer]

Big(It'sGreatToLiveInTEXAS!)Dozer66
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Damn good situational awareness and good shooting - neutralized the most important threat first.

Hope the grand jury (if it even gets that far) "no bills" him.  That should help when the inevitable civil suits are filed by the relatives of these scumbags:

"Johnny was such a kind and gentle boy, that bad store owner just shot him over a pack of gum."
View Quote

Can he be sued in this situation in Texas?  They were commiting a felony against him.  And, I believe Texass law allows such force in defense against property (that's if they make the stretch:  his claim was defense of life.).  I'd think the crime would be a defense against a suit.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hope the grand jury (if it even gets that far) "no bills" him.
View Quote

In Texas, I believe that all homicides (including justifiable homicides) automatically go to a grand jury.  I have no doubt that they will return a "no bill".  Texas grand juries have returned "no bills" in far less clear cut self defense shootings.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully it won't happen like the Liquor Store in South Bend IN two years ago.  Same scenario with one dead perp.  After the funeral, one "friend" of the perp blew away the clerk in retaliation.  He still hasn't been caught!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Khaled, pat Yousef on the back [;D]
View Quote
LMAO!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#13]
GO TEAM!!!

[pistol][pistol][pistol][pistol][pistol]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#14]
You mean Diane Feinstein is wrong? Arab-Americans only buy guns to commit acts of terroism like killing innocent gum shoppers right?
Having "drawn down" on 3 bad guys and made good, he's officially a dyed in the wool Texan now right?
"Yes Agent Smith, that is Khalid over there. The one with the long horns on the front of his prayer rug."
Hope this won't stand in the way of him getting a legit CCW.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You mean Diane Feinstein is wrong? Arab-Americans only buy guns to commit acts of terroism like killing innocent gum shoppers right?
Having "drawn down" on 3 bad guys and made good, he's officially a dyed in the wool Texan now right?
"Yes Agent Smith, that is Khalid over there. The one with the long horns on the front of his prayer rug."
Hope this won't stand in the way of him getting a legit CCW.
View Quote

[LOL]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can he be sued in this situation in Texas?  They were commiting a felony against him.  And, I believe Texass law allows such force in defense against property (that's if they make the stretch:  his claim was defense of life.).  I'd think the crime would be a defense against a suit.  
View Quote

Absolvement of a crime in criminal court does not guarantee the absolvement of liability in a civil trial.  OJ was judged not guilty in the criminal trial, but liable in the civil trial in the death of his ex-wife and her lover.

So, while this may have been a justifiable homicide, it doesn't mean the scumbags' families won't have some ambulance chaser talk them into a civil suit against the guy who "murdered their babies."

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Yes, he can be sued and the commission of the crime will certainly be a defense to the lawsuit.  However, the fact that he shot the two suspects during the commission of a felony is not a bar to a civil suit. Judge and jury will properly decide the merits of the case if it is brought.

For purposes of this response I assumed the "Texass" was a typo. [:D]

bd
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Muslim Terrorist Oppresses Minorities!"
Film at 11.
View Quote

[img]http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/shoot7.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:04:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, he can be sued and the commission of the crime will certainly be a defense to the lawsuit.  However, the fact that he shot the two suspects during the commission of a felony is not a bar to a civil suit. Judge and jury will properly decide the merits of the case if it is brought.

For purposes of this response I assumed the "Texass" was a typo. [:D]

bd
View Quote

Yes, it was indeed a typo:  I'm a lousy typist, but no excuse, I should use the spell check or just proof more carefully.  Actually, one of the reasons I asked is my wife and I are  considering a move to Texas, and such aspects of the law are of interest.

I'd expect a suit in states like CA or NJ, but it surprises me in TX.  Though, one would expect judges and juries would be more realistic in TX than in the others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top