Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2001 5:23:31 PM EDT
In the September issue of GunWorld magazine, Massad Ayoob tested a 16.5 inch bbled Ruger rifle against a 20 inch version.  The shorter bbl averaged 80fps higher than the 20 inch version.  
  Ayoob explains this phenomena by pointing out that many new .223's are loaded with fast burning powders that are designed for shorter bbled rifles.  With this kind of ammunition, the longer bbl only serves to create drag on the bullet, hence the lower velocity.  I thought this was very interesting, as I have always figured that a longer bbl equals more velocity.  What a shocker!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It could be true, given a faster burning powder.  Reloading could tailor the load to the bbl with the choice of powder.  A slower burning powder would do better in a longer bbl.  

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure the optimum load for a particular bbl would be one that gets little to no flash.  I would figure that a flash comes from unburned powder burning outside the bbl, and if you have that, you're using more powder than you need.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I get a big flamethrower flash out of my 16" bbl with S&B ammo, I'll bet it was designed for a 30" bbl. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If I hold a Bic lighter to my butt after eating Taco Bell, my butt is a flame thrower.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
And so, Dear Reader, the technical quality of the thread was all downhill from that point...
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I was wondering just what kind of ammunition he was referring to, as I only have Q3131a for my 16" bbl AR
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My ammunition is four chalupas drenched in fire sauce.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Several months ago there was an article in Guns and Weapons for mil. and LE on M2 Corp. new 5.56 subguns and it mentioned new powders in R&D that were being developed specifically for SBR's.  I can look up the particular issue if you want.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
CIB, could you look it up for me, I've been looking for that for a while.

I beleive the powders mentioned in the article reached their pressure peak extremely quickly, which produced sufficient pressure for 3000fps out of a 7" or 7.5" baarel.  Significantly lower velocities would be acheived in longer barrels because pressure would begin to fall before the bullet exits the muzzle, which might serve to explain Mr. Ayoob's findings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top