Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 4:52:37 PM EDT
Stopped by a local gun shop today, and looked at a number of .17 HMR rifles.  Any suggestions?  I'm just looking for another fun rifle to take out prairie dogs with.  Looked at a Winchester lever action and several Remington bolt actions...saw a couple of semis on the shelf as well.

Basically, I'm looking for the best accuracy possible, as I like the long shots.  At the same time, I hate dragging a HBAR .22-250 all over the desert in the summer, so weight is also a concern.

Thanks for any info!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Basically, I'm looking for the best accuracy possible, as I like the long shots.  At the same time, I hate dragging a HBAR .22-250 all over the desert in the summer, so weight is also a concern.

Thanks for any info!

The Cooper 57M was my choice -- nicely crafted.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Savage 93 and had the trigger smoothed up.  It's a nail driver.  I mounted a Weaver 3X9 variable on it.  There are tips on rimfire central on how to fix the stiff trigger yourself.  Otherwise, it's inexpensive and very accurate.  I can vouch for the fact that it will kill prairie dogs at 300 yards.  I watched my little brother arrange several closed casket prairie dog funerals up to that range in South Dakota.  It's devastating under a 100 yards.

Oh yeah...it will blow a prairie rattler almost in half with one shot.  I've never seen a person shot with one, but my guess is it would be pretty messy.  Get one.  You'll love it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger makes one with a rotary magazine...9 round bolt action IIRC...might be fun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
To me the best place for info for rimfire and the .17 is http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

Sorry I do not know how to make the link hot.

I bought a marlin from wally world, put a Blk mount and a better scope than is on my deer rifle.  it is a sweet set up for less than 350.00  I bought an extra stock and did a camo job on it.

The nice thing is that you have the range of 200 yds and no recoil.

and that you can buy the ammo for less than 9 bucks a 50 lets you get in a good amount of practice.

Have fun.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll second the Cooper 57M. None better imho.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Marlin theyre better than some rifles 3 times their price.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
We ( a freind of mine) took a new Savage .17 hmr out to the range and after sighting it in were really impressed as the accuracy of it!We were getting about one inch groups for 5 rounds. The trigger was HORENDOUS though at what I estimated at 12 lbs.! (I didn't have my trigger scale with me)But I plan on doing a trigger job on said rifle. He(my friend) really liked it and bought a BSA Sweet 17 scope for it. It dialed in well and has the locking turret knob for when you get it sighted in then you can adjust or range buy simply turning the turret. The glass wasn't bad either. Pretty clear and sharp. Nice F.O.V. and the clicks were crisp and seamed to set well. My 2 cents.Take care.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
CZ 452
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Marlin 917 bull with a BSA Sweet 17 scope on Weaver medium rings.

The Marlin comes with the T900 trigger, a very nice upgrade for a rimfire rifle.  Regardless, my groups at 100 are within a quarter.  Haven't hit the 200 yard range yet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want the best........................Volquartsen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top