Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 6:36:18 AM EDT
Singer Sewing Machine Co. 1911 - Govt contract and only 500 were made.
http://www.usgunexchange.com/products.cfm?tbl=21&id=508

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I know of one that was Birchwood-Casey cold blued because the gunsmith refused to refinish it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know of one that was Birchwood-Casey cold blued because the gunsmith refused to refinish it.

Tell me the guy at least boiled it first.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  That is a lot of money for a pistol.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I like how they still tack on $25 shipping fee for a 100,000 gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.

Gunsmith I knew had a customer roll in with one asking it be refinished. He explained to the guy what the pistol was and why he shouldn't refinish it, even offered him any 1911 in the shop in trade if he wanted a shooter. Guy got irate and left, just wanted his uncle's old pistol refinished. Came back in a week later to proudly display his handy work, complete with sandpaper scratches and rounded corners.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No idea.

Gunsmith I knew had a customer roll in with one asking it be refinished. He explained to the guy what the pistol was and why he shouldn't refinish it, even offered him any 1911 in the shop in trade if he wanted a shooter. Guy got irate and left, just wanted his uncle's old pistol refinished. Came back in a week later to proudly display his handy work, complete with sandpaper scratches and rounded corners.

I hope his septum was deviated.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.

Lol what a mess.  The number of things on this planet done this way is amazing, and we only hear about a few of them.

Buddy of mine bought a pristine Mossberg US Property training rifle, wanted a guy to install some type of sight some of them came with.  Sent it to a 'gunsmith' since the sight needed fitting to the rifle.  instead of fitting the sight, he machined the rifle, and bbl, and scarred the hell out of everything in the process.  Rifle was ruined for the most part.  History goes away quickly at the hands of an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.

Poor pistol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#10]
That price is ridiculous.   I saw one for sale a few years back for 35k.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.

I hope his septum was deviated.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#12]
And they still want $25 for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#13]
One sold at Rock Island Auction last year for $166k.

Had some history to it. Went to N Africa with the Army Air Corps and the plane was shot down, etc.

Two more sold for 80 and 40 a few months ago. The one that went for 80 was # 800001.

Anywho, ya. Singers ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow.  That is a lot of money for a pistol.

Could see a 1911 being worth that much if it was used to shoot OBL in the face.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine found out his grandfather worked at singer durning the war, he was telling him about making those guns. Sure wish he had a couple of them stashed away some where.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In olive oil.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I know someone who took his 1911 slide and had it engraved with "Singer."  He later took it to a gunshop to have it refinished.  The guys are the gunshop recommended against refinishing, stating it would devalue his gun.  He nonchalantly brushed them off adding that he had several more at home.    What a joker the guy was.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That price is ridiculous.   I saw one for sale a few years back for 35k.  

Highest I have seen one sell for was arouind $62,500. IIRC it was made without a serial number or US Property markings. It was unfired and said to have been a retirement gift from Singer to an employee at the time. A document to this effect was included but without a serial number on the gun to compare who knows?(that, and it wouldn't be a hard paper to fake).
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Noooooooooooooooo!   When I was in the army back in the 80's,  I got the dubious honor of carrying the 60 ( I was the only one that could make it work).  I was also issued a .45.  I always thought it was cool that it said 'Singer Sewing Machine Co.'  on the slide.  Was older than hell - rattled if you shook it - and the sear was so worn you could get two or three shots off at once if you pulled the trigger just right.  Sadly, it went the way of the dodo bird when they shipped in the new 92 Berettas.  If only I'd known!  Prolly in someones collection now,  bought for 50 bucks in a disposal sale.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I think an amusing story is the one that was featured in field and stream

Turnbull did a resto job on one, it got posted on the net and within 20 minutes on 1911forum, was determined to be a fake.

the article was pulled and, but there is still this

http://www.fieldandstream.com/videos/fieldandstream/guns/2005/04/singer-1911-test-fire

makes me laugh
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In olive oil.

That gives it a golden brown finish.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Add To Cart "click"
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#23]

We ship after completion of required documents. Add $25.00 for handguns, $35.00, for long guns.There is a 7% Tax for NJ Buyers"

Ouch!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In olive oil.

That gives it a golden brown finish.

Smells nice, too. Not as good as sesame oil though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
 Prolly in someones collection now,  bought for 50 bucks in a disposal sale.

Sadly, it was crushed unless it ended up in a museum or it was stolen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top