Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/3/2005 1:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2005 7:50:06 AM EDT by ROUGH]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:52:48 PM EDT
I have an amstaff myself and I wouldn't hesitate to bring a pup into a house with cats. Bringing cats into a house with a full grown pb would be different. bring the cats and the pup to a nuetral location and see how it goes. There is a hge difference between playing and aggression so watch out. If everything checks out, you should be in the clear but I would never trust any dog alone with a cat, ever.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:05:22 PM EDT
my dog was NOT brought up around cats and will kill every cat he can get his jaws on, my friend's dog was brought up w/ a cat in the house and does just fine.
if your dog is not dumb, and most pit's are not, he/she will learn that the cat's are in the pack.

if left to instinct w/ no traning / exposure...cats are for killin' in the mind of most pit bulls.

im shur you know that the pit bull has been bread to fight animals for hundreds of years, and the ones who turned on a human were bred out of the breed a long time ago, it was never a good traight to bite humans, and was strongly frowned upon,
make shur the dog comes from good stock...
give em lots of love and discipline...you will be hard pressed to find a better friend

dogs need discipline..the key to a good dawg
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:22:56 PM EDT
More than likely the cats will rip open the dog's face before he can harm them. Cats have a way of putting dogs in their place, especially if they get to the dog while he's still a puppy. After that, things will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:57:34 PM EDT
The Late=s 2 PB's I have had lived in my parents house with 2 cats neither of them could care less. Like Turbo said expose them young & train them and you shuld have no problems
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:57:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2005 7:49:00 AM EDT by ROUGH]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:14:59 AM EDT
Now let's see some pics of your new friend

Sean
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:17:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2005 7:49:10 AM EDT by ROUGH]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:20:00 AM EDT
My Pit was not raised around cats, and she does fine with them. She pins them the the kitchen floor and licks the cat like it was a puppy. The kitty is seldom amused...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:22:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lu380:
More than likely the cats will rip open the dog's face before he can harm them. Cats have a way of putting dogs in their place, especially if they get to the dog while he's still a puppy. After that, things will be fine.

-1 Any other breed maybe, not Pit Bulls!!! The pb will just keep going back for more, more, more till
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:30:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:36:29 AM EDT by mistabud]

lol! your kidding right? my pitty got roughed up by cats when he was a youngster and that is the reason many a cat have died since that day. not to brag, but a cat has no chance against a anysort of bulldog.

anyhow, i have a pitbull and like someone said before he would love to kill every cat, but he was not brought up with one. about the kids, i would trust a pitbull with my kids over anybreed. best advice i can give you is to make sure your the alpha in the pack. that being said, i would never own another breed!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:38:32 AM EDT
www.game-dog.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:48:27 AM EDT
Nothing more dangerous than a well armed APBT taking a nap....

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:53:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:

tinypic.com/e96sso.jpg

I guess its safe to say he/shes not gun shy
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:53:13 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:55:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:

tinypic.com/e96sso.jpg

Nope. But last week I made the mistake of leaving a box of 9mm shells on the couch. Guess who ate 3 of them?

(hint:it wasn't me!)

She also snores like a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:00:33 AM EDT

tinypic.com/e96sso.jpg

Nope. But last week I made the mistake of leaving a box of 9mm shells on the couch. Guess who ate 3 of them?

So your dog eats bullets for breakfast?

damn!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:01:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 9:02:39 AM EDT by Cavu]
I have an American Bulldog. She was not raised around cats but really is indifferent to them. I agree with all who say that you probably don't have to worry about the puppy being aggressive with the cats. I also agree with the person who said that the cats will probably be the first to show aggression/defensiveness. My dog received a lacerated cornea from my Mothers cat because she (the dog, not the mom) decided to sniff it. Just be careful and protect your puppy.

Cavu
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:21:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

tinypic.com/e96sso.jpg

So your dog eats bullets for breakfast?

damn!

Bullets, portland cement, rocks.....pretty much anything that happens to be around

The good news is, shi isn't picky about her dogfood....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:36:05 AM EDT
The way I understand it Pit Bulls aren't naturally aggressive dogs. They simply have a bad stigma attached to them due to BS media hype. They can be as loving as you allow them to be. If you take them in, like almost any domestic house pet, and love them like a member of the family, they'll reciporicate.

If I'm wrong and the dog eats your cat you're still ahead.

The only dog I can think of that is naturally aggressive is a frickin Chow Chow. I've never seen a friendly chow.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:39:53 AM EDT
I brought home a puppie when my pit was two, she just wanted to play with it. Albeit, the puppy was soaked with dog slobber, but after a day or so they were inseparable.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:46:18 AM EDT
get the dog, make your wife happy.
they're good dogs
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:25:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2005 7:49:38 AM EDT by ROUGH]
Top Top