Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2005 12:19:24 AM EDT
OK, here's the scenario. You are at work when the zombie hord gets set loose. Could you tough it out or are you FUBAR.

I work at a decomissioned nuke plant.
1. Guards have weapons. Lots of weapons and ammo so I am OK there.
2. Lots of heavy equipment around. (Semi trucks, cranes with wrecking balls, man lifts, front end loaders and lots of other stuff. Easy to get around the site if needed.
3. Backup generator for power.
4. Well water.
5. Not alot of food though. But lots' of deer that aren't too afraid of people!

I figure we could hold out for weeks or months inside a secured building against almost any number of zombies.

How about YOU???
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd just bury myself inside a personal bomb shelter with only one enterance.  It would be very very deep in the earth and the zombies would never find me.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I've the better part of the US military's combat arms within walking distance of my location.  No issues.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
fun
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone remember a web page from about a year back all about one mans attempt to survive the collapse of society when the dead began to walk once more. I

It was written as a survivalist Blog and was getting pretty good, when the author stopped updating it.

His explination was he was about to get a book deal out of it and so he had to stop the recounting of his "adventure" among the living dead

I did a search but couldn't find a Link. Anyone know if the page even still exists?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone can get to a car or truck and go.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Im in a secure concrete room with a nice 25kw generator, radiation detection equipment, video suvelliance, radios, and other goodies. I'll be good till i run out of food.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The author of the WebBlog which you speak did write a book about it and he used to or possibly still is, a

member of this forum. PM JBowles about it. I borrowed the book from him, since we are good

friends and live within the city (or used to), and it was a good read. The author is an Air Force officer and

provides insight on survivalism that most normal citizens wouldn't even consider. I believe his pen

name was "RaptorMan.

- Kool-Aid (LCA tsxx37)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, if at work....I'm driving around in company mini-van....... so I drive home with reckless abandon driving through zombies racking up points along the way.

Get home, have weapons and supplies.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll go looking for some Heineken.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
i work at a gun shop so thats fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:38:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Does anyone remember a web page from about a year back all about one mans attempt to survive the collapse of society when the dead began to walk once more. I

It was written as a survivalist Blog and was getting pretty good, when the author stopped updating it.

His explination was he was about to get a book deal out of it and so he had to stop the recounting of his "adventure" among the living dead

I did a search but couldn't find a Link. Anyone know if the page even still exists?

Raptorman's Journal

and a live journal along the same vein by a fellow who goes by the handle of Alphadog

Alphadog's site
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#12]
screwed. I work on campus and I'm surrounded by sheeple.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:50:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I actually work at a power plant, nothing here if interest except the generator.  I'd hop in my trusty ride and cruise home, call the buds and then we would go on a rampage of burning and killing the likes of which we have never seen.

There is a Wal-Mart down the road a ways, we have an endless supply of high fat, high calorie food with zero nutritional value to sustain us for a while, they have a stock of cheap poor quality ammo and tacky clothes to disguise us.  The only thing we really need is a flamethrower.

The cleaning power of fire and a haze of gun smoke,,,,,it would be the perfect holiday season.  Since zombies don't drink, maybe a stop at the liquor store for a few bottles of Dom to ring in the New Year.  Best of all, when zombies take over, everything will be FREE for the taking.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Actually most of the stations on my project (USAF Long Range Radar) are perfect for self sufficiency - water plant, sewage plant, power, bulk fuel, food stocks, and remote enough you can't drive or walk to most.  We would only have to have a plane and we would be perfectly holed up.  As far as defense, many have bear guns and more, there are even a few fifties.  Lots of wildlife, villages with planes if you hike far enough through the bush, heavy equipment, satellite and HF radio as well as starband and dishnet.  Very secure facilities.  I considered spending Y2K out at a site but I didn't want to recall forever where I was on that auspicious day stuck out at some remote site at work - I went home to the family.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:11:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, but what if the zombies are actually ............. YOUR CO-WORKERS AT THE NUKE PLANT!

Best keep your AR under your desk, just in case.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:55:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I am armed at work, so its not an issue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an AK and two hand guns in my office. I have 1,000+ rounds in the trunk of my car and another handgun in my car. Plan: kill zombies, make my way to the car, get in and bug out!! If I can't leave, then I'll grab the ammo and handgun, and run like hell back into the building - killing zombies on the to and from the car!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:01:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm self-employed & work alone. It be hard to defend my building against evil zombies but at least I would have a rifle or shot gun around. Lots of bottled H2O because the well here isn't potable. Penty of food for about a week. If need be I could shot critters to eat out of the back window.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:12:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll be OK.

After the zombies start cracking open the heads of my coworkers and find that there are no brains inside, they'll get bored and move on.

I just have to fit in by saying things like
Think outside of the box.
We're going to form a bullet train to reduce expenses.
There is no "I" in "team."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm Zombie chow...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I work at Cabelas so ammo, guns and food would be ok for a while.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Zombies cannot tolerate the sound of Fax machines - the high-pitched squeal of two G3 machines negotiating electronic intercourse drives them stark raving and they will flee in abject terror.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:52:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I work on a very secure 660 acre facility.....and I work with explosives.....TONS  of them....and I am one of the folks with access to the mags and keys.  I'm pretty good to go.  The gang and I could rig ourselves some decent claymore type devices in pretty short order.....

The hardest part would be the last ten miles of the twenty mile trip home.....but Gravity Tester is only a short hop from where I work so I could always pic up something to help me get home.  Once I get home....good to go.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:56:04 AM EDT
[#25]
At work and surrounded by zombies? That describes my last 20 years of employment!

I should get campaign ribbons for working here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I live a couple hundred yards from work. I can get back to my house where I'm stocked up. No sweat for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#27]
My office is 6 blocks from Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc, There's a fun shop right next door to Hodgdon. I'm not concerned.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I work at home ( stay at home Dad. ) so I have all my stuff here ready and waiting. If it happens when I'm out and about,I've ALWAYS got my 1911 with a couple of mags and depending on what day it is,I could have anything from more handguns to an AK to  an AR or a shotgun or two.
Anyway,my vehicle is a 4WD truck and my wifes is a 4wd SUV and she has stated before that she has no problems running over people, let alone zombies. I think we're ok.
My mission would be getting my 7 year old from school. LET'S ROLL!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I will still be here posting on ARFCOM on how bad the zombie situation is. I only have my Glock and 2 mags. I figure I will kill 25 and then let the Kaboom from the last round in my Glock take me out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
At work and surrounded by zombies? That describes my last 20 years of employment!

I should get campaign ribbons for working here.

Best Reply of the Day!!!!

I have 26 rounds of 9mm(H&K USP) and a new axe in my truck, 50 feet away. The only food I have is the pop machine and gift baskets. I could easily hide out up on the roof, but a cold propsistion in Colorado in December.

I think I would try to get home.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
I'm Zombie chow...

+1

How screwed am I? Let me count the ways:
1) I work in an office that would quickly be zombified.  
2) We're in KY so I'm sure a couple people are armed (despite it being grounds for immediate termination).  But they wouldn't have the ammo needed to delay their doom for more an a couple minutes. At best the shooting would draw zombies to them long enough for me to reach the stairwell.
3) Home is 25 miles away and I'd have to cross two rivers to get there. One fender bender will cause a major traffic jam. Zombie panic would make the roads impassible.
4) I know I should have a trunk gun but I don't.
5) My cube is on the top (5th) floor of the building.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#32]
This need to be posted over in SF,you all are welcome that don't frequent there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Are these fast zombies or slow zombies?
Is this a local outbreak or is it the end of civilization?
Will a hot chick take refuge at my office?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I think I can manage the 4 blocks back to my house.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#35]
To put it simply I would be screwed. I only live 12 miles from work but depending on the class of outbreak those 12 miles might as well be a 100.

First the interstate would be impassable and the secondary roads wouldn't be much better. On top of that if I was forced to take the secondary route I’d have to travel through a couple of very bad neighborhoods. I can only imagine that those would be the first and hardest hit.

If the outbreak occurred on one of the days that I commuted to work on my bike I might have half a chance. I’d wait until nightfall to try and get back home. That way the visibility would provide me with cover and I’d be traveling in complete silence. I’d also be able to maneuver threw the tangle mess of cars abandoned on the roads. I could also avoid hot spots and change directions a lot easier than I could in a car.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I would have to secure myself in our hardened data center, live off the sheeple trapped there w/ me, and try to improvise weapons from electronic components.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but what if the zombies are actually ............. YOUR CO-WORKERS AT THE NUKE PLANT!

Best keep your AR under your desk, just in case.

Unless he's part of the security department, he's SOL with keeping an AR under the desk. Once the outbreak started, I'm sure he'd be armed up in pretty short order.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Drive like H E Double Hockeysticks to the homestead and defend it. Bonus points if it happens on a day my wife works from home so I don't have to go get her and then head home.

FWIW the roadways would be totally clogged. I don't even know how I'd get home if zombies walked the earth. I guess that's what makes the movies such fun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I work on Eglin AF Base and luckily I have friends over at the SP shack and the 728th Air Control Squadron.  They are equiped like a light infantry unit with M16's, M249's, M240's, Mk19's and M2's.  Plus a whole parking lot full of Duece's, 5-tons, Hummers and a few odds and ends vehicles.  Enough to  build up into a large Mad Max truck fleet, as we have our own machinist and sheet metal shop.  Oh yeah and 54 F-15's on our side and an apron of F-16's and A-10's, and E-model F-15's.  Plus MOAB's, Eglin is where they test them and a small fleet of C-130's the drop them with.    Across the street is the 33d Wing deployment center with a warehouse full of gear besides everything in warehouses on  the mainside of Eglin.  Just down perimeter road is the EOD Building with all their toys. I think that I would be better off at work than anywhere else besides Hurbert Field, where the AFSOC units are.  All I need is a few essentials from home which is 10 minutes away.  A zombie outbreak would take at lease a day to get full blown and I would have all I needed in a few minutes, and a huge hanger complex to hole up in.

I think with the amount of hardware we have in the area and a already defended trio of Bases in the local area we would pretty much hold our own on the Zombies.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
OK, here's the scenario. You are at work when the zombie hord gets set loose. Could you tough it out or are you FUBAR.

2. Lots of heavy equipment around. (Semi trucks, cranes with wrecking balls, man lifts, front end loaders and lots of other stuff. Easy to get around the site if needed.
4. Well water.

I figure we could hold out for weeks or months inside a secured building against almost any number of zombies.

How about YOU???

I do security at an active nuke plant, I'll be fine!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like 'Aliens', and did they make it out OK?  Nooo.  

Quoted:

4. Well water.

How about YOU???

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I work in a secure facility so no zombies inside. However, my house is only 2.5 miles away and the base armory is on the way in case things get bad. Once I get home...

Wait, come to think of it I am staying at work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#43]
My truck is outside the parts department doors and I either have some sort of weapon in it. And home is  2 blocks away from work.

Ive been to lazy to walk to work with the cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Gas up the SR-71B and fly the hell out of there, no friggen joke...

Actually the engines are in a seperate facility and I doubt we have any of the special jp on hand, so I guess I'd probably be flying out in the Corsair or P-47.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
i work at a gun shop so thats fantastic.

Sam here,bring 'em on
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Im LEO on an Army base...HAHA ...can you say lots of weapons, food, water and killing Zombies with a mk19 might be fun....and I know where the keys(in the headquarters office) for the AHA are
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Autoshop.

What am I gonna do? Throw a wrench at the zombie?

"Take this, and THAT! *throws carbuerator at zombie*
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I have one of the biggest NSA sites across the street from me,  a 4' walk to my truck 4x4 where I have enough ammo to last for a little while, and a 1.5 mile drive home to the zombie shelter.  Then if it is passable enough, to the mountain cabin.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#49]
No problems here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll be fine.

My job is to be a raging party animal, oops, i meant college senior.

Since joining ARFCOM i've bought two ammo cans worth of ammo and a M4gery. Have a CZ-75 and a 2nd m4gery on the way. My buddy, who's also the fraternity president is a wannabe redneck and has 20 or so "cowboy" weapons... the most modern thing he has is he dad's WW2 Colt. 45 "rattlebox"

To my really good friends, i like to mention that i'd save them if the zombie apocalypse did come. However, if it really happen, i'd be like "screw you beoch! I don't look like a crazy gun nut NOW do i?"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top