Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 5:28:45 PM EDT
What are your thoughts?

Does the statue still represent what it meant so long ago?

Is it just a meaningless gift given to us from a country that you'd rather see fall into the ocean?

should we ship it back and get our own statue?

We have enough immigrants...start sending them to france!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It was a noble and meaningful gift from a grateful and just people that died out generations ago.  It is a symbol of national pride and as American as the bald eagle and baseball.  It's a beautiful thing and should be respected.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It was a noble and meaningful gift from a grateful and just people that died out generations ago.  It is a symbol of national pride and as American as the bald eagle and baseball.  It's a beautiful thing and should be respected.

+1
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm really on the fence..

I've never seen it in person...maybe that would change my mind...but for right now...we have to many immigrants.  We have problems of our own..

BTW..my family immigrated from Ireland during the famine...so I'd be peelin' potatoes in the great country of Erin if it wasnt for the statue of liberty.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
A symbol of Liberty and Freedom.  Keep it forerever.

Long Live Liberty!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do we get to keep the copper?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
We could send it back, strapped to a Trident missle...fully armed of course..
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Melt it down and use it to make pennies.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+3

A big +4
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Keeping it in place, we can use it when we argue with the nouveau Frenchies when we ask them what the fuck happened to their balls, since it seemed like their ancestors had them. Maybe Lady Liberty's a drag queen and she's got France's collective balls under that robe.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Keeping it in place, we can use it when we argue with the nouveau Frenchies when we ask them what the fuck happened to their balls, since it seemed like their ancestors had them. Maybe Lady Liberty's a drag queen and she's got France's collective balls under that robe.

Dude, where's the respect?!?!?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+3

A big +4

+5
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What are your thoughts?

Does the statue still represent what it meant so long ago?

Is it just a meaningless gift given to us from a country that you'd rather see fall into the ocean?

We have enough immigrants...start sending them to france!

It is a symbol of our nation, who we represent, and how open we are as a country to people who are from other nations, creeds, colors, backgrounds, ect, and a reminder to our countrymen to be open to people from other nations, creeds, colors, backgrounds.  

Just because it is from a country that we now disdain in our current time is no reason to condemn it now.  

It's just like England, we hated them 200 years ago but I don't see anyone condemning them now do we?!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep it! BUT if it were'nt in the planet of the apes movie I'd say blow her up
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]
We can remember what the Statue of Liberty stands for............

.....even though the French cannot!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I think it needs to be kept....

But we have to many damn imgrants legal and Non in this country.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Lets forget current French politics.   They sent troops to help us during the American Revolution.  

All my ancestors are from Europe.  Irish, Danish and Russian.  I'm third generation.  Most of my friends and their familys are second or third generation immirgrents.  The Statue of Liberty means a lot.  We are a Nation of immigrents.

Sorry if I offended our American Indian brothers.  But..................don't bring a bow and arrow to a gun fight.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1 and well said BlammO.  America is still the land of opportunity, but it should only be for those who come in legally!!!  We should defend our borders better. This is my major gripe with the Bush admin.

-YJ
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't fuck with the Statue...GOT IT!?!?!?!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Just because some of the French (including French leaders) can't honor the sacrifices Americans have made for them does not mean that we cannot or should not honor their aid and assistace in our time or need and in the formation of our country.  They directly helped us form the great nation that we have become and in the same sense that we later protected them from facism and nazism, deserve our wholeharted thanks.

because there are frogs out there who despise us, doesnt mean that we should stoop to their level (the level of the lillk-livered coward) and give the statue back.  it represents the identity that the president taked about tonight, a country led by God with freedom for all.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My mom & dad are immigrants, and even thought they landed in S.F. Kali-fornia, it means alot to me personally.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Means nothing to me but if a terrorist attacked it I would be pissed.  It is ours to do with as we wish and no outsiders better screw with it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive been to the  top of it .I still dont like france,and it is an idol in the land that God gave to us. that being said , if anyone else took it down for us I would be pissed
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, where's the respect?!?!?

Hey, the French made the statue. and I love that it is a symbol of America. I don't need to show respect to the French any more than they need to show us. Would it have mattered if I'd said that maybe their balls were what's burning in the torch? France needs to take a crash course in "how not to take shit from other countries." And I'd be happy to teach it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:35:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+3

A big +4

+5

+6
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Keep the statue, remove the plaque untill we need "huddled masses" again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I rode past the State of Liberty on 21 SEP 2001 on an NYPD Harbor Patrol boat.  We had been at the Pile of the WTC with our cadaver dogs searching for remains.  It was about 9 pm and everything was under tight security and we cruised right by in our NYPD boat and the Statue was all lit up and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my entire life.

The amount of Patriotism and pride I felt in my Country was beyond description.

We should keep it.  It has special memories for me.  If the poll says we should get rid of it, move it to my back yard.

uxb
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Back to france.

eta - at least make them pay for repairs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top