Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:18:24 PM EDT
Well, maybe not but it could be...this guy's tv sent out an international signal for distress... guy must have been watching "friends" on it

Link to Story

EUGENE, Oregon (Reuters) -- TV hardly gets much better than this.

An Oregon man discovered earlier this month that his year-old Toshiba Corporation flat-screen TV was emitting an international distress signal picked up by a satellite, leading a search and rescue operation to his apartment in Corvallis, Oregon, 70 miles south of Portland.

The signal from Chris van Rossmann's TV was routed by satellite to the Air Force Rescue Center at Langley Air Base in Virginia.

On October 2, the 20 year-old college student was visited at his apartment in the small university town by a contingent of local police, civil air patrol and search and rescue personnel.

"They'd never seen signal come that strong from a home appliance," said van Rossmann. "They were quite surprised. I think we all were."

Authorities had expected to find a boat or small plane with a malfunctioning transponder, the usual culprit in such incidents, emitting the 121.5 MHz frequency of the distress signal used internationally.

Van Rossmann said he was told to keep his TV off to avoid paying a $10,000 fine for "willingly broadcasting a false distress signal."

Toshiba contacted Rossmann and offered to provide him with a replacement set for free, he said.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Kinda crazy
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Strange.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah thats wierd.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#4]
am I the only tinfoiler left?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Pi$$-poor shielding!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#6]
One more reason he should of bought a Sony.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
am I the only tinfoiler left?

gotchyerback. out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Bullshit! Not possible.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bullshit! Not possible.

I'd like to see you disprove it.  It's not enough to just fly the BS Flag.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#10]
It seems improbable to me as well but then again, it was on the internet so it must be true!!
Truth is often stranger than fiction

I wonder how it came to be 1) That the Tv emitted that signal and 2) That it was received by a satellite

Is this a signal ordinarily emitted from a TV?
What does that say about the strength of signals emitted from consumer electronics?
Could you modify your Tv into a two-way transmitter?
Could your Tv be eavesdropping on you and covertly sending communiques to your favorite law enforcement agency?
On a more practical note, could your TV be sending signals about what programs you are watching in order to target you for advertisements?
Obviously, this guy didn't cover everything in foil and hang metal hangers from the ceiling like he should have and it nearly got him a 10k fine
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Darn CAP'ers. lol...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#12]
DUPE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top