Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 8:06:42 AM EDT
My girlfriend was promoted TWO weeks ago.  This new position is one step below store manager and she was on track to be the youngest store manager at her current rate of promotion.  Well, she just found out today that her new position is getting cut.  Her company will not let her have her old job back.  Instead, they have offered her a part-time job, 1/3 her current salary.  She also looses her health insurance because she will no longer be a full time employee.  If she doesn't take this part-time job, she has been told that she will not be eligible for unemployment.  

If she had not been such a motivated hardworking person, she would have kept her old job and not have to worry about getting laid off.  So much for being rewarded for hard work.  What a bunch of assholes.  You would think that they would have just not have filled the new position.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#1]
That shit is going on all over the place.  Sorry to hear about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#2]
dude that sucks ass... I've heard of it happening....  it makes you wonder if they promoted her to get her backed into a corner.  

I'd tell her to take the job for now, and get busy looking for a good job elsewhere.  Any company that treats her like that is not a company she should stay with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is she in retail?  Well retail is always hiring.  Time to go somewhere else quickly while she is still employed.

Yeah....she is pretty upset though I don't think she will have a problem finding a job.  It just sucks to be treated this way.  For the past 2 weeks she has been working 60hrs + a week trying to learn the ends and outs of the new job for nothing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It's called 'selective downsizing'!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Further proof that no good deed (in this case her hard work and determination) goes unpunished.  Sorry to hear about this.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#7]
that sucks.  i had a job a few years ago and was told everything was going well, etc.  then i hurt my back and was fired for some BS reason a few weeks later.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Companies are told by their parent companies to cut XX% of workers, X% of management.
They will promote some workers to "mamgement" status in order to be able to "cut" them. Thus saving their own jobs at the cost of people like your girlfriend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top