Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 2:16:48 PM EDT
Newspaper headlines.
Fans calling sports radio stations crying, wanting "support."
Suicide watch on George.

Give me a break. Atleast we in Red Sox Nation can cope with losing better, although it's nice not to have to this year!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This Yankees fan says hats off to the Red Sox for an amazing and inspiring comeback!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, Johnny Damon must be walking on air.  He'll be a god in Boston for the rest of his life.  Hit for six runs in an incredibly crucial game.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Man, Johnny Damon must be walking on air.  He'll be a god in Boston for the rest of his life.  Hit for six runs in an incredibly crucial game.

Well, he looks like Jesus, so being a god should come naturally to him...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Atleast we in Red Sox Nation can cope with losing better, although it's nice not to have to this year!

Right....

There were riots in Boston last night. 16 arrested, a cop with a broken nose from something thrown at him.

THIS is how you guys celebrate VICTORY?

Oh, and +1 to what IamtheNRA said. A SPLENDID performance!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Actually, I celebrated by going to sleep so I could go to work this morning.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You have to respect the Sox fans -  they're friggin' loyal. Yankees fans are a bunch of whining little girls. Most of them anyway. Good for the Bosox.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Any ignorant asshole who riots after a sports game needs to be culled from the gene-pool.

Stupidest damn thing I ever heard of.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This Yankees fan says hats off to the Red Sox for an amazing and inspiring comeback!

Ditto.
But, the Red Sox still suck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any ignorant asshole who riots after a sports game needs to be culled from the gene-pool.

Stupidest damn thing I ever heard of.

+1

I generally find it difficult to give a shit one way or the other, but it'd be nice to see a World Series with the Cardinals this year.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I celebrated by going to sleep so I could go to work this morning.

...and a GOOD amn you are!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You have to respect the Sox fans -  they're friggin' loyal. Yankees fans are a bunch of whining little girls. Most of them anyway. Good for the Bosox.

You obviously weren't paying attention in 1978, 1986, and 2003!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Please do, as it was meant as such, mis-spelling notwithstanding!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Atleast we in Red Sox Nation can cope with losing better, although it's nice not to have to this year!

Right....

There were riots in Boston last night. 16 arrested, a cop with a broken nose from something thrown at him.

Actually there was one death- a police officer using a "Non Lethal" weapon against a crowd, and
it hit a girl in the head.   The mayor wouldn't say more than that.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right....

A female college student was also killed.

Link...

"Emerson College student dies after postgame melee

By Denise Lavoie, AP Legal Affairs Writer  |  October 21, 2004

BOSTON -- A 21-year-old college student died Thursday of a head injury after a clash between police and a crowd of Red Sox fans who poured into the streets outside Fenway Park to celebrate their team's victory over the New York Yankees.

Victoria Snelgrove, a journalism major at Emerson College in Boston, was shot in the eye by a projectile fired by an officer on crowd-control duty. The nature of the projectile was not immediately identified but officers were armed with weapons meant to be non-lethal.

During a news conference carried live on local television stations, Boston Police Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole apologized to Snelgrove's family and said the agency "accepts full responsibility for the death of Victoria Snelgrove.

"The Boston Police Department is devastated by this tragedy. This terrible event should never have happened," O'Toole said.

Snelgrove, of East Bridgewater, was among 16 people hurt in Boston's Kenmore Square neighborhood early Thursday morning, after thousands of fans spilled out onto the streets to celebrate the Sox winning the American League pennant. She died at Brigham and Women's Hospital later in the day.

"It appears from evidence that 'Tori' was killed when she was hit in the eye ... as officers tried to control mobs outside the ballpark," O'Toole said.

O'Toole and Mayor Thomas Menino pledged to fully investigate the incident.

Snelgrove's father, Rick Snelgrove, expressed outrage and said his daughter did nothing wrong. Standing outside the family home, he held up a photograph of his smiling daughter.

"What happened to her should not happen to any American citizen going to any type of game, no matter what," he said. "She loved the Red Sox. She went in to celebrate with friends. She was a bystander. She was out of the way, but she still got shot. Awful things happen to good people. My daughter was an exceptional person."

Keep in mind that Fenway Park is located in a area (Kenmore Square, the Fenway), heavily populated by college students so the "fans" creating the problems don't necessarily represent the fans who are residents here.

The same problem occurred last year when the Pats won the Super Bowl and the students in the Fenway area created all sorts of havoc (even though Sullivan stadium is about 30 miles away from Boston). They overturned cars and fought with the police, etc. A kid was killed in that show of "fan" enthusiasm also.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone who participated in those riots should have had a bean-bag round to the nuts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Everyone who participated in those riots should have had a bean-bag round to the nuts.

The BPD has all sorts of neat goodies left over from the DNC that they don't even know what to do with it all (courtesy of the Feds).
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh, wow. I hadn't heard about the girl!

What a way to ruin a comeback!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I hate the Red Sox, but have to say congrats. They have earned it. I could care less about Red Sox fans.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
-snip-
The nature of the projectile was not immediately identified but officers were armed with weapons meant to be non-lethal.
/-snip-

And THAT, RIGHT THERE, has already condemed the Boston PD to be viewed as guilty by the majority of people in Boston.

THe damn journalist couldn't even get the type of ammunition correct. There is no such thing as NON-LETHAL ammunition. It's LESS LETHAL.

Get hit in the eye with a BB and it can kill you, and a BB isn't expelled by an explosive charge.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#21]
It was nice to see Satan's Legion's get an ass whupping!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Newspaper headlines.
Fans calling sports radio stations crying, wanting "support."
Suicide watch on George.

Give me a break. Atleast we in Red Sox Nation can cope with losing better, although it's nice not to have to this year!

I did not hear any bitching or moaning here in the metro area at all! it was a great series,,many records set.it is not like the YANKEES will have to wait as long as your team to win another World Series,,,,,sounds like you have a short mans complex.....the New York Boston rivalry is born of close proximity and the fact that bean town is a small town compared to NYC..not their fault. we have much in common,,like brothers fighting,,it is just one bro is much bigger. NYC is mecca! A great City with a crime rate not even in the top 100 of metro areas in the US of A...FBI stats..
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

LITTLE GIRLS? get out of your trailer and come to NYC and say that....I'd love to video your experience.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]
The series was the best thing for baseball and the US in years!ands what with this profound disdain for NYC I believe it is born of ignorance and urban legends,,when I was in the Corps the Marines from the City garnered much respect,,,,it does not take a brain surgeon to be a grunt or woods man,,but the City boys sure did kick ass in a fight...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone who gets upset over a bunch of overpaid overgrown spoiled brats losing a goddamn game is pathetic beyond redemption.

Sports are fun to play and watch, but if you get so into it that it upsets you when the team you're rooting for loses then I say again, you're pathetic beyond redemption.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Anyone who gets upset over a bunch of overpaid overgrown spoiled brats losing a goddamn game is pathetic beyond redemption.

Sports are fun to play and watch, but if you get so into it that it upsets you when the team you're rooting for loses then I say again, you're pathetic beyond redemption.

It's the difference between being a fan and being a fanatic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and those that riot over a win/loss of a team should be lined up and shot. Degenerate social parasites.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yes, and those that riot over a win/loss of a team should be lined up and shot. Degenerate social parasites.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Regardless of the above problems, congratulations to the Sox.

I had hoped for a Houston/Boston series but that didn't happen.

I had to go to Boston for business a couple of years ago, and took the wife .
We had a wonderful time and met the most amazing bunch of friendly people. Can't wait to go back.

Go Sox!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alot of people will riot whenever they get a reason, cop shoots someone, power off, sports, just about anything
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top