Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:53:31 PM EDT
Do they have enough  power for  a passenger  on the highway?
How about  the shadow 1100?

I  am  going to buy a bike soon, and although  I  would  feel  more comfortable  getting  something in the 1300 range,  I  have  a couple  good  deals  on 1100s.

Me and the wife have a combined weight of probably 350.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Take one for a test spin. I'd recomend a Honda VTX1300. Used ones aren't expensive. Bigger is almost always better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
what exactly are you looking for in a bike?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Any jap bike at 1100+ CC's is PLENTY for the passenger  (and the rider too. )

A 1100 Shadow is a nice ride IMO. Not a racer but smooth and with plenty of power for 2 up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a vstar before I sold it, had no problems riding 2 up. Funny though, back in the 70's when I was married me and my husband rode 2 up all over the east on a yammie 500, we thought we really had something when we moved up to the 750. Now bikes are almost as big as cars.

My first one was a virago 750, even though it was lighter the 1100 was very easy to ride and manuver. Here are a couple pics of mine. You can see the roadhouse 2in1 pipes I had put on it in the one pic. Oh, be warned that in order to change the oil you must remove the pipes, up there by the filter, I put an oil filter relocation kit on mine so I could just spin a harley filter on and off, there was no taking those roadhouse pipes off everytime the oil needed changing. Kind of a pissy design. Also there are some starter issues with some of them. Some bikes had kickback that eventually tore up the starter. It was supposably fixed in the later models but I heard it was really just a beefed up starter and not really fixed. Oh well, every bike has some kind of nit picky design flaw. Here are my pics.

Here I am on it, it's not a good pic but it will give everyone something to make fun of.

And if ya don't like it TAKE THIS!!!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 04' VTX 1300 and it's a very smooth cruiser and has plenty of power for two people. It's not the most nimble bike for turning in sharp corners ( like taking the Ohio motorcycle test ) but on the rode is where it shines. If you lived in Ohio I'd make you a deal on a 04' with 950 miles and a three year warranty but you're not...end of shameless plug
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually,  we are also looking at a couple vtx 1800s.  We haven't seen a 1300 on the market.  The thing that I dont' like about the vtx is that the passenger comfort looks pretty lacking.  This bike is for me and my wife to have something to do that is cheap (aside from the cost of the bike).  So it will pretty much be ridden 2 up %70 of the time.  This is why I am worried about the power, but if you all say it isn't a problem then I won't worry.

Also,  If you had a choice between a newer shadow 1100 and a newer star 1100, which would you pick?

ETA: the bikes we are choosing from are all at www.powerbrokersinc.com
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do they have enough  power for  a passenger  on the highway?
How about  the shadow 1100?

Me and the wife have a combined weight of probably 350.

My combined weight with my, um, jacket, is close to 350, and my GS500 is enough power for me.  You should have more than enough.  But make sure you factor in any gear you're carrying too.  You'll probably exceed the maximum recommended load for the bike before you overload it to the point that the engine can't handle pulling it around.

Also, don't forget to check the Cars & Bikes Forum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#8]

I

I thought a pic of Lootie would look good with my bike.... sorry...

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I rode an 1100 Shadow for almost 10 years before I bought a VTX1300.
I ride solo and imo, the 1100 could hold its own at highway speeds but the 1300 does it much more effortlessly.
I'm totally sold on the 1300 and for me I see no need for more displacement (even though bigger is better...).

I say - if you can afford it go for the VTX1300.

Here's mine, I did change out the uncomfortable stock seat and made a few other changes as well...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#10]
AZ-Sky that is one sharp looking bike !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And if ya don't like it TAKE THIS!!!!

Oh really?

Then take this:

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#12]

She's resting now after a long day of squirrel gazing, food munching, and wiggling. Her power and energy is endless!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Actually,  we are also looking at a couple vtx 1800s.  We haven't seen a 1300 on the market.  The thing that I dont' like about the vtx is that the passenger comfort looks pretty lacking.  This bike is for me and my wife to have something to do that is cheap (aside from the cost of the bike).  So it will pretty much be ridden 2 up %70 of the time.  This is why I am worried about the power, but if you all say it isn't a problem then I won't worry.

Also,  If you had a choice between a newer shadow 1100 and a newer star 1100, which would you pick?

ETA: the bikes we are choosing from are all at www.powerbrokersinc.com

This should cure any sore butts on a VTX1800:

www.day-long.com/newbike_pages/hnda_VTX.html

BTW I own a 2001 Suzuki Intruder LC1500 of which I also recomend.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, here is what we bought.  I think that it will do us just fine fow then next few years.  We do need  to  buy some saddle bags and some passenger floorboards though.

yamaha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top