Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 1/3/2007 4:49:14 AM EST
100 respond for broken rectal thermometer
CARMEL, N.Y. (AP) - It was quite a New Year's Eve at the home of Richard Berger in Carmel - in Putnam County. Someone in the house broke a rectal thermometer and the family called 911 around 10:30 to report the small mercury spill.

Several dozen volunteers from the Carmel Fire Department responded to the house on Brookview Drive.

Fire Chief Darryl Johnson says mercury is a hazardous material that can cause stomach problems if inhaled.

Men wearing protective gear used wet sponges to clean up the puddle.

It was packaged and brought to the Carmel firehouse where the county health department will dispose of it today.

The Berger family was not hurt.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:51:02 AM EST
Dupe.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:51:10 AM EST
What a nanny state we have become. In elementary school we used to buy thermometers and break them for their mercury. Used it to shine pennies and other purposes. Loved how it beaded. Now this.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:51:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:52:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By kitwulfen:

http://jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=533039



I don't surf that website.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:52:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
broke a rectal thermometer and the family called 911

What are they? IDIOTS?

JHC, just pick it up by yourselves!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:52:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By alaman:
What a nanny state we have become. In elementary school we used to buy thermometers and break them for their mercury. Used it to shine pennies and other purposes. Loved how it beaded. Now this.
damn i did that shit too. Maybe that is where I went wrong
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:53:52 AM EST
Overtime?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:09:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2007 5:10:26 AM EST by 1IV]
They shut down a school her over a broken bangle bead with mercury in it that the kids walked on ....... Acted like it was mustard gas.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:17:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX:
Overtime?


Unlikely


Several dozen volunteers
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:36:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX:
Overtime?


Unlikely


Several dozen volunteers


they wanted to get the hell away from the family
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:39:59 AM EST
<Clean up crew>Hey guys, is spilled mercury supposed to be brown?</Clean up crew>

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:44:06 AM EST
Several years back, there were some kids here who found a bucket of mercury in an old warehouse and proceeded to DIP THEIR CIGARETTES INTO IT AND THEN SMOKE THEM. They were hospitalized with mercury poisoning, and something to do with bleeding lungs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:44:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By alaman:
What a nanny state we have become. In elementary school we used to buy thermometers and break them for their mercury. Used it to shine pennies and other purposes. Loved how it beaded. Now this.


No shit. I use to have a vial that I kept with mercury on the bottom, water in the middle and oil on top. It was the coolest thing ever when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:04:49 AM EST
Same thing happened here a couple of years ago. Family was FORCED out of their home for a few days.

I wrote a letter to the editor ridiculing the overreaction of officials, but of course it was not printed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:26:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
.... at the home of Richard Berger...Someone in the house broke a rectal thermometer and the family called 911 .......


Only Sheeple would call 911 for a broken thermometer!

Richard Berger is a pussy!
Top Top