Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 12:49:22 PM EDT
Why do some use an X to cross out Christ in Christmas. is it laziness or just plain ignorance? I can see atheist crossing out Christ because they dont belive in him. But why do that? do we use X in any other names?  I think out of respect we should not cross out Christ in Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you noticed crossing and x-ing?  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

ive noticed that alot of people use an x instead of christ. Im curious as to why people would mark out his name.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the ancient symbols in the Church for Christ is the Chi Rho, two Greek letters that look like the English X and P. You will usually find the P superimposed upon the X.

The stained glass windows in my church have this symbol.

Many people simply shorten the X & P to X.

So, Xmas is simply a shortened form of Christmas.

I frequently employ the shortened form. Of course, since I know Greek, I know what it means.

viator
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One of the ancient symbols in the Church for Christ is the Chi Rho, two Greek letters that look like the English X and P. You will usually find the P superimposed upon the X.

I frequently employ the shortened form. Of course, since I know Greek, I know what it means.

viator

Of course in anycase of shortning the name Christmas is just plain lazy to me, (my opinoin) and I do not believe in using anytype of x or p or any other greek symbol in the english language to mark out the name of Christ. Why do people shorten the name Christmas?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

Of course in anycase of shortning the name Christmas is just plain lazy to me, (my opinoin) and I do not believe in using anytype of x or p or any other greek symbol in the english language to mark out the name of Christ. Why do people shorten the name Christmas?

___

During college lessons at a christian university, learned  that "X" is part of the anogram adopted during the early times of the Roman-Greek church.

Certainly, the quite learned amongst yourselves are able to understand and acknowledge this without  your degenerist agenda of an anti-christ phobia!  

For those who are simply too stupid to understand the Greek-Roman and Latin origin of this...let me say....

Substitute an "X" for an "F"

Get an X'n education

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

___

During college lessons at a christian university, learned  that "X" is part of the anogram adopted during the early times of the Roman-Greek church.

Certainly, the quite learned amongst yourselves are able to understand and acknowledge this without  your degenerist agenda of an anti-christ phobia!  

For those who are simply too stupid to understand the Greek-Roman and Latin origin of this...let me say....

Get an X'n education

First off let me say this "degenerist agenda"  lol ahahah wtf is that, please go look up the word degenerate, then find me the definition for degenerist.  (looks to me that YOU are the one in need of an education)
I have an education pal, second i do not have an anti-christ phobia, (dont know where you got that at) but anyways. knowing the greek or latin language doesnt mean i do not have an education. and im not stupid. My question,if you even bothered to read it, just asked why are people so lazy to not use the full name of CHristmas? why you got all tickled and bothered by that is beyond me, why you resort to calling me stupid and telling me i need an education is bizarre. have a Merry Christmas!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

___

Get an X'n education

I have an education pal, second i do not have an anti-christ phobia, (dont know where you got that at) but anyways. knowing the greek or latin language doesnt mean i do not have an education. and im not stupid. My question,if you even bothered to read it, just asked why are people so lazy to not use the full name of CHristmas? why you got all tickled and bothered by that is beyond me, why you resort to calling me stupid and telling me i need an education is bizarre. have a Merry Christmas!!

Both are correct and acceptible forms of Christmas.

Merry X Christmas
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I say we ban acronyms period.

Merry Christmas

no joke, i agree
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ive noticed that alot of people use an x instead of christ. Im curious as to why people would mark out his name.

Because Christ has nothing to do with Christmas for 90% of the people that celebrate it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

___

Get an X'n education

First off let me say this "degenerist agenda"  lol ahahah wtf is that, please go look up the word degenerate, then find me the definition for degenerist.  (looks to me that YOU are the one in need of an education)

___

Re:

"I have an education pal, second i do not have an anti-christ phobia, (dont know where you got that at) but anyways. "

__

Well, then, a-whole, I'm amazed by your education.  

That said,  you are also poorly informed that ..."anti-christ phobia, (dont know where you got that at) .

There is no anti-christ "phobia" of Jews.  As a Jew, who converted from what I can assert, as one raised christian, that anyone who would confuse the idea of the person of jesus with the concept of universal acceptance is losing what the historical understanding of the person of jesus is.

That person, as identified even by Mathew, regarding the refernece that he came to change "...not one jot or title of the Law...".

So...

1)  Don't call me pal, you a-whole.  

2)  Have a Very, very Mithras-based holiday.      

3)  Happy Hanuka!  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]

___

Re:

"I have an education pal, second i do not have an anti-christ phobia, (dont know where you got that at) but anyways. "

__

Well, then, a-whole, I'm amazed by your education.  

That said,  you are also poorly informed that ..."anti-christ phobia, (dont know where you got that at) .

There is no anti-christ "phobia" of Jews.  As a Jew, who converted from what I can assert, as one raised christian, that anyone who would confuse the idea of the person of jesus with the concept of universal acceptance is losing what the historical understanding of the person of jesus is.

That person, as identified even by Mathew, regarding the refernece that he came to change "...not one jot or title of the Law...".

So...

1)  Don't call me pal, you a-whole.  

2)  Have a Very, very Mithras-based holiday.      

3)  Happy Hanuka!  

hey PAL, can you and your "so called" educated mind let us all know what an a-whole is?? lol.  

now you may call me a pie-HOLE or something similar but either way its not going to have a Whole in it.

fantastic education you must have recieved, why dont you go light some candles or something. ohh and have a Merry CHRISTMAS!!!!   I know i will!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a college degree, but I don't remember all the greek letters, I just used a few in math/science classes.  

When I was in 8th grade, my English teacher would teach us some Latin once or twice a week.

Whatever.

I spell it Christmas.  No reason to shorten it.  

Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#16]
ho ho ho
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top