Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 4:54:40 AM EDT
What gives people the right to sue over the death of a family member? I'm not referring to someone killing the bread-winner of the family, for which they have to financially compensate the family.  There are many examples, but Ron Goldman's father suing OJ comes to mind.  It was a terrible tragedy and OJ should have been hanged for it, but how does Goldman's father have a right to sue and win?  Is it simply another way to punish someone in civil court if the criminal court finds no fault?  I've wondered about this before, but this thread reminded me of it again: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=268713
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I think there are some very good reasons for this.  An example:  A few years ago my wife was assaulted by a drunk that tried to rape her.  If it wasn't for my wifes ability to defend herself she would have been raped.  Her clothes were torn and my vehicle got damaged in the process.

Now in the wisdom of the courts and the DA they decided this guy  was not fully responsible for his actions since he was drunk at the time and only gave him 3 months county jail time for simple assault without any mention of restitution for our damaged property.

SO we sued civily and easily won.  Sure it was only for  less than $500 and I only got a small part of that back.  But it wasn't about the money and it wasn't even about justice.  It was about REVENGE!  And I wanted every single ounce of revenge possible from this guy since I am not allowed to kill him.

SGatr1`5
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:01:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What gives people the right to sue over the death of a family member? I'm not referring to someone killing the bread-winner of the family, for which they have to financially compensate the family.  

I don't understand how in your view the only family person of any value  for a civil suit is the "breadwinner".
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What gives people the right to sue over the death of a family member? I'm not referring to someone killing the bread-winner of the family, for which they have to financially compensate the family.  

I don't understand how in your view the only family person of any value  for a civil suit is the "breadwinner".

Joe Shmoe kills Ron Goldman who happens to be married with two kids.  His wife doesn't work and needs money.  Joe Shmoe not only has to be tried for his crime, but he now has to compensate Ron's wife because of her loss of the 'bread-winner' of the family.  Or, Joe Shmoe kills Ron Goldman's wife.  Ron now has no one at home to take care of and raise the kids.  He needs to be financially compensated so that he can hire someone to stay with the kids.  

Vs.

Joe Shmoe kills one of Ron Goldman's kids ie. hit and run while the child is riding his bike.  The family has not lost anything 'financially'.  How do you judge how much a child (who is priceless to the family) is 'worth'?

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top