Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2003 6:51:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
DUDE?@#?@?

Where's the Valkarie?  

It's the only one of it's kind IN THE WORLD.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
HEY/!!! Dose r kewel!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are great pictures.
I can't stand the black background of the hanger and they way they have it backlit to look like it is night time.

I would rather have the aircraft displayed as aircraft, not as part of some kids model aircraft diorama.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DUDE?@#?@?

Where's the Valkarie?  

View Quote

Ummmm  Where was it? Is it outside? I did not see it anywhere!

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The big white beast.

6 huge-ass turbofan exhaust.  Looks like the opening scene of Star Wars where the Battle Cruiser goes over you.

You couldn't miss it........

NORTH AMERICAN XB-70 "VALKYRIE"

[img]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/modern_flight/xb70.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I know [b]what[/b] it is, I was asking where it is. lmao. I did not see it anywhere.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Right next to the SR-71, last time I was there.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=141&iGalleryUnq=399&iImageUnq=21015[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It's located in the The North Modern Flight Gallery. It was moved inside in 1998.

The North Modern Flight Gallery also has:
Tacit Blue
B-58 Hustler
SR-71

[url]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/modern_flight/mf.htm[/url]

Quoted:
DUDE?@#?@?
Where's the Valkarie?  
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I lived in Dayton when they supposedly "retired" the SR71. It did lazy 8's over the city for about 20 to 30 minutes before it landed. VERY COOL. This was all pre GW1, you know the rest of the story.

Bob

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's located in the The North Modern Flight Gallery. It was moved inside in 1998.
View Quote

Hmmm.  My picture is from 1991.  It was obviously inside then.  Can't believe they'd risk leaving it outside after that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
That beats the pants off the Air and Space Museum. Guess I'm gonna have to get over there one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I read that it was moved inside in 1998.
I was at Wright-Patterson for three weeks in 1988 and it was sitting outside the main museum in the hot nasty humid Ohio summer weather dripping fuel, oil and hydraulic fluid.

Perhaps it was moved inside in 1989.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm.  My picture is from 1991.  It was obviously inside then.  Can't believe they'd risk leaving it outside after that.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I went there when I was a teenager and my Uncle was stationed at WP-AFB, 30 odd years ago. That place was so cool. I will go back there some day.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Not even.
And now with the Udvar-Hazy Center there is nothing that compares to it.
Don't get me wrong, the USAF Wright-Patterson Museum is awsome too!

Quoted:
That beats the pants off the Air and Space Museum. Guess I'm gonna have to get over there one of these days.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]

"Strawberry Bitch" [:P]

They don't name 'em like that anymore!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
wow, awesome photos. i was there this last july for the big airshow and to check out the museum. the valkyrie is over at the presidential hanger. you have to have a security pass to get over there, it's seperate from the main museum and they only allow a set number of people per day to visit. by 0930, the list was all filled up and i never got to see it. looking at my avatar, you can imagine my disapointment.
of course, it was the 100th aniversary of aviation, the blue angels, thunderbirds, and snowbirds were flying each of the 4 days of the airshow. john glen was at the museum for a dinner and a speech. the whole place was packed every day.
new hampshire to dayton, i can see i'll have to do it again sometime.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#18]
wth?  heavy sadness.. the XB-70 was my main reason for going to WB for a visit.  now I don't stand much of a chance to see her?  %^&*(

Thanks for sharing the photo's Aviator! [beer]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Great pics.  I took one of the Bock's car with my sister in front of it in about 1986.  Awesome place, but I fear that the National Air and Space Museum may have one up on some of it now that they have that additional space.

Not to be a dork, but can anyone hazard a guess at the identity Romanian marked aircraft behind the Me 163 Komet?  The tailfin makes me think "Blenheim," but I think it's probably a Ju88.  

(Not Ukrainian!)
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]
XB-70 at W/P circa 1985:

[image]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=11633&iGalleryUnq=179&iImageUnq=21018[/image]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
wow, awesome photos. i was there this last july for the big airshow and to check out the museum. the valkyrie is over at the presidential hanger. you have to have a security pass to get over there, it's seperate from the main museum and they only allow a set number of people per day to visit. by 0930, the list was all filled up and i never got to see it. looking at my avatar, you can imagine my disapointment.
of course, it was the 100th aniversary of aviation, the blue angels, thunderbirds, and snowbirds were flying each of the 4 days of the airshow. john glen was at the museum for a dinner and a speech. the whole place was packed every day.
new hampshire to dayton, i can see i'll have to do it again sometime.
View Quote

If you're talking the 2003 Dayton airshow, I was at the museum saturday and it was in the main part of the museum, but had been pushed back into the "new" third hanger (wwi on right in first hanger, wwii on left in first hanger, hanger #2 had the b52 dominating the left side, and hanger #3 had just been opened up a few months before and seemed to be in a sort of unorganized disarray as they shuffled things around)  I think they're calling that their "cold war" hanger??

'Course, I could be wrong, and I'd have to dig out the negatives to check....I KNOW I saw it though...and it wasn't where it'd been two years before.  [:D]

Cool pics though -- I'm hoping to get out there again this coming may, again combining the dayton hamfest with a visit to the museum.  I love that place...could (and do) spend HOURS just admiring the planes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#22]
nice.  was that B-17 at Oshkosh this summer?  i know there were 2 of them there.  i saw one fly over the highway heading home.  awesome sight.

IMO you can't beat the WW2 planes.  so many places i have yet to see!  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:40:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
DUDE?@#?@?

[red]Where's the Valkarie[/red]?  

View Quote

[ROFL] That's [b]exactly[/b] the first thought that popped into my head.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#24]
fanoftheblackrifle, yeah, i'm talking this year. the wife and i were there thursday and friday,we looked all around for it and finally had to ask.we were directed to a kiosk set up to take names for the shuttle bus over to the other couple of hangers.as one shuttle would return, they would let the next one go over so that there was a pretty constant number of visitors. you would also have been issued a security badge to gain access. that list was filled the first day when we got there at 1130, it was also already filled the second day and we got there much earlier.
this from their web site:

[red]Note: The Presidential and R & D Hangars on the active part of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB) are only accessible using the shuttle bus service from the main Museum complex. You can no longer drive a personal vehicle to this part of the Museum. Reservations (free) are required and can be made at the desk located in the main museum complex on a first come first served basis. Government issued photo ID required.

Thank you for supporting the USAF Museum! [/red]
now i think i was wrong, i think i was told it was at the r&d hanger, which is next to the presidential hanger.
i spent a lot of time over two days in the main museum hangers. i saw and took pictures of a shitload of planes i had only seen in books. ran my hands down the sr-71. if the valkyrie was there, they would have had to of pried me off of it to close for the night.

editted to say that while looking around their website,and taking into consideration what others have posted, it seems that they move some of these things around quite a bit.
and seeing as this IS the one and only in existance, i can see it being over where it is more secure, but, hey, who knows.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#25]
OK....looks like I was wrong then...probably thinking of the year beforehand when it was in the "modern flight" hanger....I'm trying to make it a yearly trip out there until I have the time/money to get all the way to DC...so the various trips tend to blur together.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy crap!!!! [shock]

How many here know what this plane did? It did a BIG job but most forgot it's name and remembered the "other" one!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20992[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Holy crap!!!! [shock]

How many here know what this plane did? It did a BIG job but most forgot it's name and remembered the "other" one!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20992[/img]
View Quote

That one dropped 'da BOMB on Nagasaki.

IIRC, it dropped "fat-man" -- the plutonium bomb.  Enola Gay dropped "little-boy" -- the uranium bomb -- first because it was deemed "more reliable" (less to go wrong with the design of the bomb.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Oh yeah.....and Mr. Bock (who normally flew bockscar) wasn't flying it on that mission.  I seem to remember reading that for some reason or other, he ended up flying a weather/recon/damage-assesment plane on that mission.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#29]
XB-70...

Neat plane, and the USAF's attempt at getting into the carrier biz...

That thing was actually an aircraft carrier itself... 2 (iirc) 'Goblin' interceptors were to be carried on underwing hardpoints, for launch in case of enemy fighter attack...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#30]
USAF has a Komet...

The one plane (er roman candle with wings) you couldn't even PAY me to fly... A very appropriately named aircraft (since they often had a very comet-like appearance as they caught fire and went 'boom')...

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
XB-70...

Neat plane, and the USAF's attempt at getting into the carrier biz...

That thing was actually an aircraft carrier itself... 2 (iirc) 'Goblin' interceptors were to be carried on underwing hardpoints, for launch in case of enemy fighter attack...
View Quote

I believe they experimented with parasite fighters with the B-36.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:35:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, I dont think that parasite aircraft would do much more than break off at Mach 3
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#33]
ONE LAST TIME:

THE XB-70 IS LOCATED IN THE [b]NORTH MODERN FLIGHT GALLERY[/b].

THAT IS NOT THE PRESIDENTIAL AND R&D HANGER.

YOU DO NOT NEED A PASS TO GO SEE THE XB-70.

FROM THE WRIGHT PATTERSON MUSEUM WEBPAGE:
[url]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/annex/ans.htm[/url]

Note: The Presidential and R & D Hangars on the active part of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB) are only accessible using the shuttle bus service from the main Museum complex. You can no longer drive a personal vehicle to this part of the Museum. Reservations (free) are required and can be made at the desk located in the main museum complex on a first come first served basis. Government issued photo ID required.

Presidential Aircraft
Douglas VC-54C "Sacred Cow"
Douglas VC-118 "Independence"
Lockheed VC-121E "Columbine III"
Bell UH-13J "Sioux"
Boeing VC-137C SAM 26000
Beech VC-6A
Aero Commander U-4B
North American T-39A "Sabre Liner"
Lockheed VC-140B "Jetstar"
Other aircraft on display in the actual Museum hangar:
Annex North.
North American T-28B "Trojan"
North American L-17A "Navion"
Culver PQ-14B
Republic P-47D "Thunderbolt"
Junkers JU-88D
Beech C-45H "Expeditor"
DeHavilland C-7A "Caribou" (currently on display in the Airpark)
Vertol CH-21B "Workhorse"
Ryan YPT-16

WHERE THE XB-70 IS LOCATED:

The North Modern Flight Gallery

Lockheed-Boeing-General Dynamics YF-22 "Raptor"
McDonnell Douglas F-15A
General Atomics RQ-1 Predator
Lockheed F117A "Nighthawk"
General Dynamics F-16A
Northrop F-89J "Scorpion"
Beech T-34A "Mentor"
Cessna U-3A
North American F-86D "Sabre"
Helio U-10D "Super Courier"
Republic F105G "Thunderchief"
Convair F-106A "Delta Dart"
Ryan BQM-34 "Firebee"
Douglas RB-66B "Destroyer"
Cessna T-37
Convair B-58 "Hustler"
Ryan X-13 "Vertijet"
Cessna T-41A "Mescalero"
Lockheed SR-71A
Grumman X-29A

DING DING DING DING!
North American XB-70 "Valkyrie"

TACIT BLUE (Whale)
Bell X-1B
Fairchild Republic A-10A "Thunderbolt II"
LTV A-7D "Corsair II"
Mikoyan-Gurevich Mig-17 "Fresco"
Ground Launched Cruise Missile
Boeing B-47E "Stratojet"
Martin EB-57B "Canberra"
Boeing B-52D "Stratofortress"
Northrop YF-5A "Freedom Fighter"
Lockheed F-104C "Starfighter"
McDonnell Douglas F-4 "Phantom II"
North American Rockwell OV-10A "Bronco"
F-4 Phantom Cockpit Mock-up
Lockheed U-2A
General Dynamics F-111A (currently off public display)
General Dynamics F-111F
Republic F-105D "Thunderchief"
Teledyne Ryan AQM-34L "Firebee"
Boeing AGM-86B (ALCM) Air-Launched Cruise Missile
McDonnell ADM-20 "Quail"
General Dynamics AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile
Bell UH-1P "Iroquois"
McDonnell RF-101C "Voodoo"
Bell X-5
North American X-15A-2
YCGM-121B Boeing Robotic Air Vehicle
Northrop AGM-136A "Tacit Rainbow"
Douglas X-3 "Stiletto"
Lockheed X-17
Northrop X-4
Martin X-24B
View Quote

The XB-70 might have been located in the Presidential and R&R hanger at one time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Believe it or not, I have a BT-14 like the one standing on it's nose in the third or fourth pic. It looks like a fixed gear T-6, painted blue and yellow.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or was that an A-12?  It's been a looooong time since I've been to WPAFB.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#36]

I'm going to have to make another trip. Last time I was there was right after they had built the addition on to house the SR71. Must have been at least 10 years or more.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ONE LAST TIME:

THE XB-70 IS LOCATED IN THE [b]NORTH MODERN FLIGHT GALLERY[/b].

THAT IS NOT THE PRESIDENTIAL AND R&D HANGER.

YOU DO NOT NEED A PASS TO GO SEE THE XB-70.

FROM THE WRIGHT PATTERSON MUSEUM WEBPAGE:
[url]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/annex/ans.htm[/url]

Actually, no it is not. I would not have missed it. It must be on the "Far side" I have a base pass, and could go over to the presidential and R&D, but ran out of time. I am thinking it must be over in that area. I'll bet the web site has not been updated.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Or was that an A-12?  It's been a looooong time since I've been to WPAFB.
View Quote

Take a look at my photo - you'll see the SR-71 in the back ground on the right.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Here's a couple of cool pics from the airshow this year.

Yeah... it's that big!
[image]http://home.columbus.rr.com/miketrac/pictures/dont_move/B52.jpg[/image]

Who do you suppose had the most fun?  The Mustang pilot or the F15 pilot?  
I suppose the F15 pilot was working a little harder to fly that slow.
[image]http://home.columbus.rr.com/miketrac/pictures/dont_move/F15%20in%20formation.JPG[/image]

And then... the longest continuous wall of fire (something like 6000 feet long)  You could feel the heat instantly from some 1/3 mile away.  Awesome.
[image]http://home.columbus.rr.com/miketrac/pictures/dont_move/JU-52%20and%20explosion.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I was there a couple of years ago.  The place is simply AWESOME !  They let us onboard the plane that flew JFK's body back to Washington DC and LBJ was sworn-in on.  The Valkarie was in a separate hanger we had to ride a bus to see.  One can't see it all in one day...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I have posted this before but here it is again...for you A-12 and SR-71 fans, this is about the most interesting story about one that crashed and the hunt to find it.

[url]http://www.serve.com/mahood/a-12/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Take a look at my photo - you'll see the SR-71 in the back ground on the right.
View Quote

It's just that the A-12 & SR-71 are almost identical, I didn't recall which one was there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Man, it's been a long time since I've thought about this stuff.  Had to go check details to get it straight.

The YF-12 is in the R&D Hangar.  I'm not enough of a planespotter to tell them apart from a distance.

[url]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/annex/an12.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Man, it's been a long time since I've thought about this stuff.  Had to go check details to get it straight.

The YF-12 is in the R&D Hangar.  I'm not enough of a planespotter to tell them apart from a distance.

[url]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/annex/an12.htm[/url]
View Quote

Would make sense since it was not "operational"

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Check out this web sight on the XB-70:

http://www.labiker.org/xb70.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#46]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=141&iGalleryUnq=399&iImageUnq=21028[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Awesome pictures guys. Thanks for sharing them.

I was once within about 1000' of a B-52. That was as close as I could get. It was overhead. I was 13. Now [u]that[/u] was awesome. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Liesure_Shoot: You and I have similar taste in pictures.......I'd swear I've got photos from that airshow that look almost exactly like that, though I was standing on the runway centerline to get a picture of the B52.

What really makes that thing look big, (besides walking under it....and 2 minutes of walking later STILL being under it), is seeing it from in the air, as it sits there on the runway.   I took a ride on one of the hueys, and, well, the B52 makes the whole RUNWAY look small.

Also, while the huey was "taxi-ing" across the airfield, we "taxi-ed" right over a couple of the F15s while they were taxi-ing over to the runway to do their show.  That was pretty cool (and damned loud).

Mmm....dayton airshow 2003....that was a LOT of fun.  IF classes permit, I'm going to try to make it to Oshkosh this summer.  [:D]  Of course, I'll need a frame pack just to carry my film in if I go up there.  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Awesome pictures guys. Thanks for sharing them.

I was once within about 1000' of a B-52. That was as close as I could get. It was overhead. I was 13. Now [u]that[/u] was awesome. [:D]
View Quote

I've been in 'em and flown the simulator [:P]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#50]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15062[/img]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15056[/img]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15090[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15091[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15065[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15059[/img]
best airshow i've seen in my 41 years. i'd love to go again. you ohio boys know how to use pyro for full effect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top