Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 4:50:04 PM EDT
Say what you want about American cars being junk.  This car was rear ended in a chain accident and needed the bumper and bumper cover fixed.  Now this.

Impact was 60 mph, straight and level highway.  My buddy and I were yakking, had my dog in the back seat, he was sitting up with his head in between us looking ahead too.  Deer jumped out immediately in front of us, there was no chance to avoid hitting it whatsoever.  Pow!  We went from 60 down to 50 and the deer flew up the hood and over the top of the car to land somewhere were we never found it in the dark!!!!

Amazingly, the radiator didn't leak, even though it was bent up pretty bad.  After a Sheriff's deputy investigated (she didn't shoot my dog!), I drove it 15 miles home.

Pics:

I took it to the body shop today, the most reasonable one in town.  He does really good work though.  His estimate was $3500.  Due to the low value of the car (it's a 99 Alero with almost 100k on it) the insurance company is talking about totaling it and are having their own adjuster come look at it on Monday.  I owe more than it is worth, BUT I purchased gap insurance just in case something like this ever happened, so I'm covered.  

I would say, this is a pretty well built car, regardless of how little value it held in the market.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
i just want to beat trh once.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If that were a Toyota, there would have been no damage.

They're the best cars in the world, ya know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It must have been Jap steel
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

this is true.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit a deer doing 60 MPH with an '85 crown vic... Bounced the thing off the front bumper into a feild and cracked the front plastic bumper...almost no damage...

Hit three deer with that car while I had it over ten years..spent 100 bucks fixing the damage.

The old style Crown Vic's were the last of the Detroit Iron. American cars these days are just like Japanese cars...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is true.

+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow, hit a deer with me American car at 60, and DROVE IT AWAY!!  

Are you a pirate?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Deer quietly kneel by the side of the road, head bowed, when a Toyota passes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Theres only one word to describe your(and your car's condition) Lucky.

I've seen full size pickups totalled after hitting deer. Count your blessings, glad you're ok.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top