Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 1:21:57 PM EDT
Rockwell's blog entry concerning McCain's speech.

Less than flattering.

www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/022684.html

September 04, 2008
I, I, I, I
Posted by Lew Rockwell at September 4, 2008 10:27 PM

I am a victim, a dedicated if imperfect servant of my country, not perfected until I realized that the State is far more important than I am, I love peace, I hate war, I will wage war, I will smite the Muslims, I will kill the Russians, I will strike down anyone who fails to bow the knee to me, I will drill, I will build nuclear power plants, I will care for the jobless, the homeless, the bankrupt, the sick, the oil men, the bankers, the arms merchants, the soldiers, the lobbyists; I was a POW, I bear the scars of Jesus on my body, I was wounded, I was hurt, I was crippled, I was jailed, I was tortured, I was imprisoned, I was gaoled, I was in captivity, I was behind bars, I was held against my will, except when I decided to stay, I told nothing, I told nothing, I told everything, country first, country first, freedom, low taxes, I will stand at your side, not in front of you, world empire, everything for the State, nothing outside the State, nothing against the State, hail me, hail me, hail me.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Who the hell is Lew Rockwell
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
why should we care?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never agreed with Lew Rockwell on anything.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A fairly well known libertarian political commentator who has been quoted on here from time to time.

A big Ron Paul backer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm hit or miss on him, but this was pretty harsh.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The poster child for loony Libertarian thought.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
He's who now?

Seriously, I've never even heard of the guy.

I guess all the wackos are coming out of the woodwork.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
never heard of the douche, and dont care
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
He's not exactly "nobody".

He's the head of www.mises.org/

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Uber-libertarian lunatic. His site is rife with pro-anarchy crap and conspiracy mongering bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Can honestly say I've never heard of the guy.

If I've heard the name before, I don't remotely recall when.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You cannot have any in-depth knowledge of the history of economics without encountering people like Ludwig von Mises, Murray N. Rothbard, Carl Menger, or the entire Austrian School of economic theory.

It is the diametric, polar opposition to Marxism. It places the individual at the center of economics.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

World class nutter
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

He used to be Ron's Pauls Chief of Staff... the guy the Paul campaign blamed for writing the crazy news letter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cannot have any in-depth knowledge of the history of economics without encountering people like Ludwig von Mises, Murray N. Rothbard, Carl Menger, or the entire Austrian School of economic theory.

It is the diametric, polar opposition to Marxism. It places the individual at the center of economics.

Yes, but what would von Mises think of Lew Rockwell?

Austrian economics is great, but Lew has a few loose screws.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He used to be Ron's Pauls Chief of Staff... the guy the Paul campaign blamed for writing the crazy news letter.

Interesting, the website above was enough to give me a headache in a short period of time.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
After reading that, my comment is fuck him.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:

A fairly well known libertarian political commentator who has been quoted on here from time to time.

A big Ron Paul backer.

Say no more.  He's as significant as a zit on a horse's ass.

HH
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Took a look around the website, didn't take long to give me a headache.

He does that to people… well at least people that have not already cut off oxygen to their brains with to tight tin-foil hats.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Once upon a time, Maggie Thatcher, in a discussion of the direction of conservatism in England, said:

"This . . . is what we beleive", slamming a von Mises book on the table

Austrian economics is key, it provides the theory that allowed Reagan to understand that our economic system was superior to the Soviets'. It is good that Lew pushes Austrian economics, it is unfortunate that he is prefers to loose rather than compromise.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Why should I care what Lew Rockwell has to say?

Lew Rockwell gags on giant dicks...

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I have corresponded with him by email, and agree with much of the things he says.

The more pro-individualist you are, the more you are going to lean in his direction.  The more statist you are, the more you will depise him.

He spends his time promoting free market capitalism.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have corresponded with him by email, and agree with much of the things he says.

The more pro-individualist you are, the more you are going to lean in his direction.  The more statist you are, the more you will depise him.

bingo
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

A key problem with him is that it has to be all or nothing. It will never be "all", at least not in one giant leap, so it defaults to "nothing".

The reality of politics and foreign relations is compromise. Those who refuse to compromise sit on the sidelines complaining (some carve out a nice little nitch doing so).

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A key problem with him is that it has to be all or nothing. It will never be "all", at least not in one giant leap, so it defaults to "nothing".

The reality of politics and foreign relations is compromise. Those who refuse to compromise sit on the sidelines complaining (some carve out a nice little nitch doing so).

In reality, it takes all kinds.  If there were no one holding up a banner of hard line liberty, those who are otherwise effectual would have a harder time determining the right direction to point towards, if you follow my meaning.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm annoyed by people that spell their name Lew instead of Lou
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Lew Rockwell's been babbling like an idiot just about nonstop for the last 7 years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In reality, it takes all kinds.  If there were no one holding up a banner of hard line liberty, those who are otherwise effectual would have a harder time determining the right direction to point towards, if you follow my meaning.

Well, it appears that Thatcher and Reagan were both influenced by von Mises, so to some extent your point is true. But then, I'm not sure von Mises was a "no compromise" sort of guy.

My own opinion is: I have a view of liberty and free markets, and the way the world should be. I know there is no way we will get there anytime soon, and I'm happy with steps in that direction.

You can understand right from wrong and still pick your battles and not fight every injustice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm hit or miss on him, but this was pretty harsh.

Sounds like he is having a pissy fit because he backed a loon
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's because it's short for Lewellyn, not Louis.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well, it appears that Thatcher and Reagan were both influenced by von Mises, so to some extent your point is true. But then, I'm not sure von Mises was a "no compromise" sort of guy.

My own opinion is: I have a view of liberty and free markets, and the way the world should be. I know there is no way we will get there anytime soon, and I'm happy with steps in that direction.

You can understand right from wrong and still pick your battles and not fight every injustice.

Likewise.  

Here is the first words you read upon visiting American Revival:

Welcome to AmericanRevival.org. The purpose of this site is to teach you about liberty.  The hope is that you are inspired to spend less time watching television (or whatever else steals your time away) and to use that time instead to educate yourself- and eventually others- about liberty, responsibility and self-government.  It may already be too late to turn the tide of absolutism (government without any real restraint), but some of us are going to continue working towards liberty as long we have breath to do it with.  Our nation, our world, is in desperate need- please join us.

The way I see it, I don't expect that we will ever live in a world or a nation or a State that truly respects all the rights of the individual, but I can't help that I would rather quit breathing that quit pointing others in that direction.  Other people, pragmatists if you will, say I am just nave, but I don't care.  Like I said, it takes all kinds.

AmericanRevival.org

The Quotable Mises
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because it's short for Lewellyn, not Louis.

If you put a tool-belt and hard-hat on that name it could join the Village People.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Less than flattering.

September 04, 2008
I, I, I, I

I am a victim, a dedicated if imperfect servant of my country, not perfected until I realized that the State is far more important than I am, I love peace, I hate war, I will wage war, I will smite the Muslims, I will kill the Russians, I will strike down anyone who fails to bow the knee to me, I will drill, I will build nuclear power plants, I will care for the jobless, the homeless, the bankrupt, the sick, the oil men, the bankers, the arms merchants, the soldiers, the lobbyists; I was a POW, I bear the scars of Jesus on my body, I was wounded, I was hurt, I was crippled, I was jailed, I was tortured, I was imprisoned, I was gaoled, I was in captivity, I was behind bars, I was held against my will, except when I decided to stay, I told nothing, I told nothing, I told everything, country first, country first, freedom, low taxes, I will stand at your side, not in front of you, world empire, everything for the State, nothing outside the State, nothing against the State, hail me, hail me, hail me.

Lew, whens the last time you risked anything for your country ?  Pussy

Cpt. McCain could have ridden his dads coat tails to a cushy coffee mug driving  USN career yet he many times threw his hat in the ring, he didn't have to he wanted to, And his offspring continues in that tradition. Look there are a lot of policy matters that i disagree with McCain on but  for a fucking pussy to mock a truly great man makes me sick

t is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

So in closing fuck you, you have every right to question his policies but to question his stature is beyond disgusting
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

World class nutter

Tinfoil galore.

IIRC he's big with the GOA, too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Lew, whens the last time you risked anything fo country ?  Pussy

He might but only if you could remake the Confederacy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lew, whens the last time you risked anything fo country ?  Pussy

He might but only if you could remake the Confederacy.

see my edited post for more detail
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Less than flattering.

September 04, 2008
I, I, I, I

Lew, whens the last time you risked anything for your country ?  Pussy

Cpt. McCain could have ridden his dads coat tails to a cushy coffee mug driving  USN career yet he many times threw his hat in the ring, he didn't have to he wanted to, And his offspring continues in that tradition. Look there are a lot of policy matters that i disagree with McCain on but  for a fucking pussy to mock a truly great man makes me sick

t is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

So in closing fuck you, you have every right to question his policies but to question his stature is beyond disgusting

Ordinarily, I am very libertarian leaning in my views, and have found Lew Rockwell to be a pretty decent viewpoint from that direction - within the context of understanding what you're getting and considering the sources.

But his completely disrespectful commentary was quite offensive to me.

Hugely offensive actually.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Lew Rockwell is a neo-confederate troofer nut with no credibility. His allies are Ron Paul, Alex Jones and he was once Cindy Sheehan's lover and sponsor.

Fuck him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top