Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 12:57:37 PM EDT
Police Say Ax Attack Was Racially Motivated

LIVERPOOL, England (July 30) - A black teenager died Saturday after an attacker embedded an ax in his skull in a crime police say was racially motivated.

Anthony Walker, 18, was waiting for a bus with his girlfriend and a cousin when a man started shouting racist taunts at them near Walker's home in Liverpool around 11:30 p.m. (1030GMT) Friday, police said.

The three did not retaliate, instead leaving to find another bus stop in order to avoid any trouble, police said.

But a group of three or four men followed them through a park, and Walker's companions saw someone bludgeon him with an ax. They ran to get help and returned a few minutes later to find him with the ax embedded in his skull, news reports said.

Walker died early Saturday in a neurological hospital.

"This was a despicable act, and we are absolutely determined to find the people responsible," said Bernard Lawson, assistant chief constable of the Liverpool police.

Detective Chief Superintendent Peter Currie, who was leading the investigation, appealed for help from the public in catching the attackers.

"What we are dealing with here is a vicious and unprovoked attack on a young black man which we believe to be racially motivated," he said.

Lawson said there had been several other incidents of racial abuse in the area recently.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If you think that racism is frequent here, you should see Europe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't Europe kind of invent the hate-crime?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
What do blacks in European countries call themselves?  African-English?  African-French?  Or just black?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What do blacks in European countries call themselves? African-English? African-French? Or just black?

I'm pretty sure they call themselves whatever country they were born in i.e. French, British...

Exceptions of  course for the rabid, fanatical followers of a certain faith.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you think the dead guy liked rap?

j/k
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, lemme ax you sumpin.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey, lemme ax you sumpin.

Sheeeeit. Watcha sayin' holmes?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Do you think the dead guy liked rap?

j/k

Have you seen the Ali G movie? That's some funny shit!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Police Say Ax Attack Was Racially Motivated

LIVERPOOL, England (July 30) - A black teenager died Saturday after an attacker embedded an ax in his skull in a crime police say was racially motivated.

Anthony Walker, 18, was waiting for a bus with his girlfriend and a cousin when a man started shouting racist taunts at them near Walker's home in Liverpool around 11:30 p.m. (1030GMT) Friday, police said.

The three did not retaliate, instead leaving to find another bus stop in order to avoid any trouble, police said.

But a group of three or four men followed them through a park, and Walker's companions saw someone bludgeon him with an ax. They ran to get help and returned a few minutes later to find him with the ax embedded in his skull, news reports said.

Walker died early Saturday in a neurological hospital.

"This was a despicable act, and we are absolutely determined to find the people responsible," said Bernard Lawson, assistant chief constable of the Liverpool police.

Detective Chief Superintendent Peter Currie, who was leading the investigation, appealed for help from the public in catching the attackers.

"What we are dealing with here is a vicious and unprovoked attack on a young black man which we believe to be racially motivated," he said.

Lawson said there had been several other incidents of racial abuse in the area recently.

This is Tragic
And it concerns me all the more as it's here...here on my doorstep and on your doorstep too

To make fun of this savage murder is unforgivable.

One guy has been arrested I hope more arrests come soon

Taffy
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]
please post the LINK!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Wait a minute! Wasn't crime banned in England in 1996?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
wait, no this doesnt make any sense at all!

people arent allowed to own guns anymore in England.  And if people dont have guns, they cant commit crimes.  at least, thats what i thought.

man, i am thoroughly perplexed.      
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

people arent allowed to own guns anymore in England.  And if people dont have guns, they cant commit crimes.  at least, thats what i thought.

You are wrong...not your fault but you are wrong
I own 3 rifles and most of my friends who shoot own many many more than I do
Does crime require a gun

To be flippant about the callous murder of a black kid is ok?  you think?

Taffy

Blairhous you should know better
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are wrong...not your fault but you are wrong
I own 3 rifles and most of my friends who shoot own many many more than I do
Does crime require a gun

To be flippant about the callous murder of a black kid is ok?  you think?

Taffy

Blairhous you should know better

dude, this is the same crowd that was positively giddy that the police capped the Brazilian turnstile jumper last week, so I wouldn't expect much sympathy for anyone else.  I'm sure the view of a lot of folks here is that he shouldn't have stuck his head in front of that axe.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#15]
It's called "Paki bashing".

Gives the soccor hooligans something to do during the off-season.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm sure the view of a lot of folks here is that he shouldn't have stuck his head in front of that axe.  

No, I don' think that is the case, but I think most people think the charge is ridiculous. Why is this crime anymore heinous than if it was a white kid the guy got into an argument with, and axed him (a question) instead.

How do you think the parents of a white victim of a crime feel when they realize that because their child wasn't black, the murder is somehow less heinous, and has different rules.

The whole idea of a "hate crime" is BS....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#17]
time to ban assault axes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
time to ban assault axes.

Oh yeah, meant to mention that.... BAN AXES!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sure the view of a lot of folks here is that he shouldn't have stuck his head in front of that axe.  

No, I don' think that is the case, but I think most people think the charge is ridiculous. Why is this crime anymore heinous than if it was a white kid the guy got into an argument with, and axed him (a question) instead.

How do you think the parents of a white victim of a crime feel when they realize that because their child wasn't black, the murder is somehow less heinous, and has different rules.

I think the concept of having "hate crimes" is to deter racists or potential racists from comitting crimes. Essensially the Government has to combat racism somehow and this is one of the strongest ways of doing so.

Whether it works or not is an entirely different matter seeing as this tradgedy happened. I hope the murderers rot/burn in hell.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the concept of having "hate crimes" is to deter racists or potential racists from comitting crimes. Essensially the Government has to combat racism somehow and this is one of the strongest ways of doing so.

Whether it works or not is an entirely different matter seeing as this tradgedy happened. I hope the murderers rot/burn in hell.

Yeah, but that is bogus reasoning as far as I am concerned...if someone is racist enough that they decided they are going to kill their "enemy" whoever they may be, then the threat of a more severe sentence is not going to stop them. And if someone is involved in a situation involving confrontation, it is usually a "heat of the moment" thing, and thoughts of punishment usually don't enter.

As some one else said on another thread, its BS liberal "feel good" legislation and nothing more...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree wholeheartedly...some of my more famous rants against my liberal acquantances have been over the whole hate crime nonsense.   Dead is dead, doesn't make a hill of beans what the friggin' reason is.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#22]
While it is a tragedy and the victim did go to extra lengths to avoid a confrontation it does not make his death even more tragic because of his race, religion, sex, ect... . If the laws were actually enforced (speaking for the U.S.A. laws with concern to the un-necessary PC attachments)as they are written there would be no need for the liberal scaling system that wishes to attach certain grading points to punishment based on PC generated propoganda. All this does is to make one class of people more special than another and only contributes to an inequitable system of laws that marginalizes some and grants special previledges to others.  The fact is it was vicious murder and should be treated as such to the fullest extent of the law without concern for whether it deserves more or less priority based on genetics, sexual preference, color of skin, x/ y chromosome combinations, ect... .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top