Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 8:18:44 PM EDT
Parently World of Warcraft is now being studied for economic theory. Never would have thought the Gecko 45 like trolls of the internet would possibly help our economy.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the Chinese plat farmers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
In WoW just like in real life the Chinese out produce everyone else.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
i've been saying for several years that MMORPGs are pretty elegant laboratories for the social sciences.  want to do an economic simulation?  you can do it mathematically using agent-based modelling and a whole shitload of programming, or you could write a simple browser game and see actual human decision-making at work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a case of life imitating art.  Several TV shows and books have explored similar concepts.

Some of them from several years back.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
World of warcraft aint got shit on the EVE economy
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Before I cashed out of gaming completely. I was a console gamer. WTF is EVE?

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
WoW has a pretty good basic fundamentals of supply and demand.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i've been saying for several years that MMORPGs are pretty elegant laboratories for the social sciences.  want to do an economic simulation?  you can do it mathematically using agent-based modelling and a whole shitload of programming, or you could write a simple browser game and see actual human decision-making at work.
View Quote

Eve Online is probably the best example.  Virtually every single item that is purchasable is player made and sold.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I will probably get band for saying this, but i think what would stop the inflation in wow is to cap the amount of gold you can have. You can have unlimited equity in items, but capped at the physical amount of Gold.
It would make one continue to buy items thus keeping the "poor" working to make items
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In short, a space massively multiplayer online game.  It is absolutely real.  It is entirely player driven, the developers will occasionally put some new non player driven events in the game but they are a sideshow compared to what players choose to do.

Read me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will probably get band for saying this, but i think what would stop the inflation in wow is to cap the amount of gold you can have. You can have unlimited equity in items, but capped at the physical amount of Gold.
It would make one continue to buy items thus keeping the "poor" working to make items
View Quote

There is a gold cap in WoW 999k is the max you can have.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In short, a space massively multiplayer online game.  It is absolutely real.  It is entirely player driven, the developers will occasionally put some new non player driven events in the game but they are a sideshow compared to what players choose to do.

Read me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read me.

Do they still have an economist do quarterly reports on the game economy? I know they used to yeaaaaars ago when I played.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
WoW has been used in the past to study disease transmission. From what I remember an in game communicable "disease" developed on some realms. And the way it spread from city to city made for a good simulation before the GMs and developers corrected it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Corrupted Blood Incident

Was working that week a bit more than usual, so missed most of the fun before they fixed it. But a lot was learned from the situation. People literlaly fled the cities for a bit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Should have been on a few years back when they did the zombie experiment one Sunday morning. That was a blast and all for research.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Can I get a port to Dalaran?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't even consider thumping that vein.  EvE is a massive multiplayer online role playing game... in space.  It's a massive universe with so much content and ways to play that its overwhelming.

This is the most accurate depiction of the learning curve in EvE you'll ever see.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Don't even consider thumping that vein.  EvE is a massive multiplayer online role playing game... in space.  It's a massive universe with so much content and ways to play that its overwhelming.

This is the most accurate depiction of the learning curve in EvE you'll ever see.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3088/2335016192_6003c39c4c_z.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3088/2335016192_6003c39c4c_z.jpg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top