Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:18:15 AM EDT
I own the WORLD AT WAR box set which was produced in the 1970's I believe.  Although it's a little dated it's a very comprehensive look at the war.  Contains a lot of interesting interviews and some footage I have yet to see elsewhere.  All WW2 fanatics should own it.  But I want MORE  Now we've seen a plethora of WW2 DVDs flood the market but I suspect that most of these are of low or average quality.  I'm interested in only the best.  Anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The World at War is the standard that all others are compared to regarding the war as a whole.  The only other thing to look for would be something that focuses on a specific event like Bataan or D-Day. Even then it would be difficult to pick.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I always like the documentary WWII Victory at Sea, I forget how many DVDs are in the set, something like 5.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Frank Capra's "Why We Fight" series is next after "The World At War."

You will want the John Ford films "December 7th" and "The Battle of Midway", they are both part of a boxed set of documentaries "World War II: Greatest Battles."

Also strongly recommend PBS "The Battle of Britain."

"Victory At Sea" is also pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]
"The Color Of War" from the History Channel is also a good choice  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"The Color Of War" from the History Channel is also a good choice  

Excellent. Almost any History Channel DVD has good production values.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the feedback.  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a set called WWll: The Complete History. 9 DVDs/30 hours of those 5-10 minute newsreel type films that were so popular at the time. It's produced by Madacy Home Video. I think I found it in WalMart's $5.50 bin. I also have Victory at Sea around here somewhere. Forgot I had it.

The World At War is at the top of my "must buy" list. Just have to scrape together the dough for it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
While we are at it "The Century of Warfare" is a damn good box set.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#10]
How's the movie "The Great Raid"? I saw it on the shelf.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The Great Raid is very average.  Moves prettly slowly and it's not particularly engaging.  I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the Battlefield Europe which i think was originally a BBC series. Lots of computer re-creations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top