Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2002 9:06:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#1]
My bank holds ALL money orders and cashier's checks over night. Funds are available the next morning. Sounds like something worth checking into when considering changing banks...
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]
US Postal Money Orders are the only way to go!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I just had a member here try to steal $600 from me.  

I paid him for a pistol and he then told me about 6 days later (when the pistol should have been in my safe) that he changed his mind.  I noticed that he had it advertised on other sites for more than what I paid for it.  Long story short, it's taken me a week just to get the puke to refund my PayPay payment.  I had to threaten calling my attorney.  I'll never buy another pistol from a private dealer in CA again.  It was the most aggravating experience I've ever had buying a gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just had a member here try to steal $600 from me.  

I paid him for a pistol and he then told me about 6 days later (when the pistol should have been in my safe) that he changed his mind.  I noticed that he had it advertised on other sites for more than what I paid for it.  Long story short, it's taken me a week just to get the puke to refund my PayPay payment.  I had to threaten calling my attorney.  I'll never buy another pistol from a private dealer in CA again.  It was the most aggravating experience I've ever had buying a gun.
View Quote

I noticed you didnt print the persons name
The offending party should be exsposed for the good of the next person who may have dealings with him.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I noticed you didnt print the persons name
The offending party should be exsposed for the good of the next person who may have dealings with him.
View Quote

I second that!  Post his name and town when you get a chance.  That shit is unacceptable!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#7]
You think them holding a Money Order is insane how about this?
I closed on a mortgage about a month ago. When I took the certified check issued by Bank X (a large National Bank) to my bank, Bank Y (yet another large National Bank) they held the certified funds for 7 days. I did have access to a small portion of the funds, but the bulk of it was held for a full business week.
I don’t believe for a second that two large National Banks cant or don’t communicate with each other electronically practically constantly.
I shouldn’t of even had to wait for a paper check, I should of just gotten a receipt from the closing company saying $XX.XX has been deposited in your account.
Greed is a bad thing [:(]

Short story about Banks and greed.
An old gentleman I use to know was a young man when TSHTF in '29.
He owned his home, with a modest mortgage payment. In the same bank that held his mortgage, he had enough cash on deposit "to pay off the mortgage twice"
When the banks ran out of cash, his bank told him sorry, the money is gone. We might be able to return a PORTION of your funds at a later date.
His mortgage payments were still expected to be paid in a timely manner.
Several months later, he lost his job, became unable to make his payments, and then guess what happened. They took his house.
Did I mention that greed is bad?

Holding certified funds for a week is theft of interest, nothing less. The bank gets to play with our money for a week for free.

Any Bankers in the house want to comment?

echo6

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife's credit union (one of the best, Orange County Teacher's Credit Union) also puts a hold on deposited checks.  The last one was a Merrill Lynch check issued by the local office but on a NY bank.  I think it was 5-8 days.  These kinds of fees are the only way banks and credit unions can get some easy money out of us when the business cycle is down.

I'll never forget the fun I had with a mortgage check once.  It was in '80 and the amount was $27,000 and I attempted to cash it at the bank it was drawn on in Long Beach.  They could only find $13,000 in cash and I ended up taking the rest in a cashier''s check.  Still it was fun finding out if bank's really had cash and would honor their own checks.  

On the other hand I once deposited a check at my wife's credit union at the ATM and it showed up as a deposit to [b]my[/b] credit union in Hollywood instantly.!!!!  That was cool.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Muad-

Sounds like this dude just needed a short term loan.

Tell his azz you aints no damn Paycheck Advance place.

I had some guy try that same thing on me.

And, I recently sold my Gibson acoustic for 8000.00 and recieved a cashiers check from a Md. bank.I had to wait 10 days for it to clear.Bastages.

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've never been all that crazy about credit unions. They don't have to obey the same rules as the banks and your deposits are not FDIC insured.
View Quote

Before I joined a federal credit union, the "National Bank" I was with for over 12 years soaked me for service charges left and right. My credit union is FDIC insured and there are no service charges except for bad checks. They offer the same services as a bank without gouging you, and are much easier to borrow money from.

I wouldn't go back to a conventional bank for all the toasters in the world.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the heads-up on the money orders HiramRanger.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anybody considered creating a "Board of Inquiry', similar to that on subguns? Where one can post inquiries as well as good or bad experiences regarding a seller or buyer.
Unfortunately, its become painfully obvious that Muad_Dib's is not the only case of fraud lately on this board
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd post his name, but I'm waiting until the money actually shows back up on my credit card statement.  I took the precautions of paying through paypal and with a credit card so that if this happened I'd at least have some way of getting my money back.  

I'll say this though.  The guy who tried to rob me is a member of several gun forums and I noticed his adds on all of them.  I'd be really suprised if I'm the only guy that paid him for that pistol.

As soon as I'm 100% sure that my money is safely back where it should be I'll post the entire story.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll say this though.  The guy who tried to rob me is a member of several gun forums and I noticed his adds on all of them.  I'd be really suprised if I'm the only guy that paid him for that pistol.
View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody offered him a much higher price and that's why he backed out of the transaction. Wouldn't be the first time thats happened.

Either way, I would immediately call my CC company and have the charges reversed as I wouldn't trust him to refund your money. Also, do post the name when all is over. Good luck
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude, Bank of America holds checks from Bank of America for 3 days! It's their own friggin bank and they still sit on it. They are a greater threat to homeland security than OBL. And don't get me started on the friggin rat bastard
phone companies. I swear they try to rape me every single month. Atleast the banks will tell you up front so you have time to grease up.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Banks = legal theft. They are thieves.

Lets not forget some of the other crooks.....
cable company
phone company
cell phone company
credit card company
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Banks = legal theft. They are thieves.

Lets not forget some of the other crooks.....
cable company
phone company
cell phone company
credit card company
View Quote

Pffft, minor league players there.

#1 on the all time hit list----Insurance Companies.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]
If they do this for 100 transactions a day the interest would bump them up a couple of percentage points. IF you all will send me a 1,000 clams, I'll give you back 1,000.01 clams in a week.  I'll live off the interest.
(Don't send me no stinking shells) The above is only for illustration purposes only.   I would never try to get over on my fellow firearms enthusiasts.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#19]
If you go the MO route accept them only from the US Post Office or Western Union.

they can be cashed on the spot at any post office or western union office.

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Who's pulling the biggest scam? I'll tell you. Mortgage companies. Average home buyers live in house less than 5 years. On a 30 year loan you don't even put a dent in principle. 5 yrs. of interest in their pocket. Then what? The next guy takes out a loan and the whole process starts over. You go buy a new house and start over too. They are making a killing. We are all getting screwed.[:(!]

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you go the MO route accept them only from the US Post Office or Western Union.

View Quote

Yes but do they charge you to cash it?[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#22]
There is no fee to cash a postal money order.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes but do they charge you to cash it?[>:/]
View Quote

both charge a fee to the buyer of the money order. There is no fee to cash either one of them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Its all the same everywhere!   When my step-dad died my mother turned in his life insurance policy,got the check put it into her account.
 Took 13 days to be deposited into her acount,so the bank used that money(thousands) for thirteen days interest free!

Blah no wonder people hate banks!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Thats odd, my bank treats all money orders as if they were cash.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
US Postal Money Orders are the only way to go!
View Quote

Agree I Do!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top