Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2001 8:43:38 AM EDT
Anyone know of the origin of the following words (for educational purpose only - not to demean anyone on this board).

Zipper Head
(e.g. US soldiers calling the VC enemy "zipper head").

Poon Tang
(e.g. in reference to the female genital).

Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
From the OED (Oxford English Dictionary):

No entry for 'zipperhead'

poontang, n.

U.S. slang.

Sexual intercourse, sex; women collectively, or a woman, regarded as a means of sexual gratification. Also attrib. Hence as v. intr., to copulate.

1929 T. WOLFE Look Homeward, Angel 343 A fellow's got to have a little Poon Tang. 1947 C. WILLINGHAM End as Man II. vii. 78 Poley looked out the window and saw a pretty Negro girl on the sidewalk... ‘Eye that poon tang there,’ he said. 1959 R. CONDON Manchurian Candidate ii. 21 Every now and then I think about you coming all the way to Korea from New Jersey to get your first piece of poontang. 1966 C. HINES Heat's On xv. 122 That ain't our racket. We just sells poontang here. 1968 E. J. GAINES Bloodline 144 Yesterday this time I was poon~tanging like a dog. 1970 D. DODGE Hatchetman x. 127 ‘Is it true what they say about gook women?’..‘I heah it changes youah luck, though. Like black poontang.’ 1972 ‘T. COE’ Don't lie to Me iv. 44 May be you're some kind of poontang sex maniac. 1972 Listener 22 June 845/2 Massa gonna smack yo black ass, nigger. You can't go chasing white poontang all night long. 1976 Honolulu Star-Bull. 21 Dec. E-10/6 (Advt.), The other girls majored in home ec...but Debby majored in Poon-tang.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Zipper-head:
Believe term is older than Vietnam....
Tried to get my uncle..(WWII vet) heard him use that term once for German sub-machine gunner.
Was a machinegun call'd MG-42 or MG-44 I think (before my time) called the Zipper, because of the rounds-per-sec speed.
Older VETS am I right 'bout this?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
the german machine gun (MG42) fired something like 1200-1400 RPM, vs. the MG38 which fired like 800 RPM.
the MG42 was known as "hitlers zipper", known for the zzzzzzzzz sound that came from the guns high rate of fire, which scared the piss out of the allie troops.

i doubt theres any connection between the gun and the term "zipper head".
i think it might refer to the vietmanese facial appearance and/or stature. but thats just a guess

(i hope i got my german machines name and RPMs correct, someone correct me if im wrong)
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
"Zipperhead" used to be an old IBM term for people who are stupid or have a closed mind.

"Poon tang" could be from the French "putain", or prostitute, but in the US it used to mean having sex with colored women or a colored woman's private parts ("colored" included Asians in the old days). It goes at least as far back as the 1920's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Can someone help me determine what my
username means?
Many thanks, jewbait out
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#6]
jewbait, back when i was just a wee kiddy, my grandfather decided he'd make fun of a few people so he told them that they could go down to the boat docks, and bait worms for money. He then told them that once they got experienced, they could go to college and become a master in baiting, aka master-baiter. Why do you go around usin a name that implies you're a jewish master-baiter
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh thats cute. I'm kinda PO'ed
But I see exactly how you arrived at that.
But..............WRONG ANSWER.....dipdunk.

Contrary to popular belief, I had family in
Europe during WWII, and believe me, the
stories my grand-daddy told me about the
origin of the word "jewbait" is NOTHING like
the story your's told you.
And needless to say, I like my story better.
:)

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#8]
from www.dictionary.com

jewbait . (ju - bate)
n. - dumbass
adj. - fucking dumbass
v. - fuckoff
usage. - fuckoff, fucking dumbass

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top